Advice for loading 7x57 & 6.5x55

Here is a photo of y Carl Gustav 6.5x55 sporterized and barrel cut down to 23"
Gives me around 1/2 MOA accuracy all day long as long as barrel is not too hot max 3 shots to group.

View attachment 404448

That’s a beautiful rifle!
Where did you get the spotter stock?
I may have a line on another Carl Gustaf, but this one someone cut the military stock down.
If I get it, I would want to change the stock for something like yours.

Hawk

Hawk, That's a nice and unusual Featherweight as not many of them, mine included, have iron sights. I have a friend who has a 6.5x55 with the irons.

I learn something new every day.

I was not aware that the M70’s in 7x57, or 6.5x55 didn’t have iron sights, usually.
I’m glad mine does, just in case something might go wrong with my scope.

Hawk

Hawkeyesatx, check out the following. Boyd's Gunstocks makes what amounts to almost a drop-in aftermarket stock for the Swedish Mauser. You can get a number of different styles and either walnut or a laminated version with optional LOP(s). https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/
I got the laminated "thumb-hole" version to put on my "Grandkid's" gun.

Hawkeyesatx, check out the following. Boyd's Gunstocks makes what amounts to almost a drop-in aftermarket stock for the Swedish Mauser. You can get a number of different styles and either walnut or a laminated version with optional LOP(s). https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/
I got the laminated "thumb-hole" version to put on my "Grandkid's" gun.

Thank you very much for the advice!
I am certainly going to look at Boyd’s.

Hawk

That’s a beautiful rifle!
Where did you get the spotter stock?
I may have a line on another Carl Gustaf, but this one someone cut the military stock down.
If I get it, I would want to change the stock for something like yours.

Hawk
Hawk,

I bought the rifle second hand the previous owner got it sporterized by a apprentice gunsmith who spend good time with it.

Ok you guys!
I just won this on auction from GunBroker!
She’s a Husqvarna sporterized M38! Her bluing is almost worn off, but she seems to have been well taken care of in her lifetime!
I hope y’all like her as much as I do!
It has a 23.5 inch barrel, and it is the first sporter Swedish Mauser I’ve ever owned!
Enough with the jabbering, I’ll put the pic in now!

Hawk

IMG_1160.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone tried loading Norma 203B for the 7X57? I have a couple pounds of it and lots of 140 grain Nosler Partitions and Accubonds. Looks like ut might be a great powder for the 7mm.

Has anyone tried loading Norma 203B for the 7X57? I have a couple pounds of it and lots of 140 grain Nosler Partitions and Accubonds. Looks like ut might be a great powder for the 7mm.
@Nevada Mike
If you can't find any load data for 203B I can check load from a disc for you.
Bob

h Bob - I did find one load in P Van der Walt's African Medium Game Cartridges that cites the Norma manual no.1 (2004):

I assume Norma brass... no primer specified, 44.7 gr. N203B, 140 grain bullet (not specified) for 2890 fps from a 24" barrel. Seems fast.

I also have a bunch of VN-150, which Nosler cites - 43.5 gr. produces 2779 fps with a 140 grain bullet from a 22" barrel. Also seems fast?

h Bob - I did find one load in P Van der Walt's African Medium Game Cartridges that cites the Norma manual no.1 (2004):

I assume Norma brass... no primer specified, 44.7 gr. N203B, 140 grain bullet (not specified) for 2890 fps from a 24" barrel. Seems fast.

I also have a bunch of VN-150, which Nosler cites - 43.5 gr. produces 2779 fps with a 140 grain bullet from a 22" barrel. Also seems fast?
@Nevada Mike
If my memory serves me correctly CCI Dominian used to have a factory load for the 7x57 and a 140 grain soft point @2,800 fps so no your velocity is not over the top.
Bob

Thanks, Bob. The loading data for the 7X57 is all over the lot so it is hard to sort the rat sh!t from the pepper. Will report back when I have something to report.

Mike

Except in the U.S., the grand old 7x57 is loaded to it's true potential. As with any powder, start low and work up using a chrono watching for over pressure signs. I haven't used either powder you mention but, I've found the 7x57 is not picky as to which powders produces accuracy.

Quick Load says

Max. load for 140 gr. Nosler AB is 45 gr Norma 203B in 24" barrel gives 878 m/s or 2881 fps
COAL is 78 mm/3,071"

Max. load for 140 gr. Nosler PART is 46 gr Norma 203B in 24" barrel gives 882 m/s or 2893 fps
COAL is 78 mm/3,071"

Steen - - Thank you for the data.

Thanks, Bob. The loading data for the 7X57 is all over the lot so it is hard to sort the rat sh!t from the pepper. Will report back when I have something to report.

Mike
@Nevada Mike
It's easy to sort the 2. Ratshit should be bigger than pepper and I assume it would taste vastly different
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob

@Nevada Mike
It's easy to sort the 2. Ratshit should be bigger than pepper and I assume it would taste vastly different
Ha ha ha ha ha ha
Bob
Bob - thanks for the specific data, but I assume that there may be other methods to differentiate? Texture, color, weight per piece, maybe a water test to see is the shit floats and the pepper does not? Further research is needed... i'll apply for a grant...

Bob - thanks for the specific data, but I assume that there may be other methods to differentiate? Texture, color, weight per piece, maybe a water test to see is the shit floats and the pepper does not? Further research is needed... i'll apply for a grant...
@Nevada Mike
Pepper floats as well. Maybe that grant will help to definitively show the best way to differentiate betwixt the two.
Let me know what your research shows please. Australia is having a mouse plague at the moment maybe you could include that in your parameters as well.
Bob

Hi Hawk

The 7x57 I have no experience with, but the 6,5x55 SE I have been loading for the last 15+ years.
Powder to go for in the 140 gr bullet range is a slow burning type.
As I´m living in Denmark the easiest powders to get is european, so I´m not familiar with US types of powder.
Norma MRP
Rhino 22, 23 (produced by Norma)
Vihtavouri N160, N560
RS 70

I use:
Norma brass
Norma MRP 48-49 gr. gives good results in my Sako rifles and is safe. OAL is 80 mm 3,15"
I did a load test for some years ago with my old rebuild Schultz and Larsen target rifle.
4 different bullets all in 139-140 gr. range. Hornady SST and Interlock and Nosler Partition and AB
Same powder charge 48 gr. MRP OAL 80 mm. group of 20 bullets 5 each was less than 40 mm. at 100m.

Your rifle is a good strong CG M38 so look for european loaddata forget about weak US loads developed for old Krag Jorgensen rifles.

A friend of mine had a rebuild CG rifle I was loading for, it loved Norma 156 gr Alaska bullets and Hornady 160 gr. RN
These Rebuild Swedish military rifles was sold to hunters in the thousands here in Denmark in the past and there is still a lot of them out there.
New Monte Carlo style hunting stock and barrel shortened.

Good luck with your nice CG M38 the 6,5x55 SE is one of the most versatile hunting rounds ever made.

Steen
In 6,5x55 I also use 48,0 grs Norma MRP behind a 140 grs bullet such as Nosler Accubond, Rhino Solid schank.
With Vihtavuori N-160 powder I use 45,5 grs behind the same bullet, but a good advice is to start 1-2 grs lower and work up the load until you find the perfect load for your rifle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graciehayward01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg