Africa Hunting and a Marlin .444!

@hawkeyesatx
People ar looking more at sectional density than the actual projectiles.
The SD of all projectiles changes as soon as it starts to expand so a 9.3 with a 286gn soft point that expands to 12mm and retains 250 grains is going to have a craps SD.
a 444 tat expands to 13 mm and retains 250 of its 280 grains is in the same boat.
To me to much importance is placed on SD and not enough on bullet construction.
It's the same as BC I'm not shooting at 600 yards so a 0.7 bc is no use to me hunting at 300 yards, a 0.3 is good enough.
People read to much into SDs and BCs for every day hunting. Yes they are a guide but not the be all and end all.
Bob

I fully agree with you there Bob!

What else should be accounted for is the frontal area of a bullet, plus the nose shape of the bullet.

A .432 bullet in itself displaces a lot of tissue and bodily fluids.

Also, if that same bullet has a round nose flat tip, that flat tip will expand slightly, but also help with displacing tissue and create more hydrostatic shock as it goes through blood, muscle, internal organs, and bone.

Has anyone on here heard and witnessed what one of those round nose flat tip bullets can do?

Imagine that you just pulled the trigger, and during recoil you hear this amazingly huge SLAP, along with the WHUMP of a typical spitzer bullet.
Then when you gut the animal, all that comes out where the lungs and heart is supposed to be is hamburger meat and pulp.

There are things that happen beyond comprehension as to what a bullet does, and us trying to come up with numbers on how effective one is only the base of what we know, not all.

Hawk

I thought this was funny. Bored and cruising around on the internet I found this and immediately thought of this thread. This (I'm sure) well vetted and healthily priced cartridge board, should lay all of your doubts to rest. :LOL: J/k

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 9.09.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-24 at 9.09.04 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 29

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrittGibb4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross