Australia for Retirement?

If not for the financial part it would be perfect for me, because my heart would stop the first time one of those many deadly snakes looked at me, so cost of living wouldn't be a concern.
Plenty of “Joe Blakes” around . Last year in Brisbane had an Eastern Brown in the swimming pool with me at one end and a python at the other . The Eastern Brown swam off one way and I walked on water the other direction . On a walk up pheasant and partridge shoot in Tasmania about 15 years ago we lost a beautiful young Spaniel to a big Tiger snake in late Autumn . I had walked straight past the snake but the dog flushed it . Dog was beyond saving and snake was gone . Our horses in Tasmania had protective gaiters on their legs when mustering cattle and sheep to protect against bites . I could go on about snake encounters but you’ve got the message . Otherwise a great place and I have lived and worked all round the world .

The best way to enter Australia .
1 fly to Indonesia & hire a people smuggler. Supported by the Indo gov & corrupt police.
2 Through all your ID away.
3 the smugglers will bring you to Aust in a leaky boat that will be intercepted by the Aust Navy.
4 The navy will issue you with a life jacket , hat & sun screen feed you ( remember no pork allowed )& give you medical attention.
5 you will be transported to a luxury dentition center & met by an immigration lawyer funded by the Australian tax payer. most likley an Indian or Pakistani who got in to Aust by this method.
6 Remember you must hate Australia & our way of live to pull this off . you will be released into the community by a government funded judge & go on social security you will not be expected to work,
just attend a pro Palestine rally every so often .
Remember that if you can speak English want to work, love the country & contribute to society you will be sent home, if they know where you come from, on a luxury jet funded by the stupid Aust tax payer.
Pretty much how it is at the moment I'm sad to say

If you are referring to Australia unless you go looking for trouble or are just plain unlucky snakes won’t bother you.
Australian snakes are only gonna bite when they feel threatened.
Common sense - won’t have a problem.
We have a lot of Brown snakes in NSW and they will chase you whether you provoke them or not....bastards of things...

Also I think you can’t travel to different states with a firearm ( hunting rifle) without buying a license and passing a background check From where you are trying to travel ??
#2 Australia doesn’t recognize a USCG captain license and has wierd cabotage laws
“”Cabotage laws apply to merchant ships in most countries that have a coastline so as to protect the domestic shipping industry from foreign competition, preserve domestically owned shipping infrastructure for national security purposes, and ensure safety in congested territorial waters.””

not that that would effect you , but definitely would discourage me

hopefully they welcome the protical child back home
I have no problems travelling with firearms anywhere in Australia . No licenses required . I shoot in Queensland , New South Wales , Tasmania . Main issues for hunting licenses are for Duck hunting ( I don’t participate ) . I shoot on my own properties or mates so I shoot anything I want . I own over 20 firearms ranging from shot guns to big nitro express doubles - can’t see any real impediments to firearm ownership . Not interested in semi auto or auto anything . Not sure about comments on cabotage . I have owned , managed and chartered large ships , dredges , tugs , ferries . We have restrictive requirements but no different to many other countries .

World class medical treatment didn't hold up too well during the pandemic. I think to a certain extent one needs to look forward to a different world than the one in the past, with different people in charge. The US still has the best constitutional protections. In many respects a two state approach is probably sound. Like live in Canada with rights to US. Then you have the social protection of "free medicare", and the right to hop the border if the water in the pot gets too hot. Typically Canada has been safer, and the US has been freer.

We have a lot of Brown snakes in NSW and they will chase you whether you provoke them or not....bastards of things...
Yes I have been chased quite a distance by a pair of Brown snakes when I was younger . Also had one fall out of a tree onto bonnet of a tractor I was operating . No cab and it wrapped itself around the wheel for what seemed an eternity . I climbed out over the three point linkage and stood on top of the slasher ( which was operating) until it moved on . Fortunately I was only in high first gear .

I have lived in Melbourne my whole life. I cant advise you on immigration requirements, but can definitely give you a few things to consider.

As far as financial issues, there is a bit to be aware of. Historically, the AUD is valued closer to the Canadian dollar than the USD. Right now, we get about USD$0.66 to one AUD. So you are getting close to two Aussie dollars for every USD.

Housing in the big cities is expensive. Sydney is far and away the most expensive, but Melbourne and Brisbane both have a median housing price of close to AUD$1,000,000. In rural areas, housing can be a lot cheaper, but in some country regions housing can be the same or more - typically areas on the coast or near the ski fields, etc. Generally the standard of living here is good, though the cost of living is high relative to the USA.

You need to understand that most states in Australia have little or no hunting on public land. So in many states you will have to pay at least for land access, and may only have access via fully guided hunting. This assumes you dont own acreage yourself, or at least know someone who does. The big exception is Victoria where a large (UGE!) area of public land can be hunted. I dont have time to write up a full guide to hunting Vic, but the short of it is large areas that can be hunted, primarily for Sambar deer, though there are opportunities for fallow deer, very limited hog deer and the odd pig or goat in some vary limited areas. A deer licence is all you need ad that costs around $60 per year, with no season as such ( a few exceptions to this) and no bag limit.

Happy to answer any questions - and I imagine there are many.
@rifletuner
In new South Wales we have millions of acres of public land that can be hunted free of charge. You just need a DPI game licence. Sixty buck a year.
Bob

I guess I could just bring my .35 Whelen and move into Bob's basement. Til I see a snake.
@freefall
Unlike Americans it's unusual for a house to have a basement in Australia.
If you have trouble getting your Whelen into Australia I will gladly lend you mine.
If'n y'all bring a 243 I will either be away in holidays or the house will be in quarantine with 243itis so no entry
Don't worry about a basement I have a spare room you would be more than welcome to use.
Snake free
In Australia we have a saying
What's got 100 balls and f##ks snakes??
A 12 gauge shot gun.
Bob

@freefall
Unlike Americans it's unusual for a house to have a basement in Australia.
If you have trouble getting your Whelen into Australia I will gladly lend you mine.
If'n y'all bring a 243 I will either be away in holidays or the house will be in quarantine with 243itis so no entry
Don't worry about a basement I have a spare room you would be more than welcome to use.
Snake free
In Australia we have a saying
What's got 100 balls and f##ks snakes??
A 12 gauge shot gun.
Bob
The Lovely Mrs could dig you a basement while we're there. She's very industrious, unlike me who specializes more in drinking beer and napping.

bee,s kill more people here than snakes. i ran into this rattle snake comming out of the woods during turkey season., left him as i found him. ALIVE.

DSCN0610.JPG
DSCN0611.JPG
DSCN0612 (2).JPG
DSCN0612.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
The Lovely Mrs could dig you a basement while we're there. She's very industrious, unlike me who specializes more in drinking beer and napping.
@freefall.
I wouldn't like to see your lovely wife on a shovel.
Maybe your wife and mine could go shopping while you and I did some drinking, talking and spinning some Lies to each other.
As long as we nap in SEPARATE ROOMS I'm fine with that.
There will be NO conversations with 243 in them. Anything else is open to discussion.
My door is always open. If'n it ain't just kick it in and make yourself at home.
Bob

I want her to have a shovel in case the snakes show up! At least a rake...
And she's not much of a shopper tho she's a way better story teller than me.
So she just as well stay and dig.

@
I want her to have a shovel in case the snakes show up! At least a rake...
And she's not much of a shopper tho she's a way better story teller than me.
So she just as well stay and dig.
@frwefall
Don't need a rake or a shovel for any snakes. You have to get to close to them to use those. I have three shot guns that should do.
Maybe we could all sit around and have a few beers and tell lies
Did I tell you about the time I was out fallow deer hunting and head shot a big buck at 300 yards. Killed it stone dead one shot with my trusty 177 spring powered twenty year old BSA air rifle. Those new plastic tip Diablo air rifle slugs perform pretty well. Mate the are the ducks guts in deer. Not as good as the Whelen but better than the 243.
Bob
1000001106.png

My opinion as well. In fact I actually got the immigration but after visiting it once I decided to just stay in US of A.
With so much wildlife, it should have been a sportsman paradise but laws make it impossible to enjoy the pastime as easily as what we have here. Similar, after spending most of my life in Texas where 75 mph on highway is common and even 90 MPH at some places, I cannot imaging driving for hours on a 60 KMPH highway with radar cameras and police on every corner.
Exactly. Thank you

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StevieMiel

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob