Animals destroy airplane tires?

cash_tx

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Found this on Facebook. I gotta admit, this is a problem that I would never have anticipated.

AirplaneTires.png

Grizzlies have chewed up more than a few planes and rafts in Alaska.

We had the whole side ripped out by a Brown Bear/Grizzly when doing a second trip packing out Moose, must of had a dribble of blood left in the plane ??

We had the whole side ripped out by a Brown Bear/Grizzly when doing a second trip packing out Moose, must of had a dribble of blood left in the plane ??

Not necessarily, sometimes they just like to tear planes up.

Who knows why? Canines and bears just love to chew on things. Rodents and rabbits do it because they have to. Why would brown bears chew holes in plastic gas cans full of fuel? Can't taste very good! :)

Not necessarily, sometimes they just like to tear planes up.
Planes bring hunters in. I'm not sure if they make that connection but it keeps the meals on wheels on the ground longer.

I've watched a heap of you tube videos lately of bear hunting where they come in by bush plane. Explains why the pilots don't hang around. The planes seem to dropp off and come in when camp is packed up.

I still think I would like to do it. The cold weather would be my first concern, and those short makeshift strips.

One of the 2 times I flew out of fairbanks with Andy of shadow aviation he got extremely concerned when a little blood leaked into the float from a game bag as we were coming out. He had a whole bleach kit ready for the situation.
If i remember correctly he said he had been attacked once while he was standing on the float in a similar situation.

Grizzlies have chewed up more than a few planes and rafts in Alaska.
I can attest to that! One bear took on a pontoon.

Then there are the mice that chew up your electrical wiring in your vehicle.:V Chainsaw:

A grizzly absolutely shredded our hot tub cover. You never know what will grab their attention.

"Funny" but many times no laughing matter. Really can be head scratcher. Ask anyone who has had a vehicle totaled because of mice chewing up wiring. Locally, I know of couple who had a small property with house they would use seasonally. They stored a Land Rover there. One year they came back to find all the wiring chewed. Had to total the vehicle. My understanding is that certain manufacturers use or have used vehicle wiring with insulation that is especially tasty to rodents. I got called one time to inspect a dead black bear that had opened a weather and security cover on a buried, high voltage connection box at a mountain top electronics relay site. Chewed into some bury cable and zap!

My understanding is that certain manufacturers use or have used vehicle wiring with insulation that is especially tasty to rodents.
My F150 had this happen to a lesser extent, that's when I found out the wiring "cover" that used to be plastic is made from Soy - to be more eco friendly I guess

Then there are the mice that chew up your electrical wiring in your vehicle.:V Chainsaw:
Anybody who has worked in telephony tends to truly hate mice. Nothing worse than opening a ped or any access point that has had mice move in, especially in hot weather; the damage done and the stench. Nasty little POSs
My ex's 6 month old car, parked in the garage, had to go to the shop due to mice having already invaded.

In Canada, porcupines can also be hard on vehicles by chewing on tires, hoses, etc. Some staging areas (parking lots) used for multi-day hikes or hunting trips have rolls of wire and rocks available to temporarily fence passenger vehicles in.

CEF45B43-82DA-46A1-AB97-11ECD42E9FBE.jpeg

In Canada, porcupines can also be hard on vehicles by chewing on tires, hoses, etc. Some staging areas (parking lots) used for multi-day hikes or hunting trips have rolls of wire and rocks available to temporarily fence passenger vehicles in.

View attachment 572182
Porcupines love leather horse harnesses for the salt from sweat. We had a problem with them when horse logging. They would ruin a good harness overnight if it was left hanging in a tree. Soon learned to take it home and unharness there.

My F150 had this happen to a lesser extent, that's when I found out the wiring "cover" that used to be plastic is made from Soy - to be more eco friendly I guess
Yep. A local I know here had mice total the wiring harness on his 2015 F-150. Took a month to fix at the local Ford dealer. I added one of those electronic motion detector, anti-rodent devices under the hood of both my vehicles about a year ago. So far no damage and I live in an area of high mouse and chipmunk densities. I don't have a great deal of faith in those gadgets but have fingers crossed :)

That's because it was a Land Rover. LMAO!!!!
Or maybe Uniroyal tires with their "Royal" tiger mascot wearing a crown? That pissed the lion off. LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NormanFaws

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.