Ammunition Test - Hornady DGX Bonded VS Swift A-frame

Thanks for the posting the results! As the owner of a 450-400 NE, 416 Ruger and 375 Ruger, the Hornady ammo is by far the most available. I am glad to see that it performed well!

Thanks for the great test on the DGX Bonded, I'm always glad to see product improvement.

+1 on both counts.

Aussie hunter, thanks for a great post with solid, usable information. I think it was kevin robertson (that right?) that shot a cape buffalo with the bonded hornady's and they did a great job and performed well. glad they fixed their issues. Your post was thoughtful and nicely done, thanks again.

Yeah I couldn't agree with this more! Customers should actually be happy with Hornady, Hornady brought out the original DGX, customers were not happy with it, Hornady listened and made it better. And not only did they make it better but in Australia it's still the same price point as the old DGX. I really don't see what the problem is............
Also I think the issues with the old DGX has been blown out of proportion, is there well documented failures? Yes there certainly seems to be but the statistic I would like to see is, how many DGX rounds were used to how many actually failed? The one old DGX I have tested retained nearly 84% of it's original weight and provided significantly more penetration than the DGX bonded and Swift A-frame (from a different calibre). Did the old DGX look like an absolute piece of caca at the end of the test?? haha it sure did but would it have done the job on game? Anyway I will shut up about this now before it turns back into the old DGX argument haha which is not what I wanted this to be about, it's more about the bonded DGX and how it genuinely competes with arguably the best bullet on the market the Swift A-Frame.

They listened but it took years and much evidence and complaints circulated world wide to do it. Not what I would call a very responsive outfit, especially when these bullets were used for DG. It is good to see they have rectified the problem finally.

Hornady can still go take a long walk off a short plank as far as their loaded ammo goes. Their 416Rgby 400grn loads rattle my teeth compared to my home loads and my home loads come out a 100fps faster over the chrony. Their 400 grain pills boot a bit more than my home loaded 450's.

All that being said I still take my hat off to Steve Hornady for having the business balls to reintroduce the old classic's like the 416Rigby etc.

I tested the 270 TSX, 300 A-Frame, and the 350 grain Northfork in water. I don't remember the exact penetration for each but the Northfork out performed the others, and the Barnes penetrated the least, which was a surprise
I posted it all on the bullet performance thread

View attachment 330494

View attachment 330495
The looks of that 350 gr Northfork just says Buffalo bullet. I sure hope they return to the market.

The looks of that 350 gr Northfork just says Buffalo bullet. I sure hope they return to the market.

Reloading International will have them when they become available. I just received some 120 grain in 25 caliber from them.

Yes there was really no comparison, the Northfork had noticeable more impact, measured penetration and larger frontal area.
That's what l will have loaded when l go for buffalo

Hornady can still go take a long walk off a short plank as far as their loaded ammo goes. Their 416Rgby 400grn loads rattle my teeth compared to my home loads and my home loads come out a 100fps faster over the chrony. Their 400 grain pills boot a bit more than my home loaded 450's.

rule 303,

so if i understand this right, your loads shoot 100 fps FASTER and recoil noticeably LESS than the hornady loads in the same rifle? just curious, but how is that possible?

rule 303,

so if i understand this right, your loads shoot 100 fps FASTER and recoil noticeably LESS than the hornady loads in the same rifle? just curious, but how is that possible?
I was also a little confused by this............

+1 on both counts.

Aussie hunter, thanks for a great post with solid, usable information. I think it was kevin robertson (that right?) that shot a cape buffalo with the bonded hornady's and they did a great job and performed well. glad they fixed their issues. Your post was thoughtful and nicely done, thanks again.
Yeah that's right Kevin Robertson's results were pretty impressive as well. No worries I'm glad to see some people are interested in it and like I said in previous comments I will do the same test with some other ammo once I have it and as I get time.

rule 303,

Because Hornady use the wrong powder I presume. I use 94 grains of AR2209 if I use AR2213sc, a slower powder I have to use 104 grains (from memory) to get the same velocity as Hornady and AR2213SC kicks like the Hornady loads.

It may take a while for Hornady to fix their DGX reputation. I talked to several PHs last year while planning this year's trip to Zambia and Zimbabwe. One of the PHs said "please don't bring Hornady, we have seen lots of issues with those bullets". Another PH asked me what I was bringing and was relieved when I told him I would be shooting 400gr A-frames; and he also had bad things to say about Hornady. Bad reputations die a slow death in Africa (and the hunting world in general).

But, i'm very glad that Hornady seems to have fixed the issue; especially considering that this is a dangerous game bullet. And thank you Aussie-Hunter for doing some testing on the new bullets and comparing them to the A-frame. How many rounds of DGX did you shoot? I wonder if they have the same reliability and consistency of the A-Frame.

It may take a while for Hornady to fix their DGX reputation. I talked to several PHs last year while planning this year's trip to Zambia and Zimbabwe. One of the PHs said "please don't bring Hornady, we have seen lots of issues with those bullets". Another PH asked me what I was bringing and was relieved when I told him I would be shooting 400gr A-frames; and he also had bad things to say about Hornady. Bad reputations die a slow death in Africa (and the hunting world in general).

But, i'm very glad that Hornady seems to have fixed the issue; especially considering that this is a dangerous game bullet. And thank you Aussie-Hunter for doing some testing on the new bullets and comparing them to the A-frame. How many rounds of DGX did you shoot? I wonder if they have the same reliability and consistency of the A-Frame.
I only tested one of each. I'm pretty confident they will be consistent, like I said I have also used them in the field already with great results.

This is a test of ONE. Not valid or important, but I liked the result. I shot a cape buffalo with my .450-400 3" October 2019 in the Caprivi. Loaded with 400 gr. DGX bonded factory load. Range was about 80-90M. He was facing me, angling to my right. Bullet struck the right shoulder, entered the chest just above the heart, and continued on, to be lost in the rumen. Buffalo hunched up, obviously hard hit, hopped on three legs, turned and tried to get away, and was dropped by a follow up shot from the rear with a North Fork Cup Point Solid that penetrated the ham, the guts, the rumen and some of the right lung to lodge in the right rib cage. My pictures don't show it, but the first shot was surely fatal and the damage to the lungs was extensive. Not sorry I took a follow up shot, but it was probably not required.

IMG_0780.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice that Hornady is getting their act together with the DGX. Being ancient, I use 150g Nosler Partitions at 3000 fps in my 60s vintage 270, 300g A-Frames in my 375 Weatherby and gasp! 570g TSX at 2300 fps in my 500 Jeffery (I'm coming over to the dark side (monometal bullets)).

A 300g A-Frame after traversing a 900 lb Brown bear diagonally, entering in the right front shoulder and ending up in skin of his left rear thigh. Still weighed 299.5 grains. Range 13 yards.

5NwQ1PZ.jpg

Attachments

• 5NwQ1PZ.jpg
    5NwQ1PZ.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 196
Has anyone been able to buy recent production Northfork bullets yet?

I tried calling Reloading International a couple weeks ago and couldn't get anyone to answer the phone or call back.

Yes. I was looking at their website today and most everything shows out of stock.
@Jorgen Bostrom is the owner now of North Fork. I'd have to guess that he's frustrated with not selling bullets and bringing a return on his investment. Hopefully he will chime in with the latest news.

I also see on North Fork's website that @ndumo HUNTING SAFARIS may be a supplier in Africa, Namibia to be exact. But the link only takes you to their hunting website and I don't see anything in regards to bullets.

I also looked up a German outfit that provides bullets. They have the North Forks listed, but say they will be ordered with no delivery date available.

So I'd say for the time being, we're out of luck. It'll be A-Frames in my barrel the next time I go to Africa if the NF's aren't available.

@Jorgen Bostrom is the owner now of North Fork. I'd have to guess that he's frustrated with not selling bullets and bringing a return on his investment. Hopefully he will chime in with the latest news.

I also see on North Fork's website that @ndumo HUNTING SAFARIS may be a supplier in Africa, Namibia to be exact. But the link only takes you to their hunting website and I don't see anything in regards to bullets.

I also looked up a German outfit that provides bullets. They have the North Forks listed, but say they will be ordered with no delivery date available.

So I'd say for the time being, we're out of luck. It'll be A-Frames in my barrel the next time I go to Africa if the NF's aren't available.
Your second choice is definitely a very sound one, if the NFs can't be had. I've been wanting to try some 350gr 375 bullets, and the NFs seem ideal.

Has anyone been able to buy recent production Northfork bullets yet?
I had never even seen or heard of Northfork until becoming a member on this forum. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Northfork bullets have ever been bought into Australia?
@TOBY458 Don't like the DGX bonded as an option for your new Winchester Alaskan?

Your second choice is definitely a very sound one, if the NFs can't be had. I've been wanting to try some 350gr 375 bullets, and the NFs seem ideal.

If the 350's will fly in your rifle (they'll be a bit long), then that would certainly be a good choice for buffalo. But I'm not certain if you'd really gain much over the 300's. That bullet design holds the weight so well, the 350's may just be more and not necessarily better. But certainly they won't be worse provided they're accurate enough for buff distance.

I had never even seen or heard of Northfork until becoming a member on this forum. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think Northfork bullets have ever been bought into Australia?
@TOBY458 Don't like the DGX bonded as an option for your new Winchester Alaskan?
Not that I have anything against the DGX Bonded. I've just had such good luck with Swift AF and Barnes TSX, I don't have a reason to change.

I used 300gr TSX in Australia on 3 Buffalo bulls, and was very impressed with their performance. They make the 375 seem like plenty of gun for Buffalo, and I wondered why anyone would want more.

In Africa 2018, I used Swift on all of the PG and my Buffalo on my first trip. The 375 H&H for PG and 416 Rem for my Buffalo. The Swifts were also excellent. The Buffalo took one 416 in the chest and that was that. The shot was straight on, and the bullet pierced the heart and was found way back in his guts somewhere.
The Swifts also gave excellent results on PG in the 375. No bullets were recovered, because every shot blew right through.

In Africa 2019, I used all TSX in my 375 H&H for everything. 270 grain for PG and Lioness, and 300 grain for Buffalo. I did have one of the 270gr bullets come apart on the Lioness, but they worked great on everything else, including a huge Eland.
For future hunts I plan to stick with 300 grain bullets for everything. No need for two different weights that I could tell.

If I were strictly hunting Elephant or Maybe Hippo on dry land, I would think the 350 gr North Fork solids would be excellent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg