Ammunition

Jeff P

AH member
Reaction score
Deals & offers
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
For as long as I can remember. 1 of the most commonly given bits of advice was, "take a caliber that you can find ammo for anywhere." Now you can't find commen ammo at any store in the U.S. I'm glad I have a 257 Weatherby in mind for my next hunt. Weatherby was about the only ammo left on the shelf at the local Sporstman Warehouse yesterday. Same with reloading supplies. 257 & 300 Weatherby was all sold out too------when I left.

Glad all my reloads are in the can waiting to be used.
I'd hate to head to the local store now and hope something was available.

I will only be practicing with those loads if I can replace them by acquiring new components.

Worse is trying to find loading components, especially powder. Our local Wholesale Sports (formerly Sportsmans Warehouse) is closing too, after the big run on AR's and everything else! Was told at one store that it would be 5-7 months to get some Varget.

To a certain extent I was fortunate in seeing this comming (the run on components) and started stockpiling several months ago.

By the time all my orders come in I will have several thousand projectiles covering all the calibers I have to reload for, as well as close to 20lbs of various powders.

I'm hoping this is enough to get me through the "back-order" period.

To a certain extent I was fortunate in seeing this comming (the run on components) and started stockpiling several months ago.

By the time all my orders come in I will have several thousand projectiles covering all the calibers I have to reload for, as well as close to 20lbs of various powders.

I'm hoping this is enough to get me through the "back-order" period.
+1 This is the right thing to do. I did the same. I try to always keep a stock components on hand.

If your in a "bind" and don't mind the premium price, check out gunbrokers.com

It,s been tough for us re-loaders,,a used single stage press that sold for 50.00 now sells for a 100.00,,hard to justify the extra expense,,,I,m ok with primers, cases,and bullets for the stuff I allready re-load but have acquired three new calibers,,,22-250,,,7MM Rem Mag,,and 30-06 and and have been met with the usual shortages,,,also the ever so popular 9MM pistol and 223 is hard to find either as re-loading components and store bought stuff,,,most of the local re-loading store have either jacked up their price ( won,t be dealing with them) or putting limits on the amount of Powder ,Primers etc to stop hoarders ,,even Cabelas is back ordered 2 months on some supplies

The panic buying has not been a problem for me. I stocked up on mil surplus ammo and some commercial ammo 5-15 years ago. I also shoot only my handloads for hunting and did the same on supplies. I did buy swift and some barnes bullets lately due to the fact that African game will not die using Nosler PAR bullets:) So it is swift and Barnes for my Africa hunt in April/May 2013.
I have supplies for about 35 different cartridges that I now load for.

I do not feel sorry for those who are just now jumping into the reloading and not being able to get supplies or equipment. They are the ones who are the major reason for the problems. Same goes for firearms and commercial/mil surplus ammo.

Front Sight now suggests trainees bring their own ammo when previously they just about required the use of their own stuff. They can't get enough. I need 800 rds more of 9MM for my course.

It's absolutely terrible. Good thing I have several years supply of reloading components for my 45 ACP, 270s, 375s and 500 Jeffery. Not so fortunate with the 22s and 9mms.

Ammo = latest toilet paper, this is ridiculous! This ammo deal will end up costing me a friendship, and it will cost my former friend the ability to stay and hunt on my ranch every year.
A couple 4 weeks ago I was trying to source ammo to practice for our upcoming trip to Africa in June. When I couldn’t really find much at the time for what I unknowingly saw as a decent price, I was forced to start considering reloading. A friend has an automatic indexing loader and it reminded me of when I loaded shotgun shells. I started to research whether or not this was the route I needed to take to ensure we would have some shells for practice. Not having reloaded since I was a kid, I saw that equipment in some ways has come a long way, (the actions are the same but for instance powder measuring looks much less tedious). At the same time I was researching, my friend happened to call.
We had a discussion about what I should buy, and what my goal was. At the time, 308’s that I could find were just over 2 dollars per round for ammo I bought in the past for less than a dollar. I told him this seemed to be ridiculous, he then shared that he had stockpiles of powder and primers and if I supplied the dies for the calibers he didnt have, he could get me some shells. I said wow thats very generous, I can pay you to do it. He said, he didnt want payment, but our friendship and the hunting I comes here to do each year would be payment enough.
I thought ok— and told him “Well lets see if we can even get the stuff to reload what I need. Let’s look around and see what is available and what it costs— I have brass so that isn’t a bid deal.”
2 hours later he sends me an invoice for 1800 bucks— I looked it and he had gone ahead and purchased the dies and trays and a ton of brass — (which I already had from spent cartridges we had already shot).as well as some stuff for himself.
He is a different kinda cat, and I just let the purchase (before we agreed on anything) go. Additionally there were some things in there I knew he didnt need to reload my stuff and the total was a couple hundred bucks, I figured that was his compensation.
Without powder and primers or labor if he charged me— we were already at more than I could have found the ammo in the first place for. Now forward 3 weeks and ammo is even harder to get and people are losing their minds and paying agregious prices for ammo and components on gunbroker. Panic buying just like toilet paper.
We met halfway last week and he gave me the ammo— including some ammo in calibers I didn’t even have or asked for. (So I took that as a sign from god and bought a new 7mm-08- lol)
Last night, he sends me a note saying he wants his powder replaced (varget mostly) and wants like 8lbs and wants large rifle primers and further says these components are no longer going to be available and this is how the Democrats are going to control the masses, and keep them unarmed. He wants his powder and primers now and I can drop ship it to his house.
So, for 300 308’s, 200- 22-250, 100-7-08 and 100-270’s I was first out 1800, now if I replaced everything ASAP on a deal I never agreed to in the first place, I am guessing I’d be out another 1800+.
I saw folks asking for 900 bucks for the powder alone— I am not sure what 1400 large rifle primers would go for.
I am livid—perhaps I shouldn’t be, in his defense— he is losing his mind,and I am sure is wearing a tin foil hat. Initially he told me he had 15000 primers and that making me 500 308’s to practice off sticks with would be not big deal, he had powder and would be good with this stuff.
We discussed other calibers in the conversation and he took it upon himself to just reload all the other stuff, admittedly I saw the quantities of bullets he bought, but didnt check the calibers as I was mad about the 1800 bucks, but figured it would work itself out —
He txted me that he was going to load me some other stuff as well — I told him man were are spending more than I could have just bought ammo for and he said costs would plummet in the future because I would have brass —I told him I already had it before we went down this road in the first place— he didnt want to wait till later on brass because it would be gone and pulled the trigger when he found components, I told him well lets not do that again in the future.
Last night. Get a not saying he wants his powder and primers replaced at todays prices.
I responded to the note, and told him I would replace his stuff, but not at the prices I was seeing on gun broker, I was willing to pay a reasonable premium but not 300%+. If he was unhappy with this I would meet him halfway and give him his stuff back and he could either use them himself in the coming conflicts, or sell them or possbily disassemble them sand recover components (not even sure this is possible), or he could wait— I further told him the sky was not falling and eventually production would catch up. What did he want to do? Well, he is calling and as I canning be civil I am not going to pick up the phone for a day or 2 to cool off.
Drama — and for nothing— this whole thing is a dumpster fire!

Wow, most unfortunate! Not sure if there is a lesson here other than be sure of your friends before letting them do "favors" for you.
Sorry to see this go the way it did.

Similar thing happened with a best friend of mine some years ago. He has since passed away, but it happens.

Ammo = latest toilet paper, this is ridiculous! This ammo deal will end up costing me a friendship, and it will cost my former friend the ability to stay and hunt on my ranch every year.
A couple 4 weeks ago I was trying to source ammo to practice for our upcoming trip to Africa in June. When I couldn’t really find much at the time for what I unknowingly saw as a decent price, I was forced to start considering reloading. A friend has an automatic indexing loader and it reminded me of when I loaded shotgun shells. I started to research whether or not this was the route I needed to take to ensure we would have some shells for practice. Not having reloaded since I was a kid, I saw that equipment in some ways has come a long way, (the actions are the same but for instance powder measuring looks much less tedious). At the same time I was researching, my friend happened to call.
We had a discussion about what I should buy, and what my goal was. At the time, 308’s that I could find were just over 2 dollars per round for ammo I bought in the past for less than a dollar. I told him this seemed to be ridiculous, he then shared that he had stockpiles of powder and primers and if I supplied the dies for the calibers he didnt have, he could get me some shells. I said wow thats very generous, I can pay you to do it. He said, he didnt want payment, but our friendship and the hunting I comes here to do each year would be payment enough.
I thought ok— and told him “Well lets see if we can even get the stuff to reload what I need. Let’s look around and see what is available and what it costs— I have brass so that isn’t a bid deal.”
2 hours later he sends me an invoice for 1800 bucks— I looked it and he had gone ahead and purchased the dies and trays and a ton of brass — (which I already had from spent cartridges we had already shot).as well as some stuff for himself.
He is a different kinda cat, and I just let the purchase (before we agreed on anything) go. Additionally there were some things in there I knew he didnt need to reload my stuff and the total was a couple hundred bucks, I figured that was his compensation.
Without powder and primers or labor if he charged me— we were already at more than I could have found the ammo in the first place for. Now forward 3 weeks and ammo is even harder to get and people are losing their minds and paying agregious prices for ammo and components on gunbroker. Panic buying just like toilet paper.
We met halfway last week and he gave me the ammo— including some ammo in calibers I didn’t even have or asked for. (So I took that as a sign from god and bought a new 7mm-08- lol)
Last night, he sends me a note saying he wants his powder replaced (varget mostly) and wants like 8lbs and wants large rifle primers and further says these components are no longer going to be available and this is how the Democrats are going to control the masses, and keep them unarmed. He wants his powder and primers now and I can drop ship it to his house.
So, for 300 308’s, 200- 22-250, 100-7-08 and 100-270’s I was first out 1800, now if I replaced everything ASAP on a deal I never agreed to in the first place, I am guessing I’d be out another 1800+.
I saw folks asking for 900 bucks for the powder alone— I am not sure what 1400 large rifle primers would go for.
I am livid—perhaps I shouldn’t be, in his defense— he is losing his mind,and I am sure is wearing a tin foil hat. Initially he told me he had 15000 primers and that making me 500 308’s to practice off sticks with would be not big deal, he had powder and would be good with this stuff.
We discussed other calibers in the conversation and he took it upon himself to just reload all the other stuff, admittedly I saw the quantities of bullets he bought, but didnt check the calibers as I was mad about the 1800 bucks, but figured it would work itself out —
He txted me that he was going to load me some other stuff as well — I told him man were are spending more than I could have just bought ammo for and he said costs would plummet in the future because I would have brass —I told him I already had it before we went down this road in the first place— he didnt want to wait till later on brass because it would be gone and pulled the trigger when he found components, I told him well lets not do that again in the future.
Last night. Get a not saying he wants his powder and primers replaced at todays prices.
I responded to the note, and told him I would replace his stuff, but not at the prices I was seeing on gun broker, I was willing to pay a reasonable premium but not 300%+. If he was unhappy with this I would meet him halfway and give him his stuff back and he could either use them himself in the coming conflicts, or sell them or possbily disassemble them sand recover components (not even sure this is possible), or he could wait— I further told him the sky was not falling and eventually production would catch up. What did he want to do? Well, he is calling and as I canning be civil I am not going to pick up the phone for a day or 2 to cool off.
Drama — and for nothing— this whole thing is a dumpster fire!
It is too bad that friends will do this to others without even batting a eyelash.

As for using "today's prices" to replace his items I can understand that. If you can find the supplies cheaper then I would purchase it and hand it to him but good luck on doing that. I stopped by a store to check their powder supply just yesterday and was tempted to pick up some just to have on hand, but I really didn't need it.

But if he becomes reasonable use this page to figure out the cost of the loaded ammo even using today's prices minus the brass that you said that you didn't need him to purchase. And then perhaps give him something for his time.

He comes here every year— spends 5 days, drinks his handle of liquor then gets into mine — Not a fun drunk either — shoots 3-4 deer and has killed 2 bucks by accident —by shooting deer that are super young. Always asks if he can kill some axis as well. I asked him last time— “you are using and eating all these deer for yourself right? “ answer oh no— I am giving a lot of it to my neighbors they love it and me for it! I said I had other people who wanted to hunt and he should shoot fewer deer— story changed to they use it for only family.
I feed him breakfast lunch and dinner while he is here— he has a truck to use and his own house to stay in. He does not even help with the dishes - i dont say a word— he helped me way back when and I attribute part of the reason I am retired today to his help. So I dont say a word— I just grin and bear it. He does not have the funds to afford a lease, so i told him from the get go - I got you, but the last 2 years I feel taken advantage of.
So- during our initial discussion of this ammo deal I said id pay for the components you use of course if I decide to do this. Then Bam we are doing it and he is off and shopping like a mad man and now he wants everything replaced— well buddy your just gonna need to wait till pricing comes out of the stratosphere— if you can’t here is all your sH!!t back—maybe I am being hard, but I and angry. I feel like I have been taken advantage of. I’m sure there is some communication breakdowns here- obviously and this is only my side, but geeze this is ridiculous.

Under current conditions and the inflated component market I would think you were way overloaded with 700 rounds of assorted ammo. How much practice would you need. I think your past obligations to this gentleman have been repaid in full.

Well I do need some ammo for my ranch rifles for pigs and such — and as there are 2 of us practicing off sticks and the Safari is 6 months away— I figured practice of 5 shots per day at 200 and 250 yds with 308 per day is 10 rounds per day total for both of us — all of the 308 would be used up in 1 month. We typically practice daily or 5 times or so per week with the 22lr at 50 and 100 and then when we both get to where its automatic I figured we would move to the 308 and each shoot 1-3 a each of the further gongs — and still keep shooting the 22 at the closer ones. AlL I read on here is I wish I would have -practiced more off sticks, I have the time and the place so it seemed to me that I should do this. My wife has not shot even remotely close to as many times or guns as I have and she has taken to this shooting as something we do together.
As for the other calibers — I didnt tell him to load those, but with us hunting here pretty often and having guests who borrow guns, its not really a crazy amount of ammo. At least not to me— we may differ in how much we shoot though or how often — I dont sit and shoot for hours— rather go for my walk and then get the gun and shoot 5 or so shots and leave it till the next day.

A very economical way that I found to practice off of sticks is with a 22Lr.

While you can't shoot to the range that your hunting rifle will you can practice your form which is very necessary for shooting off of sticks. Set your target up at 30-50 yards and bang away with the 22.

Damn, this thread makes me want to go home and roll around in ammo! Lol

shitty deal your “buddy” pulled

Just bough a cz 457 .22lr and 17hr combo to do just that!
A very economical way that I found to practice off of sticks is with a 22Lr.

While you can't shoot to the range that your hunting rifle will you can practice your form which is very necessary for shooting off of sticks. Set your target up at 30-50 yards and bang away with the 22.

I was at sportsman’s warehouse in Provo utah last night and sure enough there were in fact a couple random boxes of weatherby ammo. . . Also several of the .338 and .375 calibers and some .416 offerings. Lots of weird .340 and .356 and other sordid wildcats. But everything else was gone-I’m saying reloading manuals, shell holders, plastic boxes etc-gone. Instead of powder they are using the shelves to sell lanterns. I bought some Barnes bullets they had in stock and was happy I always keep a good stock of components to reload. . . Kinda wish I had .257 wby

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg