African Axe

Russ16

AH legend
Joined
Nov 10, 2024
Messages
2,275
Reaction score
4,604
Location
Mid-Atlantic
Media
2
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Europe
1
Hunted
US (34 states), Canada, Mexico, Argentina, Azerbaijan, Romania, Scotland, Zimbabwe
Watching some of the videos on YouTube I often see the locals using very a very unique form of axe. Almost looks homemade except they are all very similar. The have a large knob at the end where the axe head is.

They look very cool and would be part of an interesting display. Great conversation piece if nothing else. Has anyone tried to buy one and bring it back? I know folks have brought back spears is there any barrier to bringing an axe back?

I see them using them to butcher elephants. Would be cool to buy one from the staff that had been used to butcher your own elephant.
 
I’ve got one. Blade made from a Land Rover leaf spring. I asked my PH about it when the boys in the truck got out to take care of a tree the elephants had pushed over the road. He offered it to me for no charge.
 
I’ve brought back several. The trackers are pretty glad to sell one for a few dollars and make a new one. Just make sure there is no bark on the axe.
 
I too have a couple. Yes, they are locally made and leaf springs are a common blade material of choice.
 
This axe was used to butcher my elephant. Now it hangs in my living room.



IMG_3384.jpg
 
This axe was used to butcher my elephant. Now it hangs in my living room.



View attachment 685299
Thats very cool.

Good to know you can bring them back. How long are they? Did you just fit it in your luggage somehow? I’m doing my first hunt for Buffalo next year I’ll have to make sure there is room in my luggage. I was planning on a fairly small bag.
 
I had mine packed in the crate with the trophies, no issues as long as it's declared on the paperwork. It was taken from a poacher in Zim. A small antipoaching donation was all it cost.
 
I had mine packed in the crate with the trophies, no issues as long as it's declared on the paperwork. It was taken from a poacher in Zim. A small antipoaching donation was all it cost.
I have done it but you are not supposed to put anything other than hunting trophies in your shipment.
 
I’ve got one. Blade made from a Land Rover leaf spring. I asked my PH about it when the boys in the truck got out to take care of a tree the elephants had pushed over the road. He offered it to me for no charge.
I have one also. I got it the same way in 1983. It's a treasured decoration in my "trophy room."
 
Yes different sizes and styles depending on the tribe.

The small one with the swept back head is a Shona axe and the straight ones are Tonga; the large dark one was used to butcher my tuskless, the others I bought off the trackers.
IMG_3730.jpeg


I popped the blades out and covered the sharp edges with cardboard and duct tape and put them in my duffle bag.
 
I have done it but you are not supposed to put anything other than hunting trophies in your shipment.
Ok, that is how I was told to do it. Next go round I'll inquire. Thank you
 
Must get the e ray boys all of a quiver :ROFLMAO: :A Big Hello:
 
Ok, that is how I was told to do it. Next go round I'll inquire. Thank you
Check with the customs broker on US side. If they give all clear it’s good, but to my understanding it’s only supposed to be hunting trophies.
 
Watching some of the videos on YouTube I often see the locals using very a very unique form of axe. Almost looks homemade except they are all very similar. The have a large knob at the end where the axe head is.

They look very cool and would be part of an interesting display. Great conversation piece if nothing else. Has anyone tried to buy one and bring it back? I know folks have brought back spears is there any barrier to bringing an axe back?

I see them using them to butcher elephants. Would be cool to buy one from the staff that had been used to butcher your own elephant.
The great late Lon Denny gave me mine last April before he passed. It is one of my most prized possessions in my trophy room
 
I brought one home and gave it to my son. Now I wish that I'd bought myself one. I will on the next trip.
 
Bought one on the side of the road between Hwange and Vic Falls years ago, hunting with Dalton in his 1st year as a PH. Gave $8 for it. Son bought two from trackers last year when we were hunting with Wayne.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,293
Messages
1,571,876
Members
169,457
Latest member
ElissaAsmu
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top