Animal you wouldn't hunt

Discussion in 'Hunting Africa' started by Silence, Nov 13, 2015.

1. daved

daved AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI , PHASA
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
    Penguins . I don't think I could hunt a penguins

bluey likes this.

2. thriller

thriller AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NWTF, NRA, DU and QDMA
    Hunted:
    Countries: Argentina, United States and Zimbabwe States: AL, LA, FL, MS, Tenn., SD, ND, IA, NE, KN,SC, GA, TX and NC
    Saul, daved, Hogpatrol and 1 other person like this.

3. TallGrassHunter

TallGrassHunter AH Veteran

I'm a horse lover and can think of a few that should have been shot.

I have to admit at this stage of the game I enjoy the hunt much more than the kill, but have no 2nd thoughts about the circle of life. In fact, when my time comes, hopefully I can go as quickly. Can't think of much I wouldn't shoot under the right conditions.

4. Mr. 16 gauge

Mr. 16 gauge AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Just about anything that was on my toy Noah's ark as a kid;):D:D

Seriously, I guess my list is a bit longer than most: elephants (we did an elephant back safari when we were in RSA, and I was just impressed by the animals......unless it was trying to kill me, I couldn't pull the trigger on one). Lions and other big cats: I guess I have just shot more than my fair share of feral house cats and that "itch" has somehow been scratched. giraffe.....no, couldn't do it (not really sure why). zebras? You bet! I got bit by a horse as a child, so somebody has got to pay!!
    Never thought I could kill a primate, and then I've seen how vicious they can be!!! I've seen videos of the chacma baboon and how aggressive (and destructive) they are on the eastern cape. I also can't help but remember when Mike Rowe of "Dirty Jobs" went to a monkey sanctuary in S.A. and he and just about everyone on the staff got attacked by one very aggressive vervet monkey (I guess if my balls were blue, I'd be pissed about it, too). ....and if that isn't food for thought ....and if you think chimps are cute and cuddly, google "Charla Nash" and see what one "pet" chimp is capable of!

Albertaguy likes this.

5. Slugs Away

Slugs Away AH Veteran

I just wanted to add that at heart I'm a meat hunter, tho I do understand the conservation side of trophy hunting and I am in full support of it.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
    Erich likes this.

6. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    You get to eat the meat in Africa. Just most goes to someone else's freezer or kitchen. If I could bring it home I would. Alas, all they will let me bring back is horns and capes.

bluey and Erich like this.

7. MarkCZ

MarkCZ AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Finland, Estonia, C.Z. Poland, Slovakia, Scotland , England, Namibia
    I have no desire to shoot Elephant, Lion, Rhino, Giraffe. I have no problem shooting Jackals (big Foxes). I love hunting Baboons very challenging.
    MarkCZ

8. Erich

Erich AH Member

I have never hunted Africa, only in the US so far but for me it's mostly predators. I wouldn't hesitate to kill one in self defence but my favorite part of hunting so far is the delicious meats. I'm proud of any animal I take to the point where I try to get every head mounted and would get every hide tanned just to use as much of the animal as I could. Large horns, tusks or antlers do look great but they aren't my desire. I enjoy the hunt from picking gear to tracking, stalking and scouting right through a fantastic meal. So for me personally I wouldn't care to hunt anything that would not be good for meat or anything endangered along with anything raised in captivity like some game ranches in the US.

9. Diamondhitch

Diamondhitch AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Canada (AB, SK, NWT, BC) USA (NM, TX) South Africa (Limpopo, KZN, Free State, Eastern Cape, Northen Cape), Kyrgyzstan, Czech Republic
    Sure you can, you just need to dry it completely, dip it in pesticide, expose it to Gamma radiation and disinfect it in sea salt for 30 days then your good to go... (n) Yum

10. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
    I'll send you my crate from my next trophy shipment. Looks like it would taste about the same when its boiled.

11. 35bore

35bore AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    Thought a while on this topic, I don't think there is an animal on earth I wouldn't hunt/shoot/kill if the circumstances were in order..................... i.e. culling, or domestic gone crazy, or even given the command too.

If I were paying for the hunting situation though, I would say the only animal would be a whale or porpoise . Everything else I think I'd be fine with. Maybe because they don't make taxidermist molds for them.

12. PHOENIX PHIL

PHOENIX PHIL AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, S. Africa
    The rabbit of Caerbanoog is right out, makes me soil my armor thinking about it! See for yourself....

Royal27 likes this.

13. bluey

bluey AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    ssaa, aba ,bairnsdale field archers SFP
    Hunted:
    australia south africa (limpopo, north west,eastcape) canada (b.c)zambia
    disagree with the whales ,bro .
    a lot of whale species have bounced back , and are in good numbers where theres no other reason than public opinion , where they cant and shouldn't be harvested in moderate numbers ,
    I believe every country in the world should have a quota , on this renewable resource
    being a renewable resource , why shouldn't they pay there own way in todays world

14. 35bore

35bore AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA,Missouri hunters ed, SCI, Owensville Gun Club, Quail Forever
    Hunted:
    USA, South Africa, France
    Bluey, I meant the only reason is that there are no mounts for the buggers.lol

15. NickyMaz

NickyMaz AH Senior Member

Member of:
    NRA, SCI, RMEF, Wild Sheep Foundation
    I've never had the urge to hunt a bird of any kind. Nothing at all against it, just not my thing.