A young guy getting ready for first safari

Joe P

AH member
Reaction score
Hunted
SA, NA
Hi all! I've been lurking on the forums for some time now as we looked at doing a safari in 2017 but it fell through (we were late coming into the game so no surprise). This worked out much better as I would not have as much time to prepare or raise as much money.
My good friend has been already 3 times and will be going with me on this one. Although I haven't been hunting my entire life I did grow up in a family that shoots often. When I moved to Kansas for work and met my friend he gave me the bug. I decided to go on safari for several reasons, one is that I want to go with my good friend and not sure how many more he has in him but he definitely has this one. Another is that I have the attitude that money comes and goes but this experience will be something I can always look back on. The last one is that as I get older I want to know that I have done everything I wanted and when my time comes I don't regret it. I am grateful to be able to do this at the age of 33 while I still have good health to get after it. The flights are booked and down payment made for late September to go to SA!

I got a very good deal on a "used" 300 Weatherby magnum Mark V. I bet the previous owner had shot it once or twice, it never even had a scope mounted on it. After we cleaned the barrel it looked brand new. I was a little nervous about using a Mark v given some don't shoot well and the concept of a free-bore that the bullet has to jump just seems like a poor design in terms of accuracy.
However, with hand loads we got it pretty dialed in recently and I feel happy about it. Now my biggest worry is getting enough shooting time with it. It has been 95+ degrees here so I don't get many rounds before I have to stop and let it cool, if I can even get out. Plus shooting off the bench to dial it in is not fun after about 6 rounds. I will step up my effort soon.
I started with a Vortex HD LH and although we got it dialed and it has taken the recoil so far I couldn't bring myself to trust it (plus it had too much parallax for my liking). So I just purchased a Leupold VX-5 HD and Talley rings. I think that will be a step up.

Well, I will leave it at that for now. Thank you all for contributing to this site to help newbs like me.

Cheers!
Joe

Welcome to AH Joe! Nice intro... You're in for a treat in September!

Welcome aboard!

Enjoy the prep time leading up to September! We look forward to a hunt report and pics

Hi Joe, welcome to AH !

Memories are the only things you can take with you. Make as many as you can. Good luck on your safari and let us hear how it went.

Buy some shooting sticks and practice shooting off them. This can help with recoil, and better simulates how you are likely to be shooting. You can also get a slip on recoil pad for additional help.

Hi Joe, glad you joined the site. Sounds like you have the perfect attitude to go over and have a great trip. It is very special to go with friends. I just got back from first trip last August with several members of my family. It was an awesome experience.

I've been working on some new loads this summer for my next trip and the Oklahoma heat is slowing my shooting a lot too. Just trying to get out early or late for a few rounds. My advice on the bench is get off it as soon as you're sure of you're loads and scope and start shooting from sticks. Its a lot less punishing and the way you will shoot over there.

What part of SA are you hunting? Do you know what animals your targeting?

Have a great trip. Look forward to your report.

Once the gun is dialed in, the bench is useless, IMHO.

I agree with everyone that I want to get off the bench ASAP. We just dialed the scope and load in (180gr A-frames with IMR 4831). We will go out and shoot the same loads one more time to make sure everything is as it should be then be done with the bench. As I said, I am changing scopes so that might require a little tuning but with a bore sight we should get pretty close. For anyone interested we also tried Reloader 22 and there was basically no difference in the grouping with the 4831.

MAdcox being my neighbor in Oklahoma I would imagine you must be feeling my pain with the heat indeed. It went from winter to summer with about 2 weeks in between. I plan to take your approach of just getting out early and/or late as much as possible to get a few rounds off. I suspect we will be hunting in the Limpopo region although that has not been confirmed and could change at game time.

I know for sure I would like to take a Zebra, Kudu, and Impala. A Blesbuck and warthog also come with my package and I'd like the warthog.
On the potential list that I'd really like to have is a Waterbuck and Nyala. I really like the thought of taking an Eland because, well I think they are very impressive but also because I doubt I will ever be able to afford to hunt any really big game in North America (besides maybe Elk) and to take something that huge would be neat, plus I heard they are very tasty. However, we will have to see what develops. I'm trying to keep an open mind about the "spare" animals and if something comes up I may jump on it. I'm not the type of person that has to have everything planned out (not to say I don't come prepared) so I'm good with whatever.

Hunting a Zebra is something I am really looking forward to though. Just hearing how tough they are.

Welcome to AH.
Enjoy your preparation.

Welcome to 'our place' where friendships are made over shared information and experiences.

Welcome to AH sir!

Welcome and you’ll get find your rifle is just great. Enjoy and please post your hunt story.

Hi all! I've been lurking on the forums for some time now as we looked at doing a safari in 2017 but it fell through (we were late coming into the game so no surprise). This worked out much better as I would not have as much time to prepare or raise as much money.
My good friend has been already 3 times and will be going with me on this one. Although I haven't been hunting my entire life I did grow up in a family that shoots often. When I moved to Kansas for work and met my friend he gave me the bug. I decided to go on safari for several reasons, one is that I want to go with my good friend and not sure how many more he has in him but he definitely has this one. Another is that I have the attitude that money comes and goes but this experience will be something I can always look back on. The last one is that as I get older I want to know that I have done everything I wanted and when my time comes I don't regret it. I am grateful to be able to do this at the age of 33 while I still have good health to get after it. The flights are booked and down payment made for late September to go to SA!

I got a very good deal on a "used" 300 Weatherby magnum Mark V. I bet the previous owner had shot it once or twice, it never even had a scope mounted on it. After we cleaned the barrel it looked brand new. I was a little nervous about using a Mark v given some don't shoot well and the concept of a free-bore that the bullet has to jump just seems like a poor design in terms of accuracy.
However, with hand loads we got it pretty dialed in recently and I feel happy about it. Now my biggest worry is getting enough shooting time with it. It has been 95+ degrees here so I don't get many rounds before I have to stop and let it cool, if I can even get out. Plus shooting off the bench to dial it in is not fun after about 6 rounds. I will step up my effort soon.
I started with a Vortex HD LH and although we got it dialed and it has taken the recoil so far I couldn't bring myself to trust it (plus it had too much parallax for my liking). So I just purchased a Leupold VX-5 HD and Talley rings. I think that will be a step up.

Well, I will leave it at that for now. Thank you all for contributing to this site to help newbs like me.

Cheers!
Joe
Enjoy every minute!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome aboard! I like the new Vortex stuff, haven't had any issues....if you want to get rid of the other one I've got $20 haha

Welcome
Practice off sticks will make your shooting in Africa a lot simpler as you will be use to shooting that way. Recoil will be less as well from standing position.
Above all enjoy your trip and be prepared to join the ranks of hunters who have caught the fever.
I’ve Six trips seventh was being planned even while there on last trip this May .

Welcome aboard Joe! You have a good list for your first hunt. Good luck and if you can resist the thought of a return trip, please let us in on it. :D

a return trip, please let us in o
Oh I doubt it! I already know I can't take enough on the first trip but that is a good thing I think.

Slowly collecting things I need but don't yet have. Just ordered a Murray leather shell holder. Ordered a pair of smartwool socks to see how they would fit. The crew height is too tall for me. I'm not a long sock guy but they need to get up to my ankle to prevent my boots from rubbing. We will try again.
On that note, also working to break in my boots. I know the fancy guys like Courtney but I have flat feet so I need something with a removable insert for my custom orthodics. I ended up going with a pair of Danners that I really like so far. We will see what happens.

New scope and rings come in tomorrow so I will be out on the holiday sighting in and practicing.

Welcome Joe. This forum has a wealth of information from some extremely knowledgeable folks, enjoy!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross