Backup Gun!

Rubi_300

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
Pheasants Forever, Freemasons, Safari Club International, O.G.C.A.
Starting the planning of my African safari for sometime in 2024 or 2025. This’ll be my first trip so going for a good mix of plains game. So far on the list is a few zebra (I want set of zebra chairs), Kudu, springbok, gemsbok, warthog and wildebeest. I am hoping to have 10 days of hunting and wouldn’t mind going for a giraffe or Cape buffalo if the opportunity presents itself.

I am taking a model 70 super grade maple in 300wm as my primary rifle. I am starting to think of a backup gun and have been thinking of getting something in 375 H&H. Came real close at buying a 375 H&H Ruger no 1 today but couldn’t see eye to eye on what the gun was worth with the seller.

I love the “allure” of a No 1 but don’t think it’s going to be the right backup gun if I get one in 375. I wouldn’t feel comfortable shooting a Cape buffalo with a single shot.

I like the idea of bringing a 375 H&H as a backup since if I decide to go after a buffalo I will have a gun for it. Also seems to me like I won’t be too over gunned on the plains game with it.

Now I am thinking of getting another model 70 but in 375 to bring for backup. Don’t want to go too crazy in price on this gun since it might not get used for this trip but want something nice still in case it gets brought on another trip. I am a big fan of the m77’s too.

Are there any other gun 375 rifles I may be missing out on considering for this? Thanks!

Starting the planning of my African safari for sometime in 2024 or 2025. This’ll be my first trip so going for a good mix of plains game. So far on the list is a few zebra (I want set of zebra chairs), Kudu, springbok, gemsbok, warthog and wildebeest. I am hoping to have 10 days of hunting and wouldn’t mind going for a giraffe or Cape buffalo if the opportunity presents itself.

I am taking a model 70 super grade maple in 300wm as my primary rifle. I am starting to think of a backup gun and have been thinking of getting something in 375 H&H. Came real close at buying a 375 H&H Ruger no 1 today but couldn’t see eye to eye on what the gun was worth with the seller.

I love the “allure” of a No 1 but don’t think it’s going to be the right backup gun if I get one in 375. I wouldn’t feel comfortable shooting a Cape buffalo with a single shot.

I like the idea of bringing a 375 H&H as a backup since if I decide to go after a buffalo I will have a gun for it. Also seems to me like I won’t be too over gunned on the plains game with it.

Now I am thinking of getting another model 70 but in 375 to bring for backup. Don’t want to go too crazy in price on this gun since it might not get used for this trip but want something nice still in case it gets brought on another trip. I am a big fan of the m77’s too.

Are there any other gun 375 rifles I may be missing out on considering for this? Thanks!
I guess you could go 375 ruger. Not a lot of American made new choices. If you go euro bring money. Those two are about it unless you go to the used market. Those two are control round feed if that makes a difference.

I’d buy the 375 and use it for your hunt. I used a 375 on my last safari and shot everything from warthog, Cape buffalo cow and a lioness. Oh, and just take one gun.

Buy a 375 and leave the 300WM at home...now everything is on the menu and you will not be over-gunned for any PG animal. Consult with your PH about what camp rifles they have in the event you need a backup. Traveling light with just one rifle is what I prefer.

There are a lot of good used rifles out there...CZ550, Kimber, MRC or Dakota come to mind.

Personally I like the 375H&H, but whichever flavor 375 you like...RUGER, RUM, WBY...etc

My first trip I took 2 375h&hs. It matters where you hunt for pg.

I'm prepping for my second trip, and am considering a second gun, but just because there's other guns I want to hunt with - not because of needing a back up or for a buffalo (I don't think buff is in the cards this trip). My primary (providing my load development continues to be solid) will be a 1943 Savage 99 in .300 Savage. But I've also considered taking my 1895 in .30-06. Who knows? It's a part of the enjoyment, right?

I do like what Flewis said about considering .375 Ruger. At times there seems to be a few at better prices (than a .375 H/H) on GunBroker. I have a few friends up here who use them for bears and moose, and they like them a lot.

Best of wishes on your planning sir!

If you are definitely going to pursue buffalo, get a .375 (H&H, Ruger, RUM or Weatherby). As far as taking one rifle, although I see the simplicity of taking a single rifle to a handle it all, I tend to go in the opposite direction. It doesn’t take much more effort to take two rifles. That .300 mag M70 is a fine rifle for all PG.
If buffalo is only a possibility, ask your PH if they have a suitable buffalo rifle available for rent if needed and only take your .300.

With everyone else buy a 375H&H. Second, it look like you are wanting a lot of zebra skin. If flying to JNB it might be cheaper to buy already tanned skins at the airport or Cambanos off airport.

On both of my safaris I thought about taking a backup rifle.

But on both I figured that if something happened to my rifle I would then just rent one from the outfitter.

If something should happen to the rifle on the flights where it didn't end up with me on the hunt it isn't going to help to have a backup one since you will have both rifles in the same case on the trip over.

With everyone else buy a 375H&H. Second, it look like you are wanting a lot of zebra skin. If flying to JNB it might be cheaper to buy already tanned skins at the airport or Cambanos off airport.
Yeah, but it's nice to have something you are responsible for harvesting in your living room...vs something that came from an airport gift shop.

I took a Model 70 Super Grade Maple in 300 winmag on a couple of hunts in Africa. Great rifle and caliber for zebra and everything else up to eland. You probably won't need a back-up rifle, but a Model 70 in 375 H&H would be a good choice--also a good single rifle choice as others have said above.
I took a 375H&H double rifle on my trips because I was hunting buffalo and just because a double is so much fun to hunt with.

I guess you could go 375 ruger. Not a lot of American made new choices. If you go euro bring money. Those two are about it unless you go to the used market. Those two are control round feed if that makes a difference.
I wouldn’t mind something European, not wanting to drop 20k on a new rigby or the likes, I’ll buy a nice double before I do that. Are there any vintage used Europeans that are say under 4k that would fit the bill? I’m getting into the euro guns so I am not well versed as to what’s out there.

I took a Model 70 Super Grade Maple in 300 winmag on a couple of hunts in Africa. Great rifle and caliber for zebra and everything else up to eland. You probably won't need a back-up rifle, but a Model 70 in 375 H&H would be a good choice--also a good single rifle choice as others have said above.
I took a 375H&H double rifle on my trips because I was hunting buffalo and just because a double is so much fun to hunt with.
Do you have any pics of your game with the rifle in it? I’m obsessed with the maple guns. I was able to get a a5 ultimate in maple and have been waiting for a 725 citori field model to come in maple (if it ever does). I love browning and Winchester guns and it’s nice to see them doing some maple runs of their guns. Trying to get one of each lol.

I'm prepping for my second trip, and am considering a second gun, but just because there's other guns I want to hunt with - not because of needing a back up or for a buffalo (I don't think buff is in the cards this trip). My primary (providing my load development continues to be solid) will be a 1943 Savage 99 in .300 Savage. But I've also considered taking my 1895 in .30-06. Who knows? It's a part of the enjoyment, right?

I do like what Flewis said about considering .375 Ruger. At times there seems to be a few at better prices (than a .375 H/H) on GunBroker. I have a few friends up here who use them for bears and moose, and they like them a lot.

Best of wishes on your planning sir!
Since the 375 Ruger and 375 H&H are so close to each other in terms of ballistics I want to go the H&H route. Something about the romanticism of these old big bore English rounds when going for something on the dark continent.

I took 3 rifles last time 300wm, 375h&h, 416REM. It was a heavy, big, expensive case to fly with. Sometimes you want to use your guns as they were intended.

I drank the kool-aid and bought a R8. Next time it will be a 458Lott and a 7PRC. In a case half the size with less hassle.

That is no fun! And actually may be more money especially if you can findca good deal on zebra and get them tanned there so no dip and pack cost.

As for European bolt rifles, if you reload you may consider a 9.3x64. Very European;) Not a 375 H&H but I really doubt a buffalo could tell the difference if loaded hot with a 286 grain A Frame or the like. Or skip ahead of the progression you will go through (especially if you hang out on here with all us Enablers) and go directly to a 404 Jeffrey:)

Of course more practical to find a 375 H&H. Watch the classifieds on here and other sites, you'll find something.

Definitely just go ahead and take two guns. In fact consider 3, take your 300, a 375 or other larger caliber. And consider a shotgun or lightweight combination small caliber/shotgun.

I've been able to get 3 guns into a case and keep it at 50 to 51 pounds so get it on the plane without paying extra.

As for European bolt rifles, if you reload you may consider a 9.3x64. Very European;) Not a 375 H&H but I really doubt a buffalo could tell the difference if loaded hot with a 286 grain A Frame or the like. Or skip ahead of the progression you will go through (especially if you hang out on here with all us Enablers) and go directly to a 404 Jeffrey:)

Of course more practical to find a 375 H&H. Watch the classifieds on here and other sites, you'll find something.

Definitely just go ahead and take two guns. In fact consider 3, take your 300, a 375 or other larger caliber. And consider a shotgun or lightweight combination small caliber/shotgun.

I've been able to get 3 guns into a case and keep it at 50 to 51 pounds so get it on the plane without paying extra.
You are better than I! Mine was over the 75# limit, luckily the ladies behind the counter appreciated hearing how beautiful they were that evening. The case was sent on it's way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg