Anyone ever had trophies lost during the import process?

My latest shipment is en-route now. I went waterborne this time as air freight is out of sight.

I've had a crate "apparently" disappear for a while. Few days.
Multiple stop overs create situations with a lot of shuffling of containers and delays.

I hope they forward your crate sooner than later.

I wonder if i could attach an Apple Air Tag to my horns before i drop them off for dip and pack?
Hopefully it’s something that the taxidermies in Africa might offer in the future. All dip and pack has to be sent by air. Maybe activate the tracking device just prior to sealing the crate and sending on its way. Certainly the technology exists; however, if so, I am unfamiliar.

Mine was actually lost in Turkish airlines Atlanta warehouse for months after clearing the import hold.

Hey everyone, I just recently finished my first Safari in Namibia back in August of 2021 and had the best hunt, time and experience of my life.

I took several good animals. I was shipping them stateside for all my taxidermy work to be completed. However I was notified that my crate was to be picked up on the 10th of May and only the paperwork was found in IDA. No crate has been located since. It was shipped with Ethiopian Air.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am hoping that my crate will be found but starting to get nervous at this point. Just wanting to know if I should start preparing for the worst case outcome.
Who did your dip and pack? I'm heading to Namibia shortly

Who did your dip and pack? I'm heading to Namibia shortly

Hey sir, I am sorry. Not sure why I didn’t see your post till now.

I had my dip and pack done with trophaendienste in Windhoek. This problem had nothing to do with them. The crate arrived in the states and appears to have went missing here State Side.

As it stands right now my trophies have not been located. I am bummed for sure

Nothing lost, but did have a forklift hole through the side of the crating and a hole in the buff skull. Insurance paid squat, no one took responsibility.

What amazes me is you can literally order the smallest, cheapest, most insignificant item from almost anywhere and anyone online and have tracking details to your door yet huge crates containing thousands of dollars of trophies don’t.
Also, the common thread is they always seem lost on the Stateside end.

What amazes me is you can literally order the smallest, cheapest, most insignificant item from almost anywhere and anyone online and have tracking details to your door yet huge crates containing thousands of dollars of trophies don’t.
Also, the common thread is they always seem lost on the Stateside end.

I wonder why they always seem lost Stateside?

I wonder why they always seem lost Stateside?

Massive warehouses, customs holds, etc.. I am sure your trophies are in the warehouse, as mine were, they have just been misplaced. Make some noise and threaten legal action. Insist on full compensation for the cost of the hunt, travel, taxidermy, shipping, etc.. someone just needs to get of their arse and do a proper search.

My crate was damaged in transit (not sure where), and when I ask about the insurance the shipper looked the other way, and never produced an insurance certificate. I was ripped off by the taxidermist and shipping company. I managed to fix my damaged kudu, but if you look closely, you see the damage. :mad::mad: I hope they find your crate, and don't give up. I'd do what @WAB suggested. Good luck!

My crate was damaged in transit (not sure where), and when I ask about the insurance the shipper looked the other way, and never produced an insurance certificate. I was ripped off by the taxidermist and shipping company. I managed to fix my damaged kudu, but if you look closely, you see the damage. :mad::mad: I hope they find your crate, and don't give up. I'd do what @WAB suggested. Good luck!
I see a ton of damaged mounts from Africa. Problem is all the shippers pass the buck . No body will say who did it. That way no one pays.
I know a gal that's dip pack made it to the truck company here in Idaho. That night at the truck hub someone broke in, cracked the crate open stole her waterbuck horns impala and blesbok. Truck company would only pay average price for replacement. $ 250.00. So I told them that the prices she paid for the animals in Africa were cut and dried. They tried to claim she got her hunt and that animals aren't guaranteed. We Informed them that day fees are the price of the hunt and when an animal is taken the animal is paid for separately. Therefore like buying a cow. It is what it is. They ended up paying the price she paid in Africa for each animal minus the price of the capes as they weren't stolen.
This is just one reason I wont do a package hunt in Africa also.

It is amazing how many crates get damaged in transit, when I went to pick up my crate in Atlanta last year I looked around the customs brokers warehouse and a good 50% had some sort of damage. Luckily mine was not one of them. Hopefully my luck will hold and my shipment this summer will arrive safe and sound.

Reading this is getting me worried… the Heym should (finally!) be transported tomorrow to Belgium, where it will remain in customs a few days… I truly hope nothing will be missing and nothing will get damaged!

I’ve often wondered if the insurance was real or could be claimed. I had several trophies left out of a shipment (the outfitter temporarily misplaced permits and the shipping agent didn’t pursue it), but the shipping agent still listed all trophies on the invoice and I forgot to decline the insurance. I’m still unhappy about situation, but I’ve moved on. The shipper went silent on me after initial communication and the outfitter finally gave me an explanation and confirmed the trophies were located, but I doubt I’ll see them again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LeeWedel71

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois