Ausie gunsmiths

AGNK

AH member
Reaction score
G’day all,
Planing on going to SA next year…I have a zkk602 which I’d like to convert to a 404j so looking for a gunsmith in Australia that can do this job for me….. so any first hand recommendations would be very very much appreciated

Cheers

What State are you in? If in Vic it may be worth contacting Bob De Vries at Kudu Services in Montrose. Unfortunately Bob, like many of the best smiths, is getting on a bit and may have retired.

Although I haven't had any work done by him, Rolf Bachnick at Safari Arms in Lilydale also has a good reputation.

I’m in ACT/NSW , I’m happy to send anywhere in Australia to get the job done….with no headaches …
@AGNK There is only one gunsmith in NSW that I would trust with metal,wood, rifle, shotgun and even pistol.
That person is Rob Spittles in Rylestone near mudgee.
I have had 3 rifles built by him and can't fault his work. From a simple rebarreling of my Savage to 35 Whelen for use in Namibia to a full custom 1885 Winchester lowall with custom pistolgrip stock in a very high grade walnut.
@K95 has had a few rifles done by him as well that turned out very nice. Like converting a 336 marlin from 30/30 to 307 Winchester.
PM me for more details if you want.
His prices are reasonable as well
Bob

Thanks very much ,I’ll definitely get onto them…..just one more thing if yous don’t mind……is it up to me to supply the parts ie barrel, sites etc
Cheers
@AGNK
With Rob you supply everything as he has been burnt before by people getting stuff and not getting the job done. I think it's a good idea.
Rob has quite a few reamers as well.
MAB/TSE Engeneering in QLD do good molybdenum and stainless barrels, I have 3 of their barrels in both steels and all are easy to clean and produce small groups. Tony and veronica are good to deal with and reasonably priced.
Alan Swan by all accounts produces good barrels as well
Robert Tobler in Robinson nsw is also good but very expensive.
Bob

Yep Allan Swan for what you're looking to do. (y)
@blacks
Swanky is good but I think Rob may just edge him 8n my opinion.
Rob also does all the work for sporting shooters staff. If Millas gun shop in Melbourne has a shotgun they can't fix they send it to Rob. He also works on H&H rifles.
Yes he is good.
Bob

Have no probs with paying up front for parts….
main concern is finding a smith that has worked on cz/Brno Mauser type receivers and also to replace that awkward safety with 2/3 position safety
Cheers

It’s a 375 well used…. So decided to rebarral to 404j….haven’t got a clue of the cost…. But reading through this forum doesn’t seem to expensive for this work in the US , hopefully it’s comparable here, doesn’t seem anyone in OZ rebores barrels?
Not looking to build a wall flower…keeping the same stock and rear sight if possible

Have no probs with paying up front for parts….
main concern is finding a smith that has worked on cz/Brno Mauser type receivers and also to replace that awkward safety with 2/3 position safety
Cheers
@AGNK
PM me mate and I will give you Rob's number and you can discuss your needs with him. He is very approachable. He will be building a replacement hammer for my name Mk1V Webley revolver as well.
No one else would do the job.
Bob

It’s a 375 well used…. So decided to rebarral to 404j….haven’t got a clue of the cost…. But reading through this forum doesn’t seem to expensive for this work in the US , hopefully it’s comparable here, doesn’t seem anyone in OZ rebores barrels?
Not looking to build a wall flower…keeping the same stock and rear sight if possible
@AGNK
Kieth Bridgeman from sprinter arms is the only one I know of that used to rebore barrels but no longer does it.
MAB/TSE will do a barrel in the profile you want. Just send them your old barrel and they will copy it for you and send both back. If you want they will chamber it for you at the same time for a little extra. Veronica can give you a price.
Rob can then fit it using a factory cartridge for headspacing.
Depending on the barrel you are looking at bit over $1,000 just to have sll that done sans sights. I don't think it would be much to have the sights fitted.
Bob

Sadly, barrels, fitting, chambering profiling etc are all very expensive in this country. Add in the extra for the safety changes you want, then add in a bit to ensure reliability and I think Bob's estimate will be on the conservative side. I would suggest getting in contact with the main smiths mentioned, and then you'll be in a possition to decide if this is worth it for you. Unfortunately, there aren't too many 'off the shelf' alternatives available.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois