Assembling an Africa Battery

SWS1

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I’d like to start to assemble an Africa/worldwide game battery of guns.
I’ve got a bolt action 375 H&H being built at the moment by an English maker. I figured that was a good one to start with as an all rounder and I can give it a quick test run on a water buff next September.
I’m thinking I can get sequentially numbered rifles and have something to leave the children. Well the right handed one anyway.
I’m thinking that four would be about right.
275, 300handh, 375 and 416 would cover all the bases but grateful for any other suggestions

Thanks.
yes had an r93 and then an r8 for many years. Shot about 2000 head of game with them when I lived in Europe. However they just don’t have that sole that I like in a rifle.
I can work out the funding for each rifle and would get them over a four year period. I’m more interested in which calibres to get.
I’d like to cover all the basis from say duiker to buffalo over 4 rifles. I’d like one to be capable of longer range for say kudu size animals as that would cover me well for reds and sambar at home in nz. That’s what I thought the 300handh would be good for

G'day and welcome.

Hey just wondering if you posted in the introductions thread?

Other than that, need a lot more info, budget and game to be hunted would be a good start.

I would think the Classic Cartridges mentioned would cover the bases of the African battery.

Maybe the OP could add a double rifle in a stopping calibre but I thought he had a good plan. Not sure why I need to know much more to call it an African battery.

@SWS1 plenty of Blaser fans here if you want to buy a take down it seems they are quite versatile

275, 300handh, 375 and 416 would cover all the bases but grateful for any other suggestions
I think that you have covered it all. And moderators can close this thread.

Unless, of course, you may want to reconsider with some break action, double rifles, rimmed, large calibers to add (at least at later point)

The Battery I have been using till 1989:
-.375 Holland & Holland Magnum (whatever rifle my white hunter supplies)
-.30-06 Springfield (whatever rifle my white hunter supplies)
-12 Gauge (2 3/4") Sikender single barrel

The Battery I've been using since 1989:
-.375 Holland & Holland Magnum (whatever rifle my white hunter supplies)
-7x57mm Mauser Churchill Gun Makers Model Deluxe
-12 Gauge 3" Magnum Beretta Model 626E

The Battery I dream of one day:
-.600 Nitro Express Butch Searcy & Co. boxlock ejector double rifle
-7x57mm Mauser Churchill Gun Makers Model Deluxe
-12 Gauge 3" Magnum Beretta Model 626E

The Battery I recommend for you:
-.505 Gibbs
-.375 Holland & Holland Magnum
-.300 Holland & Holland Magnum
-.275 Rigby

Which gun maker are you using for your custom .375 Holland & Holland Magnum build ?

The problem with such questions is that there will be as many suggestions as there are answers. You can shoot the same game species more or less optimal worldwide with very different cartridges. It is often a question of ability, experience and also enthusiasm for a rifle or a cartridge.

To stay with Africa, especially when it comes to hunting DG, very different weapons and cartridges can be used between caliber 375 H&H Magnum and caliber 600 Nitro Express. It all depends on so many factors that you should also have some information about the person asking the question, in this case @SWS1.

Agree with Mark. Personally, I would go with the 300H&H and then the 416 over the 375.
That would just about cover your, barring Tiny 10.

Don't forget the most popular of all calibers, a "quality" .22, but you probably would not end up taking it to Africa.

My African 3 rifle battery ( and neither I nor my rifles have been there yet :rolleyes: ) consists of a Rigby SSB in .416 Rigby, a Rigby DSB in 375 H&H with a Kahles 1 to 4 and a Rigby HS in 30/06 with a S&B 4x .
My North American 3 rifle battery consists of a Blaser R8 professional with 9.3x62, 30/06 and 308 barrels. All fitted with Zeiss 1.5 to 6 scopes and Aimpoint H1 or H2 .
My shotgun is a Blaser F16.

DG
500 Jeff
404 Jeff
375 H&H
12ga/9.3×74R or my 12ga/12ga 24" poormans double for leopard backup.

PG
375 H&H
30-06 or 7x57mm

No African battery would be complete without a 22lr and a 12ga shotgun

You can exclude the 500 Jeff and the two for leopard backup as they are specialized options.
Then it would be difficult to beat:
404 Jeff
375 H&H
30-06 or 7x57mm

300 H&H is a grand old cartridge but ammo I am afraid is a problem....

I’ve got a bolt action 375 H&H being built at the moment by an English maker. I figured that was a good one to start with as an all rounder and I can give it a quick test run on a water buff next September.
I’m thinking I can get sequentially numbered rifles and have something to leave the children. Well the right handed one anyway.

Looks good... :D Beers:

I would start withthe .375 as you have and congratulations on getting a fine English rifle. I would add a .300 and then a double rifle in .450/.400. This is your African battery.
Do not forget the versatility of the .375. You mention hunting the duiker and that is best done with the .375 with solids.
Regards,
Philip

I was surprised to find how popular the .270 was for plains game....versatile, flat shooting and ammo was available...If I had the luxury of building up a similarly themed gun collection...I would talk with outfitters in the potential areas I am interested in inquiring about ammo availability for back up on your own supply. I understand nowadays it is a major concern in many areas.

Get a double rifle in 470 NE or 450-400!!!

G'day and welcome.

Hey just wondering if you posted in the introductions thread?

I would think the Classic Cartridges mentioned would cover the bases of the African battery.

Maybe the OP could add a double rifle in a stopping calibre but I thought he had a good plan. Not sure why I need to know much more to call it an African battery.

@SWS1 plenty of Blaser fans here if you want to buy a take down it seems they are quite versatile
My mind of thinking, some people don't mind spending 20k on a rifle other can't or will not.

He also said world, if you start hunting sheep or wet areas of the world. Your rifle choice along with the cartridge are going to change. At least it would for myself.

I like your plan and I have a sneaky suspicion that these rifles are being made for you at John Rigby & Co. in London. A set of 275 Rigby, 300H&H, 375H&H and 416 Rigby, sequentially numbered, is truly a legacy your family will treasure. It also gives you choices for taking two of the four with you to Africa, depending on what you will hunt.
I'm a Rigby fan and have used my 416 on two safaris and will be taking it to Australia in August for water buffalo.

I like the choices you have made , all great classic calibers , it is the type of 4 gun battery I would also choose . The only change I think you need to consider is swapping the 416 Rigby for a 450 Rigby as suggested already , just to have to option of shooting a heavier bullet , but there is nothing wrong with the 416 Rigby either . Good luck with the important decisions that need to be made .

My opinion with a moderate budget

With a double:
.470 NE or .500 NE (Heym, Merkel, or Krieghoff) I like my K-Gun, but my understanding is that Heym's are nicer
.375 H&H Stainless Sako Kodiak (you can hunt the world with this gun alone)
.300 Win or Weatherby Mag (Stainless with open sights, pick a brand)
.22-250 (Sako Varmint Laminant Stainless) I have never taken a vermint gun to Africa, and I am not sure about ammo availability for this caliber.

Bolt guns only:
.416 Rigby or .450 Rigby (Sako Brown Bear) - this is your stopper
.375 H&H - Sako Kodiak
.300 Win or Weatherby or maybe 8x68S
.22-250

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JacquieLon

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.