Another Hello from Utah

Michael S. Jackson

Reaction score
Hi all. I have been prompted to introduce myself so here you are. I am retired but work part time at a local sporting goods store (Sportsman's Warehouse for the past 19 years) in the hunting/guns/archery department. I also teach several classes for the store: Basic metallic handloading, shotshell handloading, introduction to firearms and safety, firearms care, etc. I am certified by the NRA (Patron member) to teach in several areas and was a Utah Hunter Education teacher for almost 30 years (I was formerly the president of the Utah Hunter Education Association). I have owned a business where I built flintlock rifles and pistols.
I have been to Africa twice and am going again this Fall. The first time was for 9 or 10 plains game species in the Free State; the second was for a Southern Buffalo in Mozambique. I didn't get a buffalo (that's why they call it hunting) so I will return to Mozambique, in a different area, this Fall to try again. That is, IF South Africa can hold together with their political problems long enough - my wife is understandably worried about our trip this Fall. I would mention the outfitter I have used but severe backlash from other sites has taught me not to do so.
I have written a couple of books, several pamphlets, and a few magazine stories and am currently writing again. I have presented two lectures, one on Weapons of the Plains Indians and one on Winchester 1886/Model 71 rifles, at the Browning Museum in Ogden, Utah and look forward to doing more.
I look forward to reading your good posts and communicating with you! Thank you for your time - mj

Welcome to AH, I hope your trip is a safe one and you get your buffalo!

Welcome Michael, from your intro. it is plain to see that you fit right in with this "crowd." I too am a Certified Instructor and NRA Patron Member as well as being a Michigan Hunter Education Instructor (31 years.) My oldest son and I are going back to Africa this July, but sad to say Buff are not on our menu. Several of the guys we are going with, have Buff on theirs. What caliber rifle will you be taking to Africa?

Welcome to AH.

I wish you good luck in your Buffalo hunt and look forward to you writing up a report for us right here.

Welcome aboard!

Welcome to AH Michael! Nice intro and looking forward to having you as part of our community.

Welcome MJ ! There is absolutely nothing to worry about your trip this Fall . Hopefully this time the Buff would be in the Salt .

Welcome Michael ! You are in very good Company on this Forum ! Nothing to be concerned about your Fall trip.

There are NO safety concerns and we will keep everybody updated should any concerns arrise ! Good luck on the Buffalo hunt !

Happy Hunting !

Welcome sir! I hope you enjoy poking around the site as much as I have over the years.

Welcome Michael, from your intro. it is plain to see that you fit right in with this "crowd." I too am a Certified Instructor and NRA Patron Member as well as being a Michigan Hunter Education Instructor (31 years.) My oldest son and I are going back to Africa this July, but sad to say Buff are not on our menu. Several of the guys we are going with, have Buff on theirs. What caliber rifle will you be taking to Africa?
Shhtist43 - This time will be my .458 Lott. I have taken a Winchester Model 70 Alaskan in .375 H&H (blue wildebeest, kudu, gemsbok) and a Sako Model 75 Hunter in .338 Win Mag (wart hog, impala, duiker, kudu, springbok, etc.) in the past.

Michael, welcome to AH! Please share a report and pictures of your fall hunt with us. Since you’re a writer, this should be a no-brainer compared to a “really tired” engineer like me.
Here’s wishing you a grand hunt and redemption for not getting your buffalo last trip!
Best!

Welcome to AH, Michael !

Ridgewalker, your term "really tired" engineer is intriguing. In fact it may be one of the most appropriate innovative expressions I've see on AH.

Welcome. Good luck and shoot straight on your upcoming Buff hunt. Please post a report on your return.

Welcome to AH! Enjoy the site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg