Anyone ever had trophies lost during the import process?

Hookboy88

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hey everyone, I just recently finished my first Safari in Namibia back in August of 2021 and had the best hunt, time and experience of my life.

I took several good animals. I was shipping them stateside for all my taxidermy work to be completed. However I was notified that my crate was to be picked up on the 10th of May and only the paperwork was found in IDA. No crate has been located since. It was shipped with Ethiopian Air.

Has anyone else experienced this? I am hoping that my crate will be found but starting to get nervous at this point. Just wanting to know if I should start preparing for the worst case outcome.

That is horrible. Who did you use for your agent?

+1 for being horrible.

My first safari crate was damaged during shipping along with several animals anda big hole gouged in one of my kudus by a forklift operator and a kudu back skin was missing.

James owner of KUBUSI SAFARIS, folks at Coppersmith Imports and the Rex family of Rex Shipping we're a tremendous help getting the shipping insurance to cover the damages.

Unfortunately I have yet to find a local taxidermist to repair the kudu with the big hole in it.

Hopefully your crate is quickly found state side and all is good.

+1 for being horrible.

My first safari crate was damaged during shipping along with several animals anda big hole gouged in one of my kudus by a forklift operator and a kudu back skin was missing.

James owner of KUBUSI SAFARIS, folks at Coppersmith Imports and the Rex family of Rex Shipping we're a tremendous help getting the shipping insurance to cover the damages.

Unfortunately I have yet to find a local taxidermist to repair the kudu with the big hole in it.

Hopefully your crate is quickly found state side and all is good.

Man I hate to hear that! A lot of good memories go into those trophies. And yes I am hoping to receive good news. Just a little worried now.

I hope it is located. I’ve never had a shipment lost but have had one significantly damaged and several trophies left out of the crate. I’ll be interested to hear how this resolves.

that really stinks! Sorry! I hope they can sort everything out!

I hunted in Sonora Mexico in January of 2016. I was told there were import issues due to ticks, fleas and such... Even after contacting the outfitter, my mule deer location is still unknown.... I've given up hope of ever seeing it or getting my taxidermy down payment refunded.

Ouch!!! Badjer that too is awful!!!

I hunted in Sonora Mexico in January of 2016. I was told there were import issues due to ticks, fleas and such... Even after contacting the outfitter, my mule deer location is still unknown.... I've given up hope of ever seeing it or getting my taxidermy down payment refunded.

Man that sounds horrible

They need to get into the warehouse and do a detailed search. This exact thing happened to me in Atlanta with Turkish airways. Thankfully I was using Coppersmith. Michael Coppersmith raised hell and eventually the shipment was located. It took about six months. I was threatening to sue for the full costs of safari and taxidermy to replace the shipment. That seemed to get their attention.

Trophy Shippers should be able to find the crate and sort everything out, that is what they are paid to do. Being a sponsor on this site I am sure they will locate your shipment.

I am hoping for a good outcome. I do believe Trophy Shippers will do all they can do!

They need to get into the warehouse and do a detailed search. This exact thing happened to me in Atlanta with Turkish airways. Thankfully I was using Coppersmith. Michael Coppersmith raised hell and eventually the shipment was located. It took about six months. I was threatening to sue for the full costs of safari and taxidermy to replace the shipment. That seemed to get their attention.

Your shipment set in a warehouse in ATL for 6 months? Glad you got yours! Still have my fingers crossed!

Reactions: WAB
Your shipment set in a warehouse in ATL for 6 months? Glad you got yours! Still have my fingers crossed!

Yes, it appeared hopeless for a while. Find out if yours has cleared US inspection. That narrows it down a bit. Then push trophy shippers to get into the warehouse and conduct their own search. Technically they are not allowed, but with enough pressure things can happen. Have an initial conversation with a lawyer. Make it clear that you will be pursuing full recovery of travel, safari and taxidermy expense.

Losing trophies unfortunately does happen.

Who often hunts abroad may be expect that something like this will happen at some point. I am missing among others things two buffalo trophies.

It's certainly very unpleasant when something like this happens after the first hunt abroad.

My trophies are still floating around somewhere. Trophy Shippers and African shipping Services are attempting to locate. Fingers still crossed.

They are working hard to recover them so that makes me feel good.

Hopefully they were fully insured including safari cost.

My dip and pack crate is scheduled to depart Harare early next week. I am finalizing USA based shipping insurance to cover any loss or damages. It would be awfully convenient; however, if some sort of AirTag (or other tracking device) could be used to track and/or prevent lost shipments. For those more tech savvy than me, might this be a possibility for future shipments?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaBlohm

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!