African Animal Nicknames

RIGBY

Sponsor
Since 2024
AH fanatic
Joined
Jul 16, 2024
Messages
740
Reaction score
2,741
Location
LONDON
Website
www.johnrigbyandco.com
Deals & offers
15
Media
37
Articles
33
Hunting reports
Africa
4
USA/Canada
1
Europe
2
It is common to hear the greater kudu called the ‘grey ghost,’ the cape buffalo referred to as the ‘black death,’ and the sable called the ‘prince of Africa’; however, until recently, I had never heard the hyena being referred to as the ‘purifier’.

What other African animal nicknames have you heard that may not be commonly known?
 
Not a nickname but my whole growing up life a wildebeest was always called a Gnu, but I haven't heard that name used in quite some time. Not sure when it fell out of favor.
 
Undertaker for hyaena/same for marabou stork
Narri for buffalo
Go-away bird
 
Dugga-Boy for Cape buffalo, but that’s pretty common.

I’ve heard a black mamba called a “two step snake” for it’s quick acting venom.
 
Dassies
Flatdogs
River Horse
Perhaps I’m being dense, but what animals are dassies and flatdogs? Is river horse a hippo?
 
Damn that biiiird......
Well, the Blacksmith plovers are not much help either, when trailing buffalo!

Now, add "Ferrari of the Veldt" for the red Hartebeest--those things can run! Saw a zebra just shagging it for all he was worth. The Hartebeest was cantering and just drifted past the zebra! That's when I first heard "Ferrari" from the PH, and later on some video.
I understand the Tsessebe can outrun the Hartebeest.
 
Last edited:
Always attacks....
 
Black Death - Cape Buffalo
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,257
Messages
1,569,951
Members
168,773
Latest member
DelilahHoc
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top