Any Other Interests???

I used to really like Tuborg when you could still get it in the US. That was many many moons ago.

Perhaps not the right place, my apologies? However does anyone take up other interests, collections, the arts, hobbies etc,...

Photos speak volumes. 20 yrs practicing music, etc. .. Used to collect Chainsaws. Sold them all, except for one. Helped finance a double.View attachment 396472View attachment 396473
I am a chainsaw man also. That’s a nice pile of saws. The husky’s have the Pro Safety dogs too!
I have a 372 (my favorite) and a recently acquired 046 Magnum. Unfortunately I can’t justify buying all of them I want to play with. ☹️

@CJW love the picture of the double Mustang and the Sandy, they are all beautiful.

Thank you very much for the compliment. I had the XP-82 printed out on gloss metal along with a few others. I had to zoom in on it because my lenses aren't up to snuff for distance shooting so it has a bit of a fuzzy soft focus look to it but looks great on the bleached out clouded background. Looks much better printed.

The restoration story behind that particular plane is very cool.

The skyraider is an ugly brute, in a good way, but what a cool sound at taxi speed. Nothing like that big radial loping along.

Regards

Certified golf addict !!
I hear ya ! I just wish it was easy to learn. I've been learning for about 25yrs and still dont play very well. Spent money on several pro's help, bought the measured pings and everything you could waste money on. The first time I played I was like 23 and shot something like 120 something. 25yrs later and alot of money, I still only shoot mid 90's. Best game ever was 84 on a course I have played alot.
People talk smack about golf. But they dont understand how hard it actually is !

Hobbies outside of hunting?

- I like to go sailing whenever I can, which is usually about 10 days each year. A family member has a sail boat in the Mediterranean that we can use (he remains the skipper) to travel around Ibiza and Formentera. The sun, the sea, the wind in the face, the deck under a nice angle, and apero starting from 10:00. It's paradise on earth, and luckily one my fiancee loves to participate in :)

- I'm also member of a sport shooting club, so on Sunday mornings I like to slip out for a box of ammo at the range, with pistol/revolver/rifle.

- Reading history, auto-biography's or philosophical pieces. Also following seminars on youtube, Jordan Peterson is a favourite, but there are some others too.

- Cooking, especially barbecues for friends, try to organize a few of those each summer, for colleagues/friends/family. I'm okay at it, nothing too fancy, just using good products.

- As others brought up beer as a hobby, well... I'm Belgian, so it is not really a hobby, but rather part of life. If any of you ever come through Belgium, hit me up for a few beers, you'll finally understand what truly good beer tastes like :D But in all seriousness, if I can get it, I'll invite you for a West-Vleteren 12. (look it up :p )

- Luckily, my job is also quite captivating (to me), as an originator on the trading floor of a global utility. Just not very active, but lot's of sitting behind my desk. :(

- I try to do a course of study each year in evening school, especially on things nothing to do with my day job. So this year I'm learning how to weld. Stick/Mig/Tig. It's fun. I'm not too good at it (especially not the Tig) but it's something different. Still need to find something for next year. Maybe piloting? The goal is not to be making my job out of this, just so I have a bit more knowledge and skill with it than the average person. Did a radio license in the past and my boating license (Yachtman) as well.

- Oh, and since some one else mentioned it, doing the keto diet for the moment to loose some extra kg's

V.
Used to fly to Brussels a lot. Love to head down to the Delerium and keep racking up new beers. Always have to have the Tremens when I'm there! And the chocolate. And the waffles. And the Mussels. Hell, I just love Belgium. Even my dogs are Belgians!
IMGP0743.JPG

Used to fly to Brussels a lot. Love to head down to the Delerium and keep racking up new beers. Always have to have the Tremens when I'm there! And the chocolate. And the waffles. And the Mussels. Hell, I just love Belgium. Even my dogs are Belgians!View attachment 397042

Ah yes, the Delerium Tremens, 3 x half liter and you are good to go to bed :) especially when you mix an absinthe shot in from just across the ‘street’ ;)

Btw, also the croquettes de crevettes, the french fries (nothing to do with France, but with the verb ‘to french’ meaning to cut in thin slices) and the beef stew on the basis of beer...

Btw, why did you go for the long haired Malinois? Most people jump to the short hair, so we don’t get to see the long hair a lot.

What brought you to Brussels if I may ask?

My choices

Rattler for cider
Korev for lager
Doom bar for beer

Oh - and for interests

I've surfed for the last 30 years - recently given up as I'm now just too slow and the line up is too busy and competitive - also can't stand the cold any more

Last edited:
Ah yes, the Delerium Tremens, 3 x half liter and you are good to go to bed :) especially when you mix an absinthe shot in from just across the ‘street’ ;)

Btw, also the croquettes de crevettes, the french fries (nothing to do with France, but with the verb ‘to french’ meaning to cut in thin slices) and the beef stew on the basis of beer...

Btw, why did you go for the long haired Malinois? Most people jump to the short hair, so we don’t get to see the long hair a lot.

What brought you to Brussels if I may ask?
I was based in the western part of Germany for a year with the Air Force and spent a lot of time visiting as much of Europe as I could. Brussels was 2 hours away and a nice drive. After I retired from the Air Force in 2013 my airline job has taken me there frequently for 1 and 2 day layovers. Haven't been there in 2 years since the company switched equipment that flies there. I actually haven't flown since last July since I mostly fly international trips and there is not a lot f international flying right now.

I was not aware of the absinthe bar. I'll have to hunt that one down next time I'm there. And yes the french fries are good too!

I have a friend who breeds the Belgian sheepdogs and we have 2 currently with a new puppy on the way today to join our 13 year old boy and 4 year old girl. In the US we actually split the dog into 4 breeds. The short haired Malinois everyone is familiar with as a police/military working dog. The long haired Tervuren like I have. Named after a nice town east of Brussels. The long haired all black Groenendal. And the curly coated Lakenois. We always toy with getting another breed but it's hard to turn down a fluffy Belgian puppy! Our breeder only has litters every few years so there can be a long wait to get them.

I was based in the western part of Germany for a year with the Air Force and spent a lot of time visiting as much of Europe as I could. Brussels was 2 hours away and a nice drive. After I retired from the Air Force in 2013 my airline job has taken me there frequently for 1 and 2 day layovers. Haven't been there in 2 years since the company switched equipment that flies there. I actually haven't flown since last July since I mostly fly international trips and there is not a lot f international flying right now.

I was not aware of the absinthe bar. I'll have to hunt that one down next time I'm there. And yes the french fries are good too!

I have a friend who breeds the Belgian sheepdogs and we have 2 currently with a new puppy on the way today to join our 13 year old boy and 4 year old girl. In the US we actually split the dog into 4 breeds. The short haired Malinois everyone is familiar with as a police/military working dog. The long haired Tervuren like I have. Named after a nice town east of Brussels. The long haired all black Groenendal. And the curly coated Lakenois. We always toy with getting another breed but it's hard to turn down a fluffy Belgian puppy! Our breeder only has litters every few years so there can be a long wait to get them.
Back when I was a student, they served the absinthe up in a pipe made of glass. The absinthe being in the head of the pipe. They then light the absinthe, and you get to suck it out through the stem of the glass pipe :D Drunk:

That’s a nice pile of saws. Unfortunately I can’t justify buying all of them I want to play with. ☹️

Same with me and DG rifles....

:cool:

HWL

Drink Beer and watch sports.
View attachment 397184
My favorite baseball stadium, and my favorite American League baseball team! Raised my boys in a couple of towns in Missouri about an hour to hour and a half out of Kansas City. My wife and I loved going to Royals games, especially mid week games when we could buy people's season ticket seats cheap online. There was one weeknight - I think maybe Wednesdays?? - that the Boulevard beer stand had beer and hot dogs half price until the National Anthem. In the days of two teens and a pre-teen in the house, those half price beer & dogs and cheap tickets were a lifesaver!!
"Let's go Royals"

I used to really like Tuborg when you could still get it in the US. That was many many moons ago.

Jeez....remember back in 1989 in the selous after a supply run only beer they found in dar to bring to camp was tuborg...after lion was shot traditional to give all camp staff a beer...they asked if could give tuborg back and wait till some kilimanjaro beer was available.....I had to agree nobody there wanted to drink it...smelled and tasted like liquid manure.....

Other life pursuits:
1. I build canoe and kayak paddles.
2. Been a severe weather spotter for over 20 years.
3. My wife and I enjoy cooking together, especially when beef that we raise is on the menu.
4. I've been a living history reenactor since I was 15.
5. I volunteer with Pheasants Forever, and serve as our Chapter President. In 2019, we received the National Habitat Chapter of the Year.
6. Waterfowl and upland bird hunting are my first hunting passions.
7. My Spinoni.
20200607_092849.jpeg
IMG951079(1).jpeg
20191028_203758.jpeg
IMG954060.jpeg
IMG952259.jpeg
IMG_2521.jpeg
20141029_220104.jpeg
20171002_185510_011.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Jeez....remember back in 1989 in the selous after a supply run only beer they found in dar to bring to camp was tuborg...after lion was shot traditional to give all camp staff a beer...they asked if could give tuborg back and wait till some kilimanjaro beer was available.....I had to agree nobody there wanted to drink it...smelled and tasted like liquid manure.....
Must have changed since '60s when I had it. Oh, well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois