Any Other Interests???

Thought this thread should be kept up. It's interesting to me to see what others do for fun. This mesquite is what the project, currently waiting for the finish to dry, started as (missing slice from the middle). For those of you into saws, this is my 460Magnum with a 32" bar. The heated handle is really nice in the winter. Not so clean as some of yours, lol
carving blocks with 460M sm txt - Copy.jpg

11x17 concept drawing-(carving is not this big). Don't always do this step, but sometimes it helps to determine if the idea will work as a shallow relief. Pencil drawings have a lot of the same requirements to add depth
20220427_153417 c w txt.jpg

Once the carving is done, I'll post a pic or two.

Thought this thread should be kept up. It's interesting to me to see what others do for fun. This mesquite is what the project, currently waiting for the finish to dry, started as (missing slice from the middle). For those of you into saws, this is my 460Magnum with a 32" bar. The heated handle is really nice in the winter. Not so clean as some of yours, lol
View attachment 465267

11x17 concept drawing-(carving is not this big). Don't always do this step, but sometimes it helps to determine if the idea will work as a shallow relief. Pencil drawings have a lot of the same requirements to add depth
View attachment 465269

How’s that 460 handle the 32” bar? I have a 24 on my 046. In my opinion it is perfect for that size bar.

Ok, lets roll .. These Heli Fallers. Air lifted to an island in BC, build a pad by hand, climb, jig and use a Chinook to deliver commodity. Sureal, 9ft, 12ft Cedars, Fir's. Paul Newman, Lee Remick, Henry Fonda. In 1972" "Sometimes a Great Notion" Novel by Ken Kese, Excellent film btw.

sometimesagreatnotion_posterart.jpg
heli.jpg
heli1.jpg
dozer.jpg
girl.jpg
heli2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent a lot of years in Music. My Older Brothers made a career out of it, for better or worse.. Drum Pic from 98. Brother Steven outside of H.R. Giger Museum. 2019, vocals & keyboards were recorded @ Abbey Roads Studio
216.jpg
hr1.jpg
abbey.jpg
, kinda cool...

Last edited:
Lots of hobbies and interests along the way, but they mostly came and went to be replaced by others. I am/was a licensed glider pilot, collected stamps, re-built and ran classic MGA sports cars, made knives, a bit of gun stocking. My interest in old Land Rovers pretty much ties in with my period safari passion, which will be with me forever, as will tiger fishing in Kariba and the Zambezi. I hunt with air rifles too and my buddy and I wrote a book on that sport. Quite a bit of writing actually, short pieces that the family accumulates. Have travelled extensively, country tally now 67, but apart from to the UK and Scotland you can keep it.

Lots of hobbies and interests along the way, but they mostly came and went to be replaced by others. I am/was a licensed glider pilot, collected stamps, re-built and ran classic MGA sports cars, made knives, a bit of gun stocking. My interest in old Land Rovers pretty much ties in with my period safari passion, which will be with me forever, as will tiger fishing in Kariba and the Zambezi. I hunt with air rifles too and my buddy and I wrote a book on that sport. Quite a bit of writing actually, short pieces that the family accumulates. Have travelled extensively, country tally now 67, but apart from to the UK and Scotland you can keep it.
Far from collectible, perhaps strange
stamps.jpg
but love stamps!

Last edited:
How’s that 460 handle the 32” bar? I have a 24 on my 046. In my opinion it is perfect for that size bar.
Easily. Slightly nose heavy, which I prefer. Used to have a 48" bar, but let it go with the 880 a few years ago. The 460 will handle the 48", but all I used it for was ripping in an Alaskan mill. The 32" does fine and is easier to throw around. For most regular use, mine wears a 25" bar.

And apart wine...I would say : everything about outdoor living and countryside.
Fishing is a great passion, as is trekking...I love to have a rich woodshed full of well seasoned oak wood, and I care a lot my big garden with all my pines and first - very simple pleasures.
I collect a lot of things related to outdoor living as old hunting/fishing magazines, gear, books, and so on.
I would add one very important aspect of my life : my books. They are everywhere, and I consider them old friends...indeed they are...
This is just a little sample close to me, while I'm writing
20220507_224127.jpg

Ok, lets roll .. These Heli Fallers. Air lifted to an island in BC, build a pad by hand, climb, jig and use a Chinook to deliver commodity. Sureal, 9ft, 12ft Cedars, Fir's. Paul Newman, Lee Remick, Henry Fonda. In 1972" "Sometimes a Great Notion" Novel by Ken Kese, Excellent film btw. View attachment 465281View attachment 465282View attachment 465283View attachment 465285View attachment 465284View attachment 465286
If you get a chance, watch some of Bjarne Butler's (Bjarne Butler.com) videos. He's in B C, runs a big Husky with a 42'' bar and cuts big cedar-up to 10' diameter. Very interesting methods.

View attachment 465267

View attachment 465269

Here's what the log had in it....

sized for online.jpg

If you get a chance, watch some of Bjarne Butler's (Bjarne Butler.com) videos. He's in B C, runs a big Husky with a 42'' bar and cuts big cedar-up to 10' diameter. Very interesting methods.
Thank You! I've actually came across him through the years .. It really makes me think, each time I buy a piece Lumber. @Newboomer, this guy from 1990, production falling with an 084,

Last edited:
Please pm me your price/shipping for one of those bolt action pens.
Me too!

As far as hobbies.... I tried a few and had plans to try more until I realized I had too many irons in the fire. Down to Hunting, Ice fishing, Motorcycles

"Too many irons in the fire" is exactly it. I gave up my polo playing, mostly due to costs, but also injuries, although I'm still playing ice hockey (though not well), just to stay in shape. I play at woodworking, but wish I were much better at it. The fast German cars mostly went away, but while I'm not a great wrench I know enough to keep the Jaguar and the Land Rove on the road. Running I had to give up a long time ago. But hey, there's still this:
PA025133.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LouveniaBo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!