AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
RMEF, QDMA, NWTF
Hunted
USA(AL, CO, KS, MS, MO, NE, SD, TX, WY) Soutb Africa (Free State, Limpopo)
quick question...I hope. We are flying delta to Johanaseburg. How do we need to secure our ammo in our checked bag? Clearly in a box similar to manufacturer where each cartridge is not touching. Should they go in a locked box or just in the bag? If in a locked box do we use TSA locks or something unique?

Guns will be in a separate airline approved case with non-TSA locks.

I put mine in a a pelican box with a cable lock that locked it to the inside frame of the checked bag that had TSA locks on it.
No problems.

I put mine in a a pelican box with a cable lock that locked it to the inside frame of the checked bag that had TSA locks on it.
No problems.
Great. Thank you.

Ammo should be in a separate, hard, lockable case from the firearms.

I used to use a small pelican case that could hold 2 boxes of 9mm ammo with a pad lock on it inside my soft check bag (also locked) back in the day when I traveled internationally with a handgun for a living..

These days I just use a medium suitcase sized pelican as my check bag and put my ammo in there in addition to everything else I need to check and just lock everything other than the rifle(s) in a single hard case..

The larger hard case weighs a lot more.. so you may find yourself limited on how much you can pack in there and still meet the weight restrictions.. but.. It gives me some satisfaction and a little more peace of mind knowing that all of my belongings are a little better protected from the baggage apes than when it was when I traveled with "soft" suitcases..

Ammo should be in a separate, hard, lockable case from the firearms.

I used to use a small pelican case that could hold 2 boxes of 9mm ammo with a pad lock on it inside my soft check bag (also locked) back in the day when I traveled internationally with a handgun for a living..

These days I just use a medium suitcase sized pelican as my check bag and put my ammo in there in addition to everything else I need to check and just lock everything other than the rifle(s) in a single hard case..

The larger hard case weighs a lot more.. so you may find yourself limited on how much you can pack in there and still meet the weight restrictions.. but.. It gives me some satisfaction and a little more peace of mind knowing that all of my belongings are a little better protected from the baggage apes than when it was when I traveled with "soft" suitcases..
Good idea. TSA or Non-TSA locks on the hard sides case?

I use non-TSA, "pro-series" (higher security) master pad locks.

I did what the others have said. Usually also stuff a few cleaning supplies into that box as it has room. You'll find out REAL quick it doesn't take much to add up to the 50 lb. weight limit. Stuff as much in your backpack as you can.

Said you're flying Delta, did you guys spring for economy comfort seats??

I did what the others have said. Usually also stuff a few cleaning supplies into that box as it has room. You'll find out REAL quick it doesn't take much to add up to the 50 lb. weight limit. Stuff as much in your backpack as you can.

Said you're flying Delta, did you guys spring for economy comfort seats??
Planning to pack as much as possible in a carry on.

No...we were too cheap. Hope we don't regret it.

By the way Heeler...saw your mug on the tube a few weeks ago. Good work man. What a great event. Keep up the good work.

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/ammo-case.24666/

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/ammo-case-locked.28660/

https://www.africahunting.com/threads/lockable-ammo-case.8648/

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/ammunition-box-for-south-africa.10499/#post-81066

http://www.africahunting.com/threads/packing-ammunition-in-a-separate-bag.12609/#post-103810

Here's a scenario for you.

Jump on Air Canada, (just because you have to, not because you want to).
Throw your ammo in its original boxes into your checked baggage and you are fine.

Arrive in South Africa via SAA and everything is still fine. (The rules for your luggage start with your original carrier, from my understanding)

Now you go to leave RSA and they want your ammo in its own little box, separate from your checked baggage and your firearm.
Now what?

Example:
First trip, the buddies put their ammo in little tin boxes, which are fine if they are inside your checked bags. Outside the checked bags, not so much.

Think little tin can bouncing down the conveyor belt and being bashed around all on its own arriving on the baggage carousel. It was an amazing sight. Just about beaten to pieces and about to come open.
This was safer??

Now, I just have a lockable case that fits all the ammo I will ever need.
It goes on the checked bag on the way there. On the way back, out on the belt on its own, they can throw it around all they like and no damage to the ammunition or the plane that I am riding in. :)

Pelican 1200 = 1210 grams
60 - 180 grain .300WM Rounds
80 - 130 Grain .270 Rounds
(Yeah, I know. Lots of Ammo.
I went for 7 weeks, give me a break)

Ammunition Weight: 4.02KG
Total Weight: 5.23 KG

Even had a note put on my airline file that I would be carrying that much ammo and it made the weight (Under 5KG)
Argued about interpretation, until I won.

Not the country, the carrier.

AIR CANADA:
Ammunition:

The firearm and the ammunition must not be packed in the same container.

Only shells and cartridges are accepted and must be carried in checked baggage. Gunpowder and gunpowder pellets are strictly prohibited.
Ammunition must be packed in a separate, secure and strong container made of wood or metal. The original fibreboard carton can also be used but it recommended that the carton be placed in a secondary package such as a resealable plastic container. To avoid shock movement, the properly packaged ammunition must then be placed inside a suitcase and cushioned with clothing.

SAA POLICY
Domestic (within and from the Republic of South Africa)
Departure (Inclusive of International departures)
Firearms may NOT be packed inside checked luggage and must therefore be packed in an appropriate lockable firearm
container or case, separate from checked luggage.
Ammunition must be separated from weapons and although permissible to be packed within checked baggage under aviation
regulation, SHOULD be packed as a separate piece of checked baggage in a secure lockable container or ammunition case.

No ammunition may be packed loosely in checked baggage, or within the same case as firearms.
We strongly recommend that ammunition be packed in lockable cases which can be handed

Are you flying out of Joberg to your hunt or is your PH picking you up there?

If flying out it is best that your ammo box has a handle of some kind on it. I made the mistake of not having a handle on mine when I flew to Port Elizabeth. The trip down was fine but coming back they asked us to remove the ammo and check it with our rifles. It took a little bit of figuring but I got my luggage tag onto my box with no handle. We then picked up our rifles and ammo boxes in Joberg and I then placed the ammo box back inside of my checked bag for the flight home.

One concern? I think it sounded like you were going to have the bullets in a 50 case?
I think they want them in their regular 20 boxes. I don’t think they checked mine but when they are put through X-ray the other cases would look strange.
Maybe someone else can tell you more.

One concern? I think it sounded like you were going to have the bullets in a 50 case?
I think they want them in their regular 20 boxes. I don’t think they checked mine but when they are put through X-ray the other cases would look strange.
Maybe someone else can tell you more.
I've got a small pelican style case that I will plan to put two 20-shot factory boxes in.

Last edited:
quick question...I hope. We are flying delta to Johanaseburg. How do we need to secure our ammo in our checked bag? Clearly in a box similar to manufacturer where each cartridge is not touching. Should they go in a locked box or just in the bag? If in a locked box do we use TSA locks or something unique?

Guns will be in a separate airline approved case with non-TSA locks.

I always put mine in a locked ammo box in original packaging inside my checked bag but not the gun case. Also the lock is a TSA lock.

I put my ammo into a lockable plastic "ammo" box that was a bit larger than what I needed for the ammo and filled it with a good first aid kit. I used a TSA lock and put a sign on the box stating it's contents and the fact that if opened must be relocked to comply with RSA's regulations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg