Ammunition Travel Case

WestCo

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
Zimbabwe
Wanted to get some opinions from those who have been traveling by air as to what is their preference for a hard sided, lockable ammunition travel case. It will be for taking approx 100 rounds of factory 375 H&H ammo with me from the US to Zim.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my last trip I took an extra scope with me. I will continue to do this in the future and all scopes will be on detachable rings to ease the ability to switch scopes if the need arises.

As such I bought a Pelican case that I could put the extra scope in along with my ammo boxes.

I was actually taking a look at these myself this week. I have an MTM case guard 100 ammo case, nice case but not lockable. I found some Plano models that have a built in place to slide a lock through. 50 round cases, I'm sure they also offer 100 round cases

SKB do some very nice cases - better value IMO than Pelican.

Pelican case is what we used last time and I will use again in 2017. Used TSA locks on them. Model 1200 was what we used and got them off E-bay for less money than other places. They were new with foam. Took out the foam for the trip.

Wanted to get some opinions from those who have been traveling by air as to what is their preference for a hard sided, lockable ammunition travel case. It will be for taking approx 100 rounds of factory 375 H&H ammo with me from the US to Zim.
You might use MTM dry survivor box...that is what I use for extra ammo box. You can lock it and it does not weigh much. Fits into my Tuffpak no problem. There are two sizes but for 375 you will need the larger.
Before that I used an inexpensive metal cash box. I took out the coin tray. Has cheap lock you could pick with hairpin but it meets all the rules and works.

Seems like most of us agree. I use a Pelican case. Ammo, knife, a few other odds and ends, often comes back empty.

One advantage of putting a bunch of other stuff in the same case is that - at least in my experience - if you get asked what the ammo weights (you're only allowed 11 lbs), you say 10lbs, and if the conversation goes any further (it did once), and you're asked why the case weighs what it weighs, you say well, the 11 lbs doesn't include the weight of the case or anything else that's in it. End of story. Might even allow you to take a pound or two of extra ammo!

I used an Americase ammo case and put it inside of my duffle bag. I thought that there was a limit on the number of rounds - 60 maybe per caliber when I went in 2011. I took 60 rounds 375 H&H and 40 rounds 30-06 for my buffalo and plains game. The case is about 5" x 5" x 15". I was able to put a knife and my range finder in there too.

Amazon...Pellican 1200 should work fine...check dimesions..$35.00 plus lockable and very well made. Different colors possible...may want a bright one if it is removed from luggage for SAA requirements, differentuate from others on same flight with an odd color. Mine is Yellow and really stands out on the carosel.

I used an Americase ammo case and put it inside of my duffle bag. I thought that there was a limit on the number of rounds - 60 maybe per caliber when I went in 2011. I took 60 rounds 375 H&H and 40 rounds 30-06 for my buffalo and plains game. The case is about 5" x 5" x 15". I was able to put a knife and my range finder in there too.

I did the same with 7mmRemMag ammo, knives, etc. It is a very well made, lockable case

Pelican cases are just about the best. I have about 6 of them. I have bought a few because of different guns and ammo and I need it to not be too big but just the right size. I have a Pelican 1470 that I am using now which I like because it holds 5 boxes of .375 and just a little room for a few other things like a rangefinder etc. Of course you can take out some of the padding and customize to your needs.
Regards,
Philip
P.S. Packing now.

I bought a Pelican 1200 and removed the glued in foam and put in my own foam packing. It'll hold 200 rds. of medium size ammo in boxes with room to stuff foam in around them.

In my limited experience, from the UK to Greenland via Denmark (total of 4 flights each way).

I was asked how much ammo I had, I guessed at 1.5 kg and they accepted that. I just filled in the paperwork at the desk myself on most flights and often didn't even open the gun case.

The only SN checks were on leaving the UK, leaving Greenland and entering the UK.

My 30 rounds of slug were in a cash tin in the peli case. On the flight from Copenhagen to Gatwick I was told that it wasn't acceptable. I had confirmation from the airline that it was ok. So we compromised and took the bolt out of the gun and put it into my other case.

I'm guessing most countries aren't so relaxed though.

one word pelican

Funny, I just ordered last week a Pelican Storm IM2050 for my hunt in Zim. A little lighter than the pelicases and will also hold any dirty clothes going back, effectivily stopping nosey people :whistle::)

For ammo I have a cabelas brand ammo case that is made from aircraft grade aluminum! Took three boxes of 416 , two 458 Lott, and a knives and ammo pouch! TSA locks and in the checked bag it goes!

The pelican 1400 case is a good choice. It can hold 100 rounds of any type of hunting ammunition including nitro large bore stuff.

Dual locks for TSA padlocks and some bubble wrap and good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg