AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Virginia Bowhunters Association
So as preparing my backup bow I've come down to a minor issue. With my heavier arrows I can only sight it in up to 45 yards(sight wheel maxes out).
Bow setup as follows.....

2005 AR31 27.5" draw length, 65 pounds draw weight.
QAD drop away arrow rest
HHA DS-XL5010 Optimizer Lite Ultra sight(wheel style yardage dial).
And 600 gr(total) Easton Axis arrows with 50 grain brass inserts and VPA 200grain broadheads(same as for my primary bow).

Is what I'm trying to decide is.....

Keep the heavy arrows and only be ready out to 45 yards as this is just a "backup bow"?

Or, go with a lighter arrow(400-500 gr range?) and get dialed in to longer ranges?

Or, cough up the $$ for another sight that allows me to dial in for longer ranges with my heavier arrows? Only concern with this is that could be $$ towards a shoulder mount, trophy fee, etc.

Any guidance is well appreciated. Thanks again my friends and fellow adventure hunters,

DL

I think 45 yards sounds like plenty. Unless you plan on doing a lot of spot and stalk and taking long shots. I think most blinds are set up for shots well under that.

I personally do not shoot beyond the 30 yard mark .... even then I still prefer 20 yards or less ...... archery is about how close ..not how far !
Glen

Best way to decide this is talking to your outfitter about typical ranges. Generally speaking 45 ought to be plenty for shooting from a blind. Most are set up 25 or less.

My guide has informed me to be accurate out to 70 yards. We do plan to do some spot and stalk.

70?
You don't hear that every day. Not a lot of people claim that for proficient under hunting conditions.
This is your back up bow. Set your primary up to whatever your personal maximum is and on the freak chance you have to use the back up, know its limitations.

70 doesn't sound reasonable to me. Remember if you draw blood you bought the animal. I have never heard of an outfitter or an experienced archer that would expect that. Sorry if that sounds critical.

60 meters is what I have been informed of(so roughly 65 yards). Not sure why I thought 70 yards(perhaps because that's what I've been practicing at). But anyhow, I believe that this may be just a safe range to practice at due to if I'm accurate at 65 yards then the closer ranges will be no problem. But that's not exactly what I'm getting at. I'm more curious if I would be ok with a slightly lighter arrow for my backup bow or if it is better to just dial out to my max at 45yards and stick with the heavier arrow.
I recently ordered "The Archery Program Pro Software" so, when it arrives I plan to put in some data and find out what the difference in KE will be if I lighten the arrow up a bit. It would be nice if I could still be able to dial my arrows up to longer distances(rather I plan to shoot an animal that far or not) so that my shorter range shots are a piece of cake. However, I don't want to do this if the lighter arrows won't be effective on plains game in Namibia(I.E. Kudu, Gemsbuck, Wildebeest, Zebra, Warthog) while hunting from a hide as well as S&S.
Thank you my fellow hunters

70?
You don't hear that every day. Not a lot of people claim that for proficient under hunting conditions.
This is your back up bow. Set your primary up to whatever your personal maximum is and on the freak chance you have to use the back up, know its limitations.

This makes perfect sense. I couldn't agree more with "This is your backup bow". I was thinking that it doesn't have to be perfect, just suffice so that if anything were to happen to my primary bow then switching to this one would still keep me in the hunt without leaving me with wounded game running around Namibia due to using ineffective archery gear.

I took my game with arrows/broadheads that totaled in the 480 grain range. 71 lb bow with shots between 17 and 30 yards. Heavier arrows will penetrate better but I had 5 of 6 animals full pass thru. The other one was a kill but stopped on the opposite shoulder.

DoubleLunger as you can see the basic consensus on this board is you WILL NOT be shooting game at 65/ 75 yards ... fully agree practice out to these ranges but expect all your shots to be well inside of your 45 yard mark . Good luck play safe and I want to see lots of pictures when you get back !
Glen

I think.you can go lighter than 600 grains. I am bringing 480 grain arrows like the poster above. I have no doubt that will give me good penetration on plains game.

I do have a 30 inch draw which gives me a speed advantage over your setup. I also will be limiting my shots to 40 yards or less.

I would definitely look at the KE numbers for your setup at 60 and 70 yards as you will lose some at those ranges.

I won't say whether you should or should not take shots on game at those ranges. That's for you to decide if you are comfortable and that is within your effective range. Hell Fred Bear was flinging arrows farther than that out of his recurve 40+ years ago.

I went on an Archery hunt and I left an Impala in SA to die from the wound I gave it. The people told me that when it showed up they would take it to the Taxidermist for a skull mount. Well it didn't die any place that it was found or it just lived to be shot the next year since I shot it in October. It was a close shot the only thing I can figure out is my bow was at ground level and I was shooting up at the height of an Impala? Arrow went high. We didn't even track it since they were taping the shots as I shot them. That is when I figured out it wasn't for me to have a video but to prove I hit the animal or not!!!!

Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 8.45.07 PM.jpg
This was my shot from the video. A little higher and I would have spined it and it would have dropped in the spot.
I Pd for it got an Impala the next time I went to SA. Not as good as this one!

Impala are known to drop on the shot. I took mine at about 20 yards. Wouldn't try a shot out much past 30. Same with warthogs. I think there are some videos posted on here showing this.

DoubleLunger as you can see the basic consensus on this board is you WILL NOT be shooting game at 65/ 75 yards ... fully agree practice out to these ranges but expect all your shots to be well inside of your 45 yard mark . Good luck play safe and I want to see lots of pictures when you get back !
Glen

Well said.

I shoot often at 50-60 in the back yard. And have even had some fun at 100 when I had my single pin sight. But that is using field points and shooting at a square piece of plastic/fiber at known distances. Shooting at wild game with broadheads at distances that may be give or take 5 yards ( they tend to move even after you range them) is much more difficult. Your call on what you want to try. Good luck. You are sure to have a good time.

Thank you for the insight guys. And do not worry.....I do not plan on shooting at bouncing Impala at 70 plus yards. I was asking about my setup for my backup as I like to practice at longer ranges. Thanks again my fellow hunters

That certainly is high for an impala. Even if you were accurate to long distances, the time of flight ends up being over half a second which is actually a long amount of time.

I have video of small game moving while the arrow is in flight and over half way to them and dodging a lethal hit but still being tagged by the arrow. Very frustrating. The farthest I have shot an animal was 64 yards and it was a follow up shot on a pig I had already shot. I wouldn't mind taking a lower percentage shot on vermin that were free, so maybe a jackal or baboon? Even then, 70 yards would really be pushing it - those are small animals.

As for losing kinetic energy and momentum as long distance, I would not worry about that at all. A heavy arrow does not shed much power even at 70 yards. More of a problem by far is accuracy and time of flight.

just returned last week south africa shot maxima hunter 350 with150 grain drt broadhead total weight 575 with bowtech allegiance 70 pound draw 29 inch draw.shot 3 animals from pit blind at twenty yrds all arrows blew through kudu,warthog and nyala and hit 40 yrds beyond animal and skipped.went with mine set to keep all shots under 30 yrds to prevent trying to explain to wife why paid for animal couldnt find due to to bad shot or animal moving during arrow flight.really recommend heaviest arrow you can get buy with for maximum penetration.ph was really impressed with set up went through animals like a cross bow.seemed like always some wind (swirls alot) would hate to draw on a 8000 sable at 48 yrds and have wind drift cause bad shot.thats a bad a day(had previous post on site when is a arrow considered to heavy with some great feedback on the topic) heavy arrow also made my bow less noisy.also shooting out of pit blind on kudu (equivalent to shooting 6 feet above head did have fletching touch sight .not something I expected. good luck

I would stick with the same set up you have, momentum is what you want. 45 yards is 20 yards father than I shoot. Forrest

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lepani

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!