Advise on semi auto shotgun

Hi, Marco.
I don't know if this can be considered as advice, but we have an MP-155, "Murka", produced in Izhevsk. It can be chambered for 76 and 89 mm, with barrels of different lengths. According to the manufacturer, it can work with shot weights from 24 to 66 grams. There is no rifled barrel, but there are replaceable rifled chokes up to 140 mm long. Those who use them are generally satisfied.
I have an earlier version, the MP-153, from a batch destined for the United States.

20210301_111313-2.jpg

But there was another aggravation of freedom of trade, the gun remained with us, and I bought it with a solid discount and some doubts (the 89 mm chamber is not particularly popular with us, because we do not have these stupid things with iron shot). It turned out that it shoots both 70 mm and 76 mm casings without any problems.
However, a couple of weeks ago there were delays at Sporting when shooting with 28-gramm. Perhaps it was necessary to adequately lubricate, or simply the combustion of gunpowder was not very active due to the low temperature - it was about -25 degrees.C. I saw that there was a flame nozzle coming out of the shell casing, which is a sign of incomplete combustion.
These competitions looked like this:
20210221_113419.jpg

The MP-155 has a Weaver bar, you can put a collimator or optics, and this, in my opinion, is more important for bullet shooting than a rifled 12-gauge barrel.

Last edited:
it may be for lefties too

7da681affce9f04c54b8e782e100f675.jpg
cadc9316f038b36c4ef4e42411e1082b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The Benelli Super Eagle is an amazing shotgun. Easy to breakdown and clean, easy handling, shoulders well, lightweight and always goes bang, bang, bang...

Another vote for the Benelli SBE.

I have a SBE2 and love it.
It kicks like a mule with Turkey loads, but how many of those do you shoot a year...
For actual hunting (not just the clays range) it's the best shotgun I've owned.

Whatever you get, take it to the pattern board and see where it shoots. Adjust accordingly if not already about 60%/40% or at least 50/50. Some factory stocks are somewhat adjustable, so you might get lucky.

Everything tends to shoot a low, out of the box for me. Having one that shoots where you look is a joy!

Whatever you get, take it to the pattern board and see where it shoots. Adjust accordingly if not already about 60%/40% or at least 50/50. Some factory stocks are somewhat adjustable, so you might get lucky.

Everything tends to shoot a low, out of the box for me. Having one that shoots where you look is a joy!

Very good advice. My ugly 870 express shoots 80-90+ percent patterns at 30 yds with steel at point of aim with the factory mod choke and a variety of ammo. It was much prettier after finding out it outshoots my browning.

One more thing on the SBE...the weight.
Ready to (Turkey) hunt it weighs 3620 grams (7 lbs 14 oz).
That's with a 26" barrel, extended choke, sling, ammo, Picitinny rail & reflex sight.
I take off the Picitinny rail and reflex sight for anything other than Turkey.
Drops the weight to 3300 grams (7 lbs 4 oz).
I can carry that thing all day hunting without a problem.
From Dove to Deer, this shotgun will do it all.

We have quite a few fans of Benelli, despite the price (new Benelli from $ 2000, and MR from $ 400). In general, European gunsmiths are not exactly focused on the Russian market, but they have it in mind - there are still a lot of hunters. And some models of Benelli, as well as Turkish guns, have proven themselves quite well (I, however, have only seen Turkish guns, but have not held them in my hands).
I will quote the opinion of my friend: "My opinion if you take Benelli with a head for hunting is either M2 or Montefeltro. And if you still find the M2 without a comfortec pack, like Montefeltro synthetic, then this is the perfect gun for hunting. Well, if you need to wave a pipiskoy in front of the men, then of course new models." And the "Black Eagle", I understand, is exactly what M2 is, only with a Weaver and some other useful little things. Which is not bad if you need bullet shooting. After all, it happens that the bullet hits a little to the side, the collimator is easy to correct, but without a collimator it is not easy, only through the manufacturer.
I only doubt the current trend towards lightening guns. The law of conservation of momentum has not been abolished, and the lighter the gun, the stronger the mule.

The law of conservation of momentum has not been abolished, and the lighter the gun, the stronger the mule.
Very true, the laws of Physics still apply.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Most firearms are carried more than they are shot.
So I will take the action of carrying a lighter firearm.
Knowing I will pay the price in recoil for the equal and opposite reaction.

Everyone has their own tolerance level for recoil.
But I also believe that with proper practice and technique, a person can lighten a firearm and still fire it with confidence and accuracy.

I have always been a great fan of the Remington 1100 ,i have one it has 2 barrels . A skeet barrel for skeet and brenecks . A half choke for rough shooting.
MarkCZ

I have always been a great fan of the Remington 1100 ,i have one it has 2 barrels . A skeet barrel for skeet and brenecks . A half choke for rough shooting.
MarkCZ
That's not a bad idea.

I keep wondering about a Semi-Auto that could do both. I have an Auto 5 but only with the skeet barrel.

Someone mentioned Turkish guns. I have a CZ 1012 12ga. It's an inertia gun, runs like a top with any ammo, and comes with 5 extended chokes. Mine is the All Terrain version. Factory Cerakote with a wood stock. They also make traditional blued versions and camo versions. I also own an A400. I much prefer the CZ. It's lighter, less finicky about ammo, more durable, requires less maintenance and was less than half the cost of the Beretta. Before I bought the CZ I looked at all the current popular semiauto hunting shotguns. Beretta, Benelli, Winchester, Browning, Franchi and Remington. IMO the CZ checked all the boxes and was a bargain to boot. The Browning Silver Hunter was a close second but it was 50% more expensive than the CZ. Frankly, I don't know how CZ builds this good a gun at this price point. Highly recommend.

Benelli Super Black Eagle

I am a Beretta fan.

Since 1990 I guide and outfit for goose migrations so I constantly am rather abusive to my guns. Everyone has their own favorites but reliability is paramount. In the auto loading category my personal fav is a beretta x400. Extender tube shooting 3 inch heavy shot and heavy metal number 2 or 3. 28 inch barrel. Best to all

Beretta's are pretty hard to beat if they fit you (or are made to fit). For a soft shooting 12 Ga gas gun for clays, my personal fav is the Beretta 391 - no longer made and back then it needed a carrier from the earlier 390 to be 100% reliable. It's a shame Beretta let the carrier issue put a bad light on the otherwise near perfect 391.

I still have a my Benelli M1S90 from way back. Uber reliable with slugs, buck and shot. Shot the dickens out of it in the 3-Gun games. With a custom ghost ring sight on the rear of the receiver it is quick and accurate (on static targets of course, not flyers).

I did some hunting with a Super Black Eagle and found it to be a solid performer, but I've never been a fan of the long receivers needed for 3.5" loads. For a semi-auto, I think I would prefer a 3" chamber and pass on throwing the maximum amount of shot. Just my $.02.

I have hunted with Remington semiautomatic shotguns for 4 decades, mostly my 1100 which has never let me down. I hunted a Remington Versamax for 3 years, softest shooting shotgun I have ever fired, even with 3.5" goose loads, but it is a bit heavy, and feels a bit bulky, I will be passing it on to my son. Last year I purchased a new Benelli Super Black Eagle 3, I absolutely love it, and last season I used it for doves, ducks, turkey, and upland game. My over/unders, and the 28ga SxS I often hunt quail with stayed in the safe. It is a joy to carry, took a few outings with the clay pigeons to get used to the way it patterned, about 70/30ish, but now it is my go to for everything gun, plain black finish, but I believe in it, and I know that in some 1500 shells since last August, it has not even hiccuped, and it is such a breeze to clean. Just my 3 cents.

Cosmi if you have $30,000 to spend. Benelli if you have $1200-2800 to spend.

I personally like Benelli shotguns, but because they are not gas operated they have a bit more recoil.

M2 is a good gun, they are about $1200.

I’m primarily an o/U shooter and dated on semi’s as I’ve found what works for me and stick with it.

Beretta 303 and 390’s are hard to beat. Much more reliable than 391’s.

Remington 1100’s and 11-87’s are a joy to shoot but they sell parts kits for a reason. If u are a high volume shooter you will learn how to change seals and followers.

Stay away from franchi recoil operated guns. Hardest kicking shotguns I’ve ever seen.

I once had a browning double automatic, the twelvette. That is a sweet shooting little gun but limited to two shots.

I’m primarily an o/U shooter and dated on semi’s as I’ve found what works for me and stick with it.

Beretta 303 and 390’s are hard to beat. Much more reliable than 391’s.

Remington 1100’s and 11-87’s are a joy to shoot but they sell parts kits for a reason. If u are a high volume shooter you will learn how to change seals and followers.

Stay away from franchi recoil operated guns. Hardest kicking shotguns I’ve ever seen.

I once had a browning double automatic, the twelvette. That is a sweet shooting little gun but limited to two shots.
I do like the look of the Benelli Vinci though, even if it is recoil operated.

Scrummy

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamiroMcGu

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber
@DERIAN KOEKEMOER SAFARIS is proud to say that we are members of PHASA.
WhatsApp Image 2024-03-09 at 08.11.01_9d17b32f.jpg