Advice on double rifle for wild hogs

Pete Council

Reaction score
Member of
Ducks unlimted, pheasants unlimited, Bonefish and tarpon trust, IFFF, CGC,
everyone:

i could use some advice ---- one of the relatively crazy things I do is hubt wild hogs in southern florida --- this is done usually over dogs from a contaption known as a swamp buggy---so it involves rapid target aquistion, multiple people and dogs....sometimes shooting from the ground (my favorite ) --- in this situation, a break open gun that can be closed at the last minute and has fast bewteen the hands balance has great appeal (I should add I am totally addicted to side-by-side shotguns). Now , the perfect caliber for this is a 45-70 and I have successfully used a lever action in that caliber but it makes me nervous----now, no doubt I could have a custon 45-70 double rifle made but i wonder if I should get a "normal" double rifle, like a 470 NE and use appropriately modified loads ? -- thats really my question, would 470 NE solids at some slightly reduced velocity do reasonable damage to a 150-200 lb hog and not be totally destructive---I really like to eat thrm

If you are buying a rifle, buy a 9.3x74R, 30 Blaser, 7x65R, 8x75R, 8x57JRS, 8.5x63R Reb or another rimmed small bore double rifle caliber.

All of these are available in German double rifles from Merkel, Heym, Blaser, Krieghoff, or an Italian, Belgian or Spanish double rifle manufacture like Chapuis, Arrietta, AYA, Sabatti, and so on.

I used my 470NE for hogs but was loading with the intent of increasing expansion. With normal full loads in the 470NE neither the softs or solids are noted for rapid expansion and I doubt they would be very destructive although I did not try full up loads. One load was was a 480 pistol bullets and 5744 powder. That load regulated but shot low. Not a problem as I have a RMR sight on the rifle and just readjusted it. I looked but cannot find the load but it was the heaviest 480 hollow point jacketed pistol bullet at the time (325gr?) and 42gr of 5744 if I remember correctly. It was more than adequate for hogs.

Another option would be 75% "rule" using Hawk bullets in the 350/400gr range with the normal full load powder charge. With a little tinkering you should be able to bet a load that regulates and with the Hawk bullets you can pick the jacket thickness to get the expansion you desire.

A 45-70 of your choice will kill any hog there is. There is an vast array of bullet choices in factory ammo and you can handload also. Even rather light 300 grain loads will take most hogs you will come across.
55185_600x400.jpg

My Beretta 45-70 with 26 barrels:
54679_600x400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
everyone:

i could use some advice ---- one of the relatively crazy things I do is hubt wild hogs in southern florida --- this is done usually over dogs from a contaption known as a swamp buggy---so it involves rapid target aquistion, multiple people and dogs....sometimes shooting from the ground (my favorite ) --- in this situation, a break open gun that can be closed at the last minute and has fast bewteen the hands balance has great appeal (I should add I am totally addicted to side-by-side shotguns). Now , the perfect caliber for this is a 45-70 and I have successfully used a lever action in that caliber but it makes me nervous----now, no doubt I could have a custon 45-70 double rifle made but i wonder if I should get a "normal" double rifle, like a 470 NE and use appropriately modified loads ? -- thats really my question, would 470 NE solids at some slightly reduced velocity do reasonable damage to a 150-200 lb hog and not be totally destructive---I really like to eat them
Using a 470NE on a hog would be swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. If you have good holding/bailing dogs, take the pigs with a knife. Some good pig-sticking videos on youtube from New Zealand and Australia. No meat damage this way (except for ears) and it's heaps more fun. I think using large calibers around dogs is downright dangerous. Kiwis sometimes carry a short-barreled rifle when a big boar can't be approached, 30-30 or .303 are popular.

If you are buying a rifle, buy a 9.3x74R, 30 Blaser, 7x65R, 8x75R, 8x57JRS, 8.5x63R Reb or another rimmed small bore double rifle caliber.

All of these are available in German double rifles from Merkel, Heym, Blaser, Krieghoff, or an Italian, Belgian or Spanish double rifle manufacture like Chapuis, Arrietta, AYA, Sabatti, and so on.

Also, once you go above 9.3x74R the price of the double rifle increases as well.

I use a 500ne on any pig I can get under 100yds.
Use a good solid , it wont hurt the meat too bad.
That is a curious suggestion for hogs - particularly if dogs are involved. A 9.3x74R is ideal for what you suggest. They were created for wild boar and red stag in Europe and they can be found for half the cost of traditional DG double.

That is a curious suggestion for hogs - particularly if dogs are involved. A 9.3x74R is ideal for what you suggest. They were created for wild boar and red stag in Europe and they can be found for half the cost of traditional DG double.
I have only only hunted hogs once in florida. But with the swamp land and gators. I never like the hog to run too far.
Here in arizona, there is no dogs involved. But alot of fenced farmland. I like to drop it quickly. Where I live a 100 yard sprint before death, might put the pig on private property or worse ( a canal of running water.)
I have used a 30-30, 30-06,308 and a 44mag pistol. But seems they are too tough for me ! Even a great shot, and it runs off like comet. The 500ne is the only rifle i have used, that makes it a short track.

I have only only hunted hogs once in florida. But with the swamp land and gators. I never like the hog to run too far.
Here in arizona, there is no dogs involved. But alot of fenced farmland. I like to drop it quickly. Where I live a 100 yard sprint before death, might put the pig on private property or worse ( a canal of running water.)
I have used a 30-30, 30-06,308 and a 44mag pistol. But seems they are too tough for me ! Even a great shot, and it runs off like comet. The 500ne is the only rifle i have used, that makes it a short track.
Really? - I can't imagine a .500 NE being the caliber of choice for any feral pig that has ever walked the earth since the Pleistocene. Maybe Arizona is different. We have a few pigs around here in Texas, and a 70gr 5.56 is typically pretty lethal - regardless of the "sprint before death."

Really? - I can't imagine a .500 NE being the caliber of choice for any feral pig that has ever walked the earth since the Pleistocene. Maybe Arizona is different. We have a few pigs around here in Texas, and a 70gr 5.56 is typically pretty lethal - regardless of the "sprint before death."
Ya. My son has a 5.56. He has a lot of luck with it. But more fun for him than anythong else. He does have 30rds to get the job done quickly, vs my 2. Lol

My last 4 hogs were all head shots and all one shot kills with no damage to edible meat.
Not bragging, but pointing out that bullet placement is still very important.

I’ll second the 9.3x74r. Gizmo had a Sabatti I got to play with at the Rockin-G-Ranch. Nice weight and balance to swing and point easily. Much lighter to carry around than a big bore.

F7E23E75-BB56-484A-B330-C77DC5D37660.jpeg
I, too, am baffled by these calibers for wild hogs. I suppose the hogs in Alabama must be different. My 9 year old daughter dropped this one with her .243 at 150 yards on video. We have killed countless others with similar calibers as well and I don’t recall ever losing one we tried to find.
Now I understand the “use enough gun” principle and agree that shooting hogs with such big bores would be an awful lot of fun, but I must confess that I am left scratching my head a bit.

View attachment 395245I, too, am baffled by these calibers for wild hogs. I suppose the hogs in Alabama must be different. My 9 year old daughter dropped this one with her .243 at 150 yards on video. We have killed countless others with similar calibers as well and I don’t recall ever losing one we tried to find.
Now I understand the “use enough gun” principle and agree that shooting hogs with such big bores would be an awful lot of fun, but I must confess that I am left scratching my head a bit.
My brother has used his 22 mag to take a lot of hogs. I believe its the smallest ive seen to do it.
For a butcher hog, I use a 22lr. Works great close up. Not sure if it would with distance.

I, too, am baffled by these calibers for wild hogs. I suppose the hogs in Alabama must be different. My 9 year old daughter dropped this one with her .243 at 150 yards on video. We have killed countless others with similar calibers as well and I don’t recall ever losing one we tried to find.

You make a good point and with the proper setup (bait, in a stand, etc) any suitable deer cartridge kills hogs just fine.

I can think of situations where I wouldn't use a .243 though. Spot and stalk thru the brush, drives, etc. where you could get raking and texas heart shots - in those cases I'd much rather the 9.3x74r and it's peers that are capable of much deeper penetration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross