Aussie cartridge carrier

425SCHADE

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
With quality ammo carriers of predominantly US/European manufacture becoming quite expensive by the time they are shipped to Australia, it was pleasing to find these examples being produced here in Oz. I opted for two foam inserts allowing me carriage of 8 x "Large Centrefire" or 4 x "Big Bore" cartridges.
Photos show 7x57 and my .425, (I did need to trim the top off the foam to allow closure of the flap over the .425's)
The pouch can be clipped over a waistband or have a belt fed through the steel clip.

rmkleatherworks.com

20220516_171227.jpg
20220516_171243.jpg
20220516_171746.jpg

20220516_171325.jpg

20220516_172335.jpg

Very clever use of foam to hold the cartridges in place. Keeps them from rattling around.

Nice, I like leather shooting accessories.

I really like the butt stock ammo carriers from Murray Leather. The ammo is with the rifle, not on your belt. If you are hunting with two rifles (as a DG rifle and a PG rifle) you will not be caught out changing rifles.

I really like the butt stock ammo carriers from Murray Leather. The ammo is with the rifle, not on your belt. If you are hunting with two rifles (as a DG rifle and a PG rifle) you will not be caught out changing rifles.
I see your point and once thought like this. However in practice in an actual hunting scenario, it's much more difficult to pull cartridges from the buttstock than it is your waist.

For a tactical situation where you are grabbing a rifle or shotgun to defend your home/family/etc...the ammo on the firearm makes much more sense. Simply for the reason that this happens at a moments notice and you will not have time to grab ammo that is kept separately. Keeping your ammo belt with your hunting rifle is pretty simple in a hunting camp.

I see your point and once thought like this. However in practice in an actual hunting scenario, it's much more difficult to pull cartridges from the buttstock than it is your waist.

For a tactical situation where you are grabbing a rifle or shotgun to defend your home/family/etc...the ammo on the firearm makes much more sense. Simply for the reason that this happens at a moments notice and you will not have time to grab ammo that is kept separately. Keeping your ammo belt with your hunting rifle is pretty simple in a hunting camp.
When hunting as usual with just one rifle that I carry I use a 6 round slider on my belt. Never a separate ammo belt. If I am hunting with two rifles, as many apparently do in Africa, I do not want two sliders with different ammo on my belt, and do not know how I could manage TWO ammo belts. So, for me, the buttstock ammo holder is the right answer. Along with shooting practice with the same rig.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg