Africa Hunting and a Marlin .444!

Not too likely, but possible. My buddy's Browning BLR .30-06 froze up (couldn't move the bolt) once while elk hunting in single digits above 0 F. We figured out he had too much WD 40 on and in the action. Took it inside and cleaned the bolt and action and it worked fine. DON'T USE WD 40! I use Rem Lube and only a very light film on contact parts. Your better off running a rifle action dry in extremely cold weather. Off topic, but wanted to share an avoidable operator error that could cost someone a shot at game.

It really doesn't matter what you use to lube the bolt or mechanism up. If you use too much and it is cold you just may have a problem. Even bolt action rifles will have their firing pins be restrictive enough with enough oil on them that the cartridge won't fire when the trigger is pulled. It is best in cold climates to wipe everything down with a dry cloth. There will be enough lubrication left on the parts that you won't have to worry about wear.

But getting that coating of oil off is the main thing no matter what kind of oil you use.
Former hunting partner had his 270 fail to go bang on a pretty nice bull elk in -22° temps at 10k' just north of Gunnison, CO one year. Firing pin locked up in coagulated gun oil; and not that much of it. But at -22°, it doesn't take much.
Considering the number of rounds fired on a typical big game hunt, there is zero wear caused by making sure there is no oil, grease, or any other lube left in the bolt/action of a rifle. In hot, dusty conditions, or cold. I make sure mine are devoid of any sort of lube when hunting. Clean, but lube free.

@CoElkHunter
Elmer also liked his 35 Whelen loaded with 275 grainers. As I keep telling you grasshopper get rid of the little 338 and get a Whelen and load it properly. You WILL be surprised.
Bob

Hey I like the 338 Winchester !!!

I have read somewhere that the 35 Whelen is a damned adequate Impala rifle. Just above the 243 Win in killing effect. The 243 is ok for ewes, but for big Impala rams, the Whelen is supposed to really shine, if the distance is kept under 100 yards, and a spitzer type bullet is used.

I have read somewhere that the 35 Whelen is a damned adequate Impala rifle. Just above the 243 Win in killing effect. The 243 is ok for ewes, but for big Impala rams, the Whelen is supposed to really shine, if the distance is kept under 100 yards, and a spitzer type bullet is used.

Yeah but the 9.3x62 being proper just annihilates that 35 thing in everything....apart from the 243 being better for opening beer bottles with at longer distances.....

@TOBY458
Mate you are a funny man. Me thinks you should change your medication or stop smoking that funny green herb.
To mention that horrible little caliber and compare it to the mighty Whelen inothing more than pure blasphemy. I know you were fishing for a bite but I will note be drawn into silly statements like that.

Next time you are hunting may the belts fall off your big magnums and ruin your day. You are lucky I'm a nice person otherwise I may have condemned you to a fate worse than death. That being may all your hunting days be done with a 243 but I'm not that mean.
Bob

Yeah but the 9.3x62 being proper just annihilates that 35 thing in everything....apart from the 243 being better for opening beer bottles with at longer distances.....
@ Spike.t
Mate I think you have been hanging around @TOBY458 for to long and sharing his medication.
Bob

@Dr Ray
We won't hold that against you doc.
It's just the Whelen is a bit better.
Bob
You m at have to try a Sako in the Whelen

I’ve got enough calibers at the moment
Supposed to be going buff hunting Monday but have had to postpone until next year
My 416 will take care of problems !!

Sent from my iPhone using New Forum mobile app

@TOBY458
Here is a message from another Whelen fan
20210605_111930.jpg

I think that about sums up the 35s.
Another intelligent person
Bob

It's all about the bullet design, construction and diameter. With CEB bullets the 444 marlin for cape buffalo will kill better than standard bullets in 9.3 X 74 and nearly as well as the 450 X 400.

my 444 marlin is in a winchester timber carbine, i have killed large deer with it and would use it on bear. keeping ranges under 150 yards and under 100 would be better. i like 265 gr hornady at 2000 fps, but i would not use on DG in africa.

DSCN0207 (2).JPG
DSCN0208 (2).JPG
DSCN0209 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
It's all about the bullet design, construction and diameter. With CEB bullets the 444 marlin for cape buffalo will kill better than standard bullets in 9.3 X 74 and nearly as well as the 450 X 400.

If I do get a chance to hunt with my .444 Marlin, I won’t be using anything less than 300 gr Hard cast gas checked bullets, and no less velocities from 2000 - 2100 fps.

Hawk

i have several boxs of .430 dia 320 gr WLNGC lbt heat treated bullets that would be good, i don,t know how they would work in a lever action as they are a long bullet that may limite the powder space in the .444 case. in a modern single shot-double barrel they should be ok. loaded to the crimp groove the oal would be a little over 2.58", the bullet is just shy of a inch in lenth.

Last edited:
@CoElkHunter
Elmer also liked his 35 Whelen loaded with 275 grainers. As I keep telling you grasshopper get rid of the little 338 and get a Whelen and load it properly. You WILL be surprised.
Bob
Elmer might have shot a Whelen but he liked his 338’s too. Elmer started the wildcats, 333OKH based on the 30-06 case and the 334OKH based on the 300 H&H case. These evolved into the 338-06 and the 338 Win Mag when he couldn’t get .318 bullets, he used bullets from the 33 Winchester. Elmer liked big bullets in any cartridge. He also wore cowboy boots with tall heels and a ten gallon hat to look taller. Go figure.

Yes, there are a lot better cartridges for cape buffalo than the .444Marlin.
However, the 250 gr CEB Maximus at 2,500 fps would work.

A 250 gr bullet in that caliber has the SD of an ashtray - regardless of who makes it. I am sure inside 100 yards it would be awesome on pigs, but I personally wouldn't think of hunting a buffalo with it.

And I would much rather use one of my 9.3x74R's with a 286 gr SP and an SD of over .300 than a 250 gr from a .444 with a SD of less than 200.

Last edited:
I have shared this in other places on this site in the past month. I killed a 1300 mature cow with one shot (frontal) from a .45-70 at 40 yards using a 325 grain solid brass bullet traveling at about 1800 fps. It was down in a matter of seconds and traveled maybe 25 or 30 yards.

I don't know how much bigger/tougher a bull is, but my PH told me, unsolicited, that he feels confident that the outcome would have been the same with a bull. (a bull is on my list so that's probably why he said something)

Bringing this back to the OP's question about the .444, I think CE has .44 caliber options. If they have something similar that would work in a .444, I'd have no qualms in taking it.

Is a .45-70 or a .444 PERFECT for buffalo? Probably not. But if you go in with your eyes open as to the limitations (range, wait for the right shot, etc) it can work. Maybe I just got lucky. But my sample size of one sure made a huge impression on me.

Edit: Reading Red Leg's ashtray :LOL: analogy I would add that I was set in using a solid from my .45-70. I'd feel the same about a .444.

I have shared this in other places on this site in the past month. I killed a 1300 mature cow with one shot (frontal) from a .45-70 at 40 yards using a 325 grain solid brass bullet traveling at about 1800 fps. It was down in a matter of seconds and traveled maybe 25 or 30 yards.

I don't know how much bigger/tougher a bull is, but my PH told me, unsolicited, that he feels confident that the outcome would have been the same with a bull. (a bull is on my list so that's probably why he said something)

Bringing this back to the OP's question about the .444, I think CE has .44 caliber options. If they have something similar that would work in a .444, I'd have no qualms in taking it.

Is a .45-70 or a .444 PERFECT for buffalo? Probably not. But if you go in with your eyes open as to the limitations (range, wait for the right shot, etc) it can work. Maybe I just got lucky. But my sample size of one sure made a huge impression on me.

Edit: Reading Red Leg's ashtray :LOL: analogy I would add that I was set in using a solid from my .45-70. I'd feel the same about a .444.
At least you were using a bullet (however else it may have been constructed) of sufficient sectional density to have a chance to penetrate adequately at that velocity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsmaelMorg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg