Advice on double rifle for wild hogs

9.3x74R
Or try find a 45-70 Pedersoli double hammer job

If you can get hold of a Ruger Red Label or Gold Label, you could have it turned into a double rifle for a whole lot less than the vast majority of factory or custom double rifles.

Calibers like the 45/70, 9.3X74R and 405 Winchester are three of the most popular cartridges in these conversions.

Round Ball

If you can get hold of a Ruger Red Label or Gold Label, you could have it turned into a double rifle for a whole lot less than the vast majority of factory or custom double rifles.

Calibers like the 45/70, 9.3X74R and 405 Winchester are three of the most popular cartridges in these conversions.

Round Ball
By a competent gunsmith/maker? Don't think so.

Round Ball
@Round Ball
Didn't ruger market them with 20 gauge and 45-70 or 9.3x74 as a matched pair at one stage.
Bob

@Round Ball
Didn't ruger market them with 20 gauge and 45-70 or 9.3x74 as a matched pair at one stage.
Bob
Bob,

I am not aware of Ruger having done that, but anything is possible I guess.

Me personally, I latched onto one of their 12 ga. Gold Labels and had to send it back to the factory two different times to get it to function like what it was supposed to. Now, after it's transformation, I will not part with it for no amount of money!

Round Ball

Round Ball

Who can do the conversion?

There are several competent gun makers in the US and one of them wrote the book on such conversions. http://www.bundukipublishing.com/doublerifle.htm
Ellis is now working on the third version of his book, I have V2 and found it interesting and educational - I am just a gun nut, not a gun smith or gun maker.
There are also at least two excellent gunmakers in East Texas and one up in Oklahoma. Lord knows how many there in the whole country.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 12.08.42 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 12.08.42 PM.png
    797 KB · Views: 62
"223 or 243 because the bullet failed to get thru the fighting pads."
Thank you for bringing this up.
I have been hearing about "fighting pads" for years and have never seen such that can resist even a .243 or .308. The issue may be the bullets being used, as I have shot feral hogs from their tails to their nose and never seen fighting pads. When I asked my game processor to show some to me , it was nothing that would slow down a good bullet at a proper angle.
I saw a picture of a 1200 pound Russian Boar taken from a half track and it was shot with a military rifle, not a cannon.
Has anyone else had bullets bounce off "fighting pads" If so, please explain how that works.

everyone:

i could use some advice ---- one of the relatively crazy things I do is hubt wild hogs in southern florida --- this is done usually over dogs from a contaption known as a swamp buggy---so it involves rapid target aquistion, multiple people and dogs....sometimes shooting from the ground (my favorite ) --- in this situation, a break open gun that can be closed at the last minute and has fast bewteen the hands balance has great appeal (I should add I am totally addicted to side-by-side shotguns). Now , the perfect caliber for this is a 45-70 and I have successfully used a lever action in that caliber but it makes me nervous----now, no doubt I could have a custon 45-70 double rifle made but i wonder if I should get a "normal" double rifle, like a 470 NE and use appropriately modified loads ? -- thats really my question, would 470 NE solids at some slightly reduced velocity do reasonable damage to a 150-200 lb hog and not be totally destructive---I really like to eat thrm
That sounds like fun.
Few 45-70 Baikal doubles on GB right now.
That does not! I bet it hurts both ends

my Baikal 12 gauge has nasty sharp kick
Agree. Another scenario which is very common in Europe, is a hunt for driven boar. Again these are big animals, typically on the run offering fleeting shots that need to do decisive damage when they hit. The 9.3x74R was created with those requirements in mind.
That sounds like fun, Driven Boar would be a great experience I think.

It's a thing,they have tough , Grissle like membrane under the skin on the shoulder.

I have shot pigs withvarioise carriages up to .300wm and headshot pigs with a .223 and they were dead right there. Only movement was down.

I shot a pig in the shoulder at 30 odd metres, the168gn Zmax projectile from my .308 smashed up on impact and left like a large shallow flesh wound on shoulder shield. O think the projectile was to fragile for the speed at the distance. A head shot penetrated and killed it.
I shot a pig half an hour earlier with the same at >100metres, I believe as the bullet had slowed a little and that first pig was a head shot the bullet penetrated and dropped it cold.

When you get the chance curve up a big Wild hog yourself and you will find the shoulder shield is quite tough.

I have been doing them for the past 30 years.

Depending on action type, a good SxS 12 ga. can be turned into a 45/70 double rifle.

Round Ball
Is that .45-70 only?

Is it to do with working pressures or can other cartridges commonly chambered in a doubles be done?

Sabatti makes a great double in 45-70. It’s relatively inexpensive and is a great gun. Contact IFG or there is probably several new ones on gun broker. It’s a pretty popular gun.

Is that .45-70 only?

Is it to do with working pressures or can other cartridges commonly chambered in a doubles be done?
Yes.

Yes, it has to do with the working pressure limits.

I use to do these in the 9.3X74R, 444 Marlin, 30-30 and others, but found it much easier and simpler to stick with just one cartridge. This way, brass, bullets, barrels, and all gun work was greatly simplified.

From a cost standpoint, a double rifle from Baikal was a whole LOT less expensive than building one.

Round Ball

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg