Ammunition Holder for Buffalo Hunt Options

I really like mine from African Sporting Creations. I used a Galco on my pants belt on a couple of trips, but having the separate one which is easier to put on and take off is much handier. I also carry a sheath knife and Leatherman on it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.45.49 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.45.49 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 241
  • Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.45.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-08-13 at 9.45.52 AM.png
    639.5 KB · Views: 219
I find that it's best to use what you've had long experience and practice with. For years I've used an Uncle Mike's synthetic nylon ammunition belts for home, PG and DG hunting. They're light and very robust, and in the heat of the moment I find I'm not buggering about fumbling for ammo, as by long practice I know instinctively where it is, and they're very easy to get the rounds out.

Kevin, where did you get that shirt? That looks handy. I always seem to have my shirt tail come out and get in my way with cartridges on my belt. I also have a bit of dublap that make a belt less than perfect. With my double, reaching up would be more ergonomic with lesser waving.
I also wear safari style shirts doing naturalist work. Itwouldbe handy to keep my thermometer and small vials in those loops.
Thanks
Bfl

Dick Murray leather is what I use. I carry two of them (6rd no top cover) for the type of hunt you are going on. They don’t weight much and you have 12 rounds ready. Mine are worn from many safaris but this kind of quality lasts forever, or nearly forever.
other options are out there but not as comfortable to me. You’ll see me using these in my safari prep videos.
Philip

I have two of Dick Murray's leather cartridge belts--one for 375 H&H and one for 416 Rigby. He makes them in 6 and 8 round sizes that slide onto your belt. I bought the one without the cover flap, but I think he makes both kinds. MurrayCustomLeather.com.
Ditto

What ever you choose practice loading and unloading with your eyes closed

Put on the kit that you will wear in the bush and get familiar with how your rounds sit on your belt

whether the loops are grabby

practice that whole procedure until you have retained the muscle memory to do it reliably, at speed, under pressure and without having to think

when you are happy with it, practice again and again

you won’t regret the time put in

Kevin, where did you get that shirt? That looks handy. I always seem to have my shirt tail come out and get in my way with cartridges on my belt. I also have a bit of dublap that make a belt less than perfect. With my double, reaching up would be more ergonomic with lesser waving.
I also wear safari style shirts doing naturalist work. Itwouldbe handy to keep my thermometer and small vials in those loops.
Thanks
Bfl
Hi Blackfly, did I ever reply to this? If not, please accept my apologies. These shirts come from Westley Richards, Birmingham.
all the best,
Kevin

There are ammo wrist bands, if you like that sort of thing.

1611416648829.jpeg

Here’s mine for my .375H&H rounds when using the double. Configured to make grabbing two rounds efficiently. Belt loop at the back.
FN

I like a good 5 round belt slide. I have a culling belt and used it on ny first hunt. I found it too cumbersome and didn't like lugging around excess ammo. If I needed more, we usually weren't too far from the bakkie to resupply. Never had a situation where I needed more for a short stalk than 4 in the gun and 5 on the belt.

I'm planning on getting a Murray C-8 Cartridge belt with leather loops.
Currently I'm using a Galco Safari 5 that I had the top cut off and finished.
I'll most likely end up keeping the wife's ammo in the Safari 5, but on my Murray belt.
When she decides to hunt Buffalo, we can put it on her belt.
Until then it's just easier for me to carry it for her.

FYI - This pouch will hold 416RM, 375H&H and 300WM all with equal tension.
View attachment 362042
I have used the same Murray Leather ammo holder for many Safaris. I have two of them for .375 and one for .470. They are light and durable.

It's all about the 10 round leather W.R. pouch for me and of course open for easy and fast access

Open leather pouch. Ten rounda x2...easily slideable on belt
Remember ammo capacity is not needed first shot placement is your main objective...the rest is just insurance
One shot in the right place is all you need forget the looks of fancy ammo belts holders

I have yet to hunt cape buffalo, but plan to in the next year or two with a Model 70 in 416 Rem Mag I own. What do you recommend for a ammo holder ( culling belt or belt pouch (?)...leather or canvas (?) , if pouch , open or with flap (?), etc.) ?
I am looking for a safari shirt that has shell loops sewed into the shirt and can’t find one anywhere. Shooting 470 NE

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg