Alec Baldwin Movie Set Accident

If some of you can't distinguish the difference between pointing a firearm at somebody in real life and pointing a movie prop at someone on a movie set I don't know what to tell you. Using that logic every actor that ever pointed a real gun at someone while acting is guilty of a crime. If he had pointed the gun at any other time he'd be reckless and or negligent but that cannot possibly be true while acting on a movie set or stage.
I understand what you're trying to say, but I feel your concept is flawed.

A firearm is a firearm as long as it can shoot live ammunition. It never ceases to be a firearm just because it's used on a movie set, even if you want to call it a prop. It is not a replica, not a disabled gun, and most definitely not a toy.

It is not directly a crime just for pointing a gun at someone. So, no, not "every actor that ever pointed a real gun at someone while acting is guilty of a crime" no matter whose logic you are using. Context and actions matter relative to when using/pointing a gun becomes a crime.

In parallel to your position, a cop in the line of duty should have the right to pull their gun any time, with or without a reason. And even if that cop shoots someone accidentally (or without pulling the trigger, as Alec claimed was the case for him), the officer would be free of any crime because it was their job.

And most importantly - is Halyna Hutchins any less dead because it was an accident? Or because it happened on a movie set with a "prop" gun? Emphatically no. Alec Baldwin killed her due to his own negligence, possibly with additional negligence from others.

I think everyone can agree it was not an intentional shooting. And with that, very few are trying to argue it should be a high level murder charge. But it is a crime, there should be no doubt.

many years ago, working as a scene carpenter/stage hand I learned that actors are THE DUMBEST species of mammal on the planet. It doesn't matter what you tell them, what you show them, if they can screw it up they will.
I re-iterate, the shallow pockets will carry the weight. I'm betting on young miss Reed to do 2 years and Baldwin to skate.
I've got $3 to put out, anybody want a piece?

Let's see...........Trump gets indicted for whatever and Baldwin is still making movies and free.

Dave Halls, the assistant director on the New Mexico set of "Rust" where an accidental shooting in 2021 killed cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, received a suspended six-month jail sentence in his plea hearing Friday in New Mexico court.

There are several aspects of responsibility and they have been mentioned already.
If she directed him to point the gun directly at her could she have told it was pointed 6 inches to the side of her? In other words, only a close camera view could have denoted some angle in the gun.
In my opinion he didn't have to point it directly at the body of another person even if it had a blank in it.
Think of how many western scenes show a duel but pan back and forth such that when a gun goes off the other person doesn't even have to be there.

Tony Stewart may have hit the mad driver that walked out on the track trying to poke his finger in Stewarts face but do most people that do something stupid want to be responsible for it?
He was never, that I know of, held responsible legally but settled with the family. To my knowledge it never went to court and doubt a jury would have given the family a thing.

Both men were involved in the death of another person. That is not something easy to deal with no matter how it came to be.

There are several aspects of responsibility and they have been mentioned already.
If she directed him to point the gun directly at her could she have told it was pointed 6 inches to the side of her? In other words, only a close camera view could have denoted some angle in the gun.
In my opinion he didn't have to point it directly at the body of another person even if it had a blank in it.
Think of how many western scenes show a duel but pan back and forth such that when a gun goes off the other person doesn't even have to be there.

Tony Stewart may have hit the mad driver that walked out on the track trying to poke his finger in Stewarts face but do most people that do something stupid want to be responsible for it?
He was never, that I know of, held responsible legally but settled with the family. To my knowledge it never went to court and doubt a jury would have given the family a thing.

Both men were involved in the death of another person. That is not something easy to deal with no matter how it came to be.
As the person who was in control of the revolver he was responsible period! He should have checked to make sure that it wasn't loaded with live ammunition. Not pass the buck but check it yourself! To me only one person is to blame.

As the person who was in control of the revolver he was responsible period! He should have checked to make sure that it wasn't loaded with live ammunition. Not pass the buck but check it yourself! To me only one person is to blame.
If they had a union handler for the weapons I understand they hand the gun to the actor ready to use and take it back when the scene is complete. The union made a statement soon after the killing that their people were not involved in the production of Rust.
The question then would be what would happen if the actor opened the weapon and started checking it etc. Would that be contrary to protocol? Baldwin would know the answer to that.

I know what my responsibility is in gun handling but being around someone else with one is another thing.
At my gun club the other day three guys were there. They handled guns, casing them etc while people were down range. One in particular was a muzzle waver. He held them level at waist height and pivoted around pointing at everything. Of course he knew it wasn't loaded or just knows he isn't going to pull the trigger. These are dangerous people to be around.

I will say it again…..
It is outrageous that the celebrated Hollywood actors who rail against the USA’s 2nd Amendment = Right to Keep and Bear Arms (and often rail against the same USA in general, that made them super wealthy / famous), make their ridiculously high pay, via gun in hand / glorifying bloody murder, on the silver screen.

These mutts, especially reckless Alec Baldwin, have the nerve to rant and rave about legitimate gun owners, hunters, God-fearing, etc., being stupid, and so-forth.
It simply defies all reason.

Blaming anyone but Alec Baldwin for recklessly shooting someone in the face, when he did exactly that, is like blaming Henry Ford every time someone crashes their car.

Last edited:
I will say it again…..
It is outrageous that the celebrated Hollywood actors who rail against the USA’s 2nd Amendment = Right to Keep and Bear Arms (and often rail against the same USA in general, that made them super wealthy / famous), make their ridiculously high pay, via gun in hand / glorifying bloody murder, on the silver screen.

These mutts, especially reckless Alec Baldwin, have the nerve to rant and rave about legitimate gun owners, hunters, God-fearing, etc., being stupid, and so-forth.
It simply defies all reason.

Blaming anyone but Alec Baldwin for recklessly shooting someone in the face, when he did exactly that, is like blaming Henry Ford every time someone crashes their car.
Finally some common sense interjected!

Still say old Alec Baldwin walks. Two very different sets of unwritten laws here in the States.

You got your wealthy elite set of laws and then you have your peasant class set of laws. Not on the books, of course, but we all know how everything settles out in the end of these Hollywood-type cases.

“Laws for thee but not for me.” Sad but true. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Hate to say I told you so but……. I told you so…..
Not surprised at all that Alec Baldwin walked without any consequences. Please read earlier posts.

Only in America, if you are famous enough and can pay the money to the victim’s family or estate, can you kill another person, intentionally or unintentionally, and walk away without any trouble or punishment.

Latest and greatest ridiculous news here from the States. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.

Not surprised at all that Alec Baldwin walked without any consequences. Please read earlier posts.

Only in America, if you are famous enough and can pay the money to the victim’s family or estate, can you kill another person, intentionally or unintentionally, and walk away without any trouble or punishment.

Latest and greatest ridiculous news here from the States. Happy hunting, TheGrayRider.
Great minds as they say….

Lucky for Baldwin New Mexico is a heavy democrat state / blue and he’s a Democrat heavy hitter ($$$$$)

As a friend said after OJ got off, "What's the point of having $13million if you can't get away with killing your wife?"

It was a preventable tragedy. Firearm safety never takes a vacation. The forum was right, he walks, while another person no longer breathes or walks the earth. I would not walk across my street to see Baldwin or most any other actor like him!

Sad decision. I'm dumbfounded by the lack of responsibility the system placed on the shooter of a loaded gun that killed someone.

These same people want to restrict responsible gun owners.........

I'm sad for the family of the person killed most of all. It was criminal negligence at the least. My sympathies.

As for Baldwin. I don't care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross