Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Love it! 'Was hoping to see the word crossbow featured, but sadly, no. LOL Crossbow in Rifle season, fine. Onyx lovers are going to hate this...

I can't find an argument against any of B&C's new guidelines. It seems they spent a lot of time on it, it's their club so it's their rules. They're not saying these items can't be used, just that if you use them you can't enter your trophy in their book.

Fair chase and ethics vary somewhat by the individual. Some will never agree to any of it and some want more strict requirements. My hat's off to their attempt at drawing a line and keeping watch to maintain the integrity of the organization... whether I agreed with everything or not.

I am not involved with B&C and care not what they think about hunting.

I do care about what regulations the state fish and game departments make.

So far, Texas has not gone crazy about outdoor ethics and I hope that remains unchanged.

Pheroze,
Seriously, what debate about technology?

between all our game cams (normal as well as LTE), we've harvested exactly 4 white tails this season...and that's 5 hunters, 3 of us hunting hard since bow season started in early October. We loads and loads of pictures of deer outside legal shooting hours, and the handful we get during legal shooting hours haven't really panned out for us.

I understand the decision on the scopes, but not on trail cams, either with B&C nor with any state wildlife and fisheries department. Does it matter if pics are transmitted in real time if you're a 2 hour walk away from that spot? Never been moose or elk, but I get that the trick is to stalk within a safe-ish distance of the bull, then start making noises like you're a cow, or maybe a competing bull.

One thing is for certain, there's no stalking to be done at all where I hunt. So many American beech and American sycamore trees, and the fallen leaves crunch like aluminum foil. You couldn't sneak up on a deer that was completely deaf.

Sgt Zim,
Do you think there could be a bit of posturing afoot here?

Happens all the time in Politics.

Sgt Zim,
Do you think there could be a bit of posturing afoot here?

Happens all the time in Politics.
with B&C? I suppose, but I don't understand how that could be good for them.

With the wildlife and fisheries people...they're usually the only good guys, relying on the science and common sense, of a given state's bureaucracies.

If they're posturing, especially in a red state like Utah, I really don't get it at all.

between all our game cams (normal as well as LTE), we've harvested exactly 4 white tails this season...and that's 5 hunters, 3 of us hunting hard since bow season started in early October. We loads and loads of pictures of deer outside legal shooting hours, and the handful we get during legal shooting hours haven't really panned out for us.

I understand the decision on the scopes, but not on trail cams, either with B&C nor with any state wildlife and fisheries department. Does it matter if pics are transmitted in real time if you're a 2 hour walk away from that spot? Never been moose or elk, but I get that the trick is to stalk within a safe-ish distance of the bull, then start making noises like you're a cow, or maybe a competing bull.

One thing is for certain, there's no stalking to be done at all where I hunt. So many American beech and American sycamore trees, and the fallen leaves crunch like aluminum foil. You couldn't sneak up on a deer that was completely deaf.
I don’t disagree with you that whitetail shouldn’t fall under this category, but there was another similar thread on here about trail cameras being banned in western states at waterholes because they were being used by hunters to get to the waterhole to shoot the elk as soon as photo sent. The fair chase argument is clear to see in this circumstance. A hunting organization applying an ethical standard is a good thing.

I don’t disagree with you that whitetail shouldn’t fall under this category, but there was another similar thread on here about trail cameras being banned in western states at waterholes because they were being used by hunters to get to the waterhole to shoot the elk as soon as photo sent. The fair chase argument is clear to see in this circumstance. A hunting organization applying an ethical standard is a good thing.
not being familiar with elk behavior, I still don't really understand the advantage. do elk hang around at the watering hole for hours on end, or are they in and out?

not being familiar with elk behavior, I still don't really understand the advantage. do elk hang around at the watering hole for hours on end, or are they in and out?
Someone living in a western state will have to comment. I tried to find the old thread but cannot. If several waterholes are in relatively close proximity, cameras sending notifications of animals at waterhole, combined with ability to take a long range shot raises clear ethical questions to me.

Sgt Zim
Sorry for being too subtle.

I meant the members that thrive on the attention they get for shooting the biggest or best, or most, or most dangerous, etc. animal .

I keep some of my "trophies" for the memories. Not to win a prize.

I know a few people that are quite excited about shooting every type of wild turkey, pig, duck, goose, bison/buffalo, elk, deer, sheep, etc.

To each his own, I reckon.

Someone living in a western state will have to comment. I tried to find the old thread but cannot. If several waterholes are in relatively close proximity, cameras sending notifications of animals at waterhole, combined with ability to take a long range shot raises clear ethical questions to me.
That makes sense. I would agree, that isn't really fair chase, not a lot different than throwing out a drone.

1641943017713.png

1641942981695.png

This is a cry for help.

To me, an organization that won't adapt will eventually die. One way or the other. I don't have a smart scope but I don't hate the idea. If something aids in making clean, quick kills and the hunter can shoot the given distance reliably, I have a hard time hating it. And the bit in the article about houndsmen not being able to use gps collars to locate and get to a treed cat faster is laughable to anyone who has hunted over hounds and enjoyed it in any manner. No good hound hunter is going to willingly ignore that and go listen for dogs barking treed or some other old fashioned way when they have invested in GPS collars. No need to let your dogs stand out in the elements and or potentially be in a scrape with a cat ( in the case of it being bayed up on the ground) longer than needed just for some numbers in a book.

On our farms in PA, if we received a text or e-mail photo (via realtime cam) the instant a big buck (or 850 lb bear) showed up at location x, we could get to that location (or a shooting position to cover that location) within 1-5 min of receipt. It "ain't" right. ;) But, for all the young, potential big bucks (and does carrying same) that get whacked via the same means, it's "ok." LOL "Why they call it Hunting, NOT Shooting. -Unk.

I'm waiting for the hunting buddy robots to be released. Just set it and forget it (watch the game w/ a beer inside while it collects your trophy!) :p The industry comes up with creative ideas to keep a certain percentage in the game, but in reality, only for-profit!
1641944174691.png

Water holes tend to be hot button topic out west.

Issue arises from the follow example:

Arizona in the Colorado Plateau area (where my family hunts elk), all the water holes are mapped and run similar to African bore holes…the only reliable place for water during dry years (like 2020).
Now, elk wander like 5-10 miles a day, but they can be patterned to a certain degree. If a man has a large area of water holes all tracked with game cameras linked to his phone, and has driving access (which they do for maintenance) he can easily route game animals that he has patterned. Now multiply that by 50 people with tags in one unit.
Highway hunters are a major annoyance on the plateau, but their blind calling as they drive along is not all that effective. However, live feed game cameras can change that, and suddenly the guy who has busted hump for 3 days stalking a bull gets beat to the punch by a highway hunter with a game camera system and a locating call. It’s both hard on game (because they can’t get a drink in the heat of the day), and hunters who are more traditional in their methods.

I'm waiting for the hunting buddy robots to be released. Just set it and forget it (watch the game w/ a beer inside while it collects your trophy!) :p The industry comes up with creative ideas to keep a certain percentage in the game, but in reality, only for-profit! View attachment 446186
Remember the rifles set up on lead sleds in blinds or facing a trail awhile back, and the "hunter" would fire them at game remotely from the comfort of his living room via a cell phone or computer? I think every state has since banned that practice. How damn lazy have some people gotten!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois