Anyone travel through Amsterdam with firearms from the States?

JamieD

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
life member NAHC NRA
Hunted
US, RSA, ZIM
We are considering traveling through Amsterdam from the States with our destination being Tanzania. I have read some bad stories about going through Am with guns but wondering if those reports are the exception. Doing this would save us a day of travel both ways and a lot of $ for our tickets. We are working with a travel agent but they don't have much experience traveling with firearms and therefore don't always know the right questions to ask. We are hoping you kind folks would be willing to offer advice or experience. We've read the basic Tanzania info on here and the mention of traveling through Am but wanted to hear from those who have been there, done that.

It seems we need the 2 copies of the Consent Form and we will also list our ammo on that just to be on the safe side. Are there any other forms? Is there a limit as to number of rifles that can be taken into the country (Amsterdam)?

If anyone reading this has also been to Tanzania, is it necessary to get a Visa beforehand or is it sufficient to get one when we land there? I'd really rather not have to mail my passport in to get this done beforehand.

TIA!

Jamie my buddies went through Amsterdam and had no issues with both carrying two rifles each. Getting the permits was a little delayed and last minute, but once they had them no issues.
Use FAX and follow up.
More issues about broad heads than rifles.

No TZ info.

Have a good trip.

DON"T DO IT! I had them pull me off a plane just before take off. I had to have a chat on with the police while they dumped my luggage out on the tarmac. Then they told me the guns were ok, but the same person is not allowed to "EVER" have guns & ammo while passing though Amsterdam! This was not very cool to me, since I had all the paper work, customs forms and the like togeather, but I was being very polite (despite them) so I Asked what needed to be done, and what I need to do. they said either I could wait for a judge to decide on the matter or I could give them the ammo, and get the hell out of their country, well you can figure which option I picked. So then SEVEN months later they sent me a ticket and told me to pay my fine! Needless to say I would rather see a Panzer Divison rolling across the Amsterdam airport than give them any buisness! But that was in 2008 and perhaps they have decided to follow their own laws, and International Treaty by now. Just my experince so just be careful.

DON"T DO IT! I had them pull me off a plane just before take off. I had to have a chat on with the police while they dumped my luggage out on the tarmac. Then they told me the guns were ok, but the same person is not allowed to "EVER" have guns & ammo while passing though Amsterdam! This was not very cool to me, since I had all the paper work, customs forms and the like togeather, but I was being very polite (despite them) so I Asked what needed to be done, and what I need to do. they said either I could wait for a judge to decide on the matter or I could give them the ammo, and get the hell out of their country, well you can figure which option I picked. So then SEVEN months later they sent me a ticket and told me to pay my fine! Needless to say I would rather see a Panzer Divison rolling across the Amsterdam airport than give them any buisness! But that was in 2008 and perhaps they have decided to follow their own laws, and International Treaty by now. Just my experince so just be careful.

So, what was the ticket for?

I went through in November 2010.

Paperwork was all filled out through Gracy travel. Departing out of Seattle was a hick-up with the airline wanting an original copy of the permit. I had to explain that the permit was sent by computer to me and i printed it off for my use. (make extra copies of your permit.) I had my bags checked all the way through to Tanzania. no issues going.

On the return flight Tanzania airport kept a copy of my permit (make sure you know where your luggage tags are at all times). Luggage and rifle were processed all the way to Seattle. I was questioned in Amsterdam about my rifle and they wanted to review the permit...so far so good, now they wanted to see the baggage tags and which one was for my rifle... I forgot where the Tanzania agent had stapled them...and needed to produce them now...Good thing, i located them as they were hidden in my flight documentation, and i had put on the tags which one was the rifle and the second for my bag.

It is to late now for you to use a seasoned travel agent that specializes in international travel for sportsmen. In the future that is what you need to do...

Jamie

I would have your Visa prior to arrival.

It speed up your processing.

The line was long as only 1 person was processing Visa when i landed there. over 1/3 of the plane was in line to get a Visa...A second person did arrive to assist however they were new and some times language is an issue. I was able to get my Visa in under 4 weeks from the time sent until received.

Make sure you have both your Amsterdam rifle and ammo permits...

Rifles is limited to 3 that is what you are allowed into Tanzania. You are not staying in the Netherlands are you?

Given some of the horror stories about going thru Amsterdam I would opt for some other route. I did it way back in 1985 and it was painless then, not so much now I gather.

Given some of the horror stories about going thru Amsterdam I would opt for some other route. I did it way back in 1985 and it was painless then, not so much now I gather.

+1, never went that route, and probably not a big deal without firearm, but, if traveling with a gun I would avoid it too. What I have read it's just another form to fill out, but there is some hassle involved. I caught a flight from Atlanta to Joberg for $150 more than going through Dakar, Well worth the $150. Just my opinion though.

+1, never went that route, and probably not a big deal without firearm, but, if traveling with a gun I would avoid it too. What I have read it's just another form to fill out, but there is some hassle involved. I caught a flight from Atlanta to Joberg for $150 more than going through Dakar, Well worth the $150. Just my opinion though.

+3 I was advised by many to fly direct from the US or to go through France or Germany. Amsterdam and the UK were strongly warned against because of tight gun laws that can cost you $$$ or possibly your guns from even something as simple as a clerical error. Not worth it IMO.

Flying straight to Joberg from Atlanta or Washington D.C. and skipping Dakar is easily worth $150.

+3 I was advised by many to fly direct from the US or to go through France or Germany. Amsterdam and the UK were strongly warned against because of tight gun laws that can cost you $$$ or possibly your guns from even something as simple as a clerical error. Not worth it IMO.

i have flown to tanzania from heathrow via amsterdam with KLM, but this must have been prior to needing any paperwork so it was no problem. the reason we flew that route is that we wanted to arrive in arusha at kilimanjaro airport, and BA only fly to Dar. the other trips to tanzania were with BA direct to Dar. if you fly through the UK via heathrow and are in transit, and use the same airline or a codeshare partner airline your bags including firearms cases will be transferred as normal. you dont need any paperwork as you dont have anything to do with your firearms. the security company collects your firearms from the arriving plane and they deliver them to the departing aircraft. with BA you only have to let them know you are travelling with sporting weapons and the calibres in advance. but as in all things check their website. as has been said get your visa before going unless you are happy to stand in a queue learning about african time.:sleeping::)
P.S. as i have stated before the only thing with BA out of heathrow is that they have a phobia of any .338 calibres.

Traveling through Amsterdam would save us $1000 per ticket- so enough to take the option seriously. It would be through KLM all the way through to JRO so @spike.t this might work for us since it would be the same airline. I wonder if some of the people who had problems followed the system in total- for instance: was the ammo listed on the forms, no knives taken ;) and so forth. I guess what we are wondering is if a person crosses all of their t's and dots their i's if we would still expect to have issues. Hoping to hear from some who have done this recently and what their experience was. We appreciate all your input. Hopefully this will help others decide in the future as they plan their trips too.

Minneapolis to Amsterdam to JRO

have you looked on the klm website, and type in their search engine travelling with firearms through amsterdam? it gives all the info and the fact you can travel with both guns and ammunition, so i would be interested if stevedscross could let us know what caused the problems that he had, so the rest can avoid the same situation.

anyone know the logic behind the total ban on foldingknifes and broadheads in your luggage travelling trough Amsterdam? One thing is if your gonna stay in the country, but when you travels trough???

i have flown to tanzania from heathrow via amsterdam with KLM, but this must have been prior to needing any paperwork so it was no problem. the reason we flew that route is that we wanted to arrive in arusha at kilimanjaro airport, and BA only fly to Dar. the other trips to tanzania were with BA direct to Dar. if you fly through the UK via heathrow and are in transit, and use the same airline or a codeshare partner airline your bags including firearms cases will be transferred as normal. you dont need any paperwork as you dont have anything to do with your firearms. the security company collects your firearms from the arriving plane and they deliver them to the departing aircraft. with BA you only have to let them know you are travelling with sporting weapons and the calibres in advance. but as in all things check their website. as has been said get your visa before going unless you are happy to stand in a queue learning about african time.:sleeping::)
P.S. as i have stated before the only thing with BA out of heathrow is that they have a phobia of any .338 calibres.

I was told that if you ended up having to switch airports in London or claim your baggage due to delays etc. It would cost at least $600 for a bonded broker to handle your weapons for you and you would be at the mercy of his schedule.

I was told that if you ended up having to switch airports in London or claim your baggage due to delays etc. It would cost at least $600 for a bonded broker to handle your weapons for you and you would be at the mercy of his schedule.

i was talking about transiting through heathrow on same or codeshare airlines. the bonded brokers are pretty good i have to use them from gatwick to heathrow, as we dont have flights from jersey to heathrow. i think if you had to reclaim your bags with firearms in any country not just the uk while in transit , and not expecting to need local paperwork you would have problems. as you would be placed on another flight i think the airport security company would keep the firearms stored in their lock up. the firearms transport people i use are Bunduki or www.pdk.uk.com .

I guess what we are wondering is if a person crosses all of their t's and dots their i's if we would still expect to have issues. Hoping to hear from some who have done this recently and what their experience was.

Jamie,

It has been three and a half years since traveling through Amsterdam but we did it without a hitch. The year was 2008 and it was our first safari. Paperwork was proper, all firearm information was on the airline tickets, used Gracy Travel.

I found the airport personnel quite pleasant. KLM was fine to deal with. Somewhat unrelated but when we arrived in Houston on our return trip a KLM rep walked us through customs and clearing our rifles all the way to the Continental connection.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,