A Tiny Bit Of Progress

Envy! Nice displays gentlemen!

@Philip Glass and @Red Leg

Just curious...are these tiny ten trophies byproducts of safaris primarily focused on other bigger games or are you guys going to Africa specifically for these tiny ten species?

Just curious...are these tiny ten trophies byproducts of safaris primarily focused on other bigger games or are you guys going to Africa specifically for these tiny ten species?
All of mine were by-products of other hunts with buffalo as the primary game animal. However, on my first trips, which were primarily for plains game, I had no interest in them. I easily could have acquired a permit for Damara Dik Dik on any of several trips to Namibia and didn't because I couldn't fathom hunting an antelope the size of a rabbit. :E Doh: I shot a steenbock in Namibia that we used for leopard bait without even thinking about declaring him a trophy and taking him home. :A Bang Head: It wasn't until I managed a long and ultimately successful stalk on an Oribi in Mozambique that stretched the barrel of my S2 Blaser a bit, that I realized what wonderful creatures these things were.

because I couldn't fathom hunting an antelope the size of a rabbit.
I am getting ready for my first safari this May and I am at the same state of mind as what you described. Tiny Ten is still a bit of novelty or a foreign concept for me. I am sure time will cure that as I mingle more on this forum. ;)

I just got my Cape Grysbuck and Red Duiker back! So I’m at 6 of the Tiny Ten. It’s killing me to think how much longer it’s going to take!
(From left: Klipspringer, Cape Grysbuck, Damara Dik Dik, Duiker, Steinbeck, & Red Duiker)View attachment 387095
Keep working it man! You will get there.

After my rhino hunt two years ago I was specifically after 4 of them winding up with 2. So yes and no. Others were byproducts of the hunt. Now the tinys are THE priority. Trouble is they are so far apart and hard to get.

All of mine were by-products of other hunts with buffalo as the primary game animal. However, on my first trips, which were primarily for plains game, I had no interest in them. I easily could have acquired a permit for Damara Dik Dik on any of several trips to Namibia and didn't because I couldn't fathom hunting an antelope the size of a rabbit. :E Doh: I shot a steenbock in Namibia that we used for leopard bait without even thinking about declaring him a trophy and taking him home. :A Bang Head: It wasn't until I managed a long and ultimately successful stalk on an Oribi in Mozambique that stretched the barrel of my S2 Blaser a bit, that I realized what wonderful creatures these things were.
I was a bit ahead of you. My first safari in ‘97 included Steinbuck and Duiker so of course I hunted them. Been in love with the little ones ever since. I’ve just never had the chance to go after others until recently.

I am getting ready for my first safari this May and I am at the same state of mind as what you described. Tiny Ten is still a bit of novelty or a foreign concept for me. I am sure time will cure that as I mingle more on this forum. ;)
Like the rest of Africa you will catch the bug!

Red Leg, I did not get the reference at first. I just copied from Philip's miss spelling. So, I am throwing Philip under the bus.

Red Leg, "Steinbeck" may be a new exotic mouse sized antelope that only Philip and I know about.
Darn autocorrect!

Very nice, I too never gave them much thought, to the point that I passed up a respectable duiker in the Eastern Cape. Some days I'm just not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Very nice, I too never gave them much thought, to the point that I passed up a respectable duiker in the Eastern Cape. Some days I'm just not the sharpest knife in the drawer.
Don’t worry many of us have been there!

Philip....that is a beautiful display. Fairly compact too, Nothing so Monstrous, as say an eland or even a kudu, so wall space is used efficiently. What will be the most difficult to get to finish the ten? The "cup of gold" so to speak? And Red Leg....the display.....(and the hutch!) are fabulous.....................FW Bill

Philip....that is a beautiful display. Fairly compact too, Nothing so Monstrous, as say an eland or even a kudu, so wall space is used efficiently. What will be the most difficult to get to finish the ten? The "cup of gold" so to speak? And Red Leg....the display.....(and the hutch!) are fabulous.....................FW Bill
It is looking like Sharps Grysbuck may be difficult for me. I need it plus Suni, Oribi, & Blue Duiker. I’ll try again for blue duiker this year and maybe Oribi if I can get a permit.
I’ve been after them for a while and either failed or never saw one on several trips now. It has become a real journey.

Very cool!

Hope to kick off my Tiny 10 with a damara dik dik in Namibia in July if all goes well. That's priority #2 since they can only be hunted there, behind the leopard. Havent really looked into the locations of the other 9 especially the harder to collect ones, let alone the methods typically used to hunt them (other than what I've seen in videos), so the rest are TBD. Certainly wont pass an opportunity on a good one if it arises, but still hoping my first safari happens in July, the list is long but I'm sure the other 9 are in thers somewhere, God willing

Don't start! I will take any of them on my next trip. Two tiny's down and many more to go.

The "Tiny Ten" is a marketing tool to get guys interested in these little guys. There are a lot more through-out Central Africa. So, there are always more. They are a blast to hunt especially when using mouth calls.

Just the duiker family: I have seen guys go to Congo and Central Africa just to hunt these little guys. Not all these can be hunted due to population or location.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kathi6164

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.