TOBY458

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hello

I picked up a box of 50, 416 Barnes TSX bullets today for a steal. They are 350 grain. Do any of you have experience with this bullet on Cape Buffalo? I'll be shooting them in either a 416 Ruger or 416 Rem Mag. I've read good things about this bullet weight in a 416, but I usually prefer heavy bullets. I know the Barnes changes the rules on bullet weight a bit, so they may be good. Thoughts?

You cant go wrong with Barnes bullets. I had the choice on my recent buffalo hunt and went with the advise of many here as well as the company that reloaded and went with Swift A frames. Devastating results on my buff. I should add I was using a 375 Ruger with 300 grain bullets.

the short answer to your question is: 350gr is probably near the ideal weight for a .416" mono-metal bullet for use on heavy dangerous game.

long answer: most Mono-metal bullets (ex: Barnes TSX) rely heavily on speed for performance and reliability. the faster you push these bullets the more damage they will do and the less likely they will fail to open. Barnes TSX and other similar mono-metal bullets will penetrate deeper then same weight lead bullets largely due to the way they open up. where a lead bullet will mushroom and create a great deal of resistance in an animal the Barnes TSX will open in a flower shape with sharp pedals which cut/rip threw flesh reducing the resistance on the bullet. a 350gr Barnes TSX will penetrate as well or more likely better then a 400gr expanding lead bullet.

however, be aware that the 350gr TSX will very likely pass clean threw the animal on a broadside shot. if you would prefer your bullets to stay in the animal and reduce the risk of hitting a second animal then a 400gr lead expanding bullet such as the Swift A-frame is a better choice.

-matt

350 grain TTSX are my choice in the 416 Rigby.
I expect the same excellent performance from them as I have had in other calibers with the same bullet.
Take some pictures and share them with us, if you recover the bullets!

Good luck.

the short answer to your question is: 350gr is probably near the ideal weight for a .416" mono-metal bullet for use on heavy dangerous game.

long answer: most Mono-metal bullets (ex: Barnes TSX) rely heavily on speed for performance and reliability. the faster you push these bullets the more damage they will do and the less likely they will fail to open. Barnes TSX and other similar mono-metal bullets will penetrate deeper then same weight lead bullets largely due to the way they open up. where a lead bullet will mushroom and create a great deal of resistance in an animal the Barnes TSX will open in a flower shape with sharp pedals which cut/rip threw flesh reducing the resistance on the bullet. a 350gr Barnes TSX will penetrate as well or more likely better then a 400gr expanding lead bullet.

however, be aware that the 350gr TSX will very likely pass clean threw the animal on a broadside shot. if you would prefer your bullets to stay in the animal and reduce the risk of hitting a second animal then a 400gr lead expanding bullet such as the Swift A-frame is a better choice.

-matt
Great info Matt! I used 300gr TSX in a 375 on Water Buffalo and they worked flawlessly. I figured the 416 would have to do as well, or better. It's good to hear that the 350gr was a good choice. They should shoot flat enough for plains game, and still do very well on buffalo. Sounds like an upgraded 375 to me!

I consider the 300gr TSX to be too heavy for most 375 cartridges, max weight for most 375 cartridges should be 270gr. I had a conversation with the guys at the Barnes booth at the DSC show and they actually told me the only reason they still produced the 300gr .375" and 400gr .416" bullets was that people still insisted on using them. the guys at the show explained most of what I said in the above post and insisted that lighter bullets were more effective when it came to the TSX.

a good example of this would be @KMG Hunting Safaris and his use of the 200gr GS custom bullets in his camp 375. when it comes to mono-metal bullets, its speed that kills.

-matt

So Toby458 are you taking a buffalo on the PawPrints group hunt? That would be awesome!

I use the 200gr GS Custom in my 375 Ruger and get great accuracy. That 200gr is longer than a 250gr cup and core bullet and over penatration is definitely a concern. Have yet to run a 200 through a animal but I load a 40gr hv in a 22-250 and it has taken 4 deer without leaving a bullet in one. Including a 172 yard shot on a quartering deer, that little bullet entered just behind front shoulder and exited in front of opposite hind quarter traveling through 23”-24” of deer. So if hunting in herd situation great care must be taken to not have multiple hits.
Shawn

I haven't ever used the 350 TSX, but I have used the TSX and the TTSX. And they do penetrate much better than lead core bullets! You are going to have a hard time finding load data for it in a .416 Ruger. (I assume this is the rifle your using it in because you had another thread on that.) Data for anything lighter than 400 grains in that cartridge is hard to come by. I know there is some data online by people who have used Quickload, but Quickload is a mathematical construct, so should you choose to go that route, you . You will be okay using midrange data for a 400 grain monometal (like Nosler's on their website) as a starting point and working up. It's a pretty vouminous case considering how short it is and I have yet to get any pressure signs, even pushing a 340 grain woodleigh to almost 2600 fps. My other advice would be to use the 350 grain Tipped TSX as they tend to expand a little better because the cavity in the nose is a hair bigger to accomodate the plastic tip. Good hunting!!

About a month ago there was a very "lively" discussion on what was the best bullet for buffalo using a 416 Rigby. IvW posted several comments on this thread that were based on his extensive experience as a PH. I made my decision based on his recommendation. I've never hunted buffalo so anything I say would be "third hand" I prefer you read IvW's comments and make your own choice.

I don't like Barnes X especially in lighter bullets for DG.

400-450gr forward weighted bullets(bonded lead), such as North Fork, Rhino or Swift A frame.

DG hunting, especially buffalo is best done with heavy, forward weighted bullets and not light rear weighted bullets.

Over penetration is a dangerous ploy when hunting, especially Cape Buffalo.

Deflection, irrespective of penetration is a serious issue with rear weighted bullets.

Ideally you want the bullet to mushroom 2 or 2.5 times bullet diameter(every time not only sometimes and not loose petals), have enough weight to smash through heavy bone if needed, end up under the skin on the opposite side, travel at a muzzle velocity of 2200-2400 fps(more is not ideal).

The three bullets mentioned do this consistently.

........... .416 Ruger............. Data for anything lighter than 400 grains in that cartridge is hard to come by. .......!

When I have been unable to find load data I have called BARNES directly. 1 (800) 574 - 9200
I called and asked for a load and got the response "Which powder do you want to use?"
I stipulated my powder choice and was given the range of loads MIN/MAX.

When I have been unable to find load data I have called BARNES directly. 1 (800) 574 - 9200
I called and asked for a load and got the response "Which powder do you want to use?"
I stipulated my powder choice and was given the range of loads MIN/MAX.
They had data for their 350 and 300 grain bullets in .416 Ruger? I emailed them a while back and they told me they didn't have data for that cartridge. must be I got the wrong guy.

No idea. Get the technical guy on the phone. They may not have it. I was surprised I was offered a selection of powders for the 416 Rigby.

If I can swing the trip, buffalo is at the top of my list!

You you gotta go now man! Everybody is looking forward to having you in camp! It's going to be a blast!

Toby458, if you can get the finances to go, you need to do it. I waited too long to go to Africa and I deeply regret it. Now I’m 70 and just don’t have enough time left to get my bucket list done. If I win $1,000,000 in some lottery it’s going to get me some big guy to haul my scrawny butt around on Safaris...but not likely going to happen.
Please do your best to get yourself on a buffalo hunt! You’ll never regret it!
Best

Toby458, if you can get the finances to go, you need to do it. I waited too long to go to Africa and I deeply regret it. Now I’m 70 and just don’t have enough time left to get my bucket list done. If I win $1,000,000 in some lottery it’s going to get me some big guy to haul my scrawny butt around on Safaris...but not likely going to happen.
Please do your best to get yourself on a buffalo hunt! You’ll never regret it!
Best
Well, if you do win the lotto, I'm pretty strong, so keep me in mind!

I don't like Barnes X especially in lighter bullets for DG.

400-450gr forward weighted bullets(bonded lead), such as North Fork, Rhino or Swift A frame.

DG hunting, especially buffalo is best done with heavy, forward weighted bullets and not light rear weighted bullets.

Over penetration is a dangerous ploy when hunting, especially Cape Buffalo.

Deflection, irrespective of penetration is a serious issue with rear weighted bullets.

Ideally you want the bullet to mushroom 2 or 2.5 times bullet diameter(every time not only sometimes and not loose petals), have enough weight to smash through heavy bone if needed, end up under the skin on the opposite side, travel at a muzzle velocity of 2200-2400 fps(more is not ideal).

The three bullets mentioned do this consistently.
In the heavier weight bullets, do you find the 450 grain is better than the 400 as far as buffalo are concerned?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg