A Survey Of What Do African Professional Hunters Want You To Bring

If I may permit myself @One Day... I could not have imagined anyone else having such an organised kit as yourself :) Down to the last item this is well thought out and structured ;)

Concerning the post from 2009, with pictures of 2019, I remember when reading this thread it originally had over 5 or even 10 pages of replies, I had asked the general question if it would make sense to update this after 10+ years, and if the survey could be done over, and a few days later the original post was updated with these new pictures (coming from you apparently) and many pages missing. So I don't know what went on? Some early spring cleaning in the forum?
Jeez - this is getting weirder by the post.

@BRICKBURN ?!?

Getting back to muzzle breaks they are useless piece of metal on the end of a barrel that is my thought on them. I hate them can handle them on the range maybe but hunting no.
They hurt like hell when standing next to client trying to plug your hear and still have the binos on the target animal.

Get a smaller cailbre if you cannot handle the recoil or even better a suppresor.

Well... I recognize the pictures of the checked luggage and the carry-on backpack ... because these are mine... I guess that typically one would reference the source for their material, but this is not an issue, I am happy if these pics have value to the AH community... :)

This, by the way, raises an interesting question: how can this original post be from 2009, knowing that I posted these pictures on August 22, 2019?
Pascal, When this article from 2009 was recently resurrected I added these 2 images to the article that were in the Media gallery which belong to you. We use available images from AH Media gallery all of the time to highlight the point of articles posted in the Articles section of AH since it has a more dynamic layout which allows for an image to show in the preview. Otherwise articles without images just show the site logo which is less interesting. We regularly select relevant images from the Media gallery for content that does not contain images as they add visual interest to the articles.

Here you can see what I'm referring to, your image on display in the preview of the article. The system automatically chooses and displays the first image found in the article.

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 10.16.53 AM.png

Here are a couple articles with no images which display AH logo.
Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 10.17.16 AM.png

By the way your images were selected because your are so organized and pack so well... :cool:

Hope this helps clarify why your image appears in this article.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.56.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.56.54 AM.png
    963.8 KB · Views: 159
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.56.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.56.55 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 156
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.57.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.57.17 AM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.57.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.57.20 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 155
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.57.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.57.22 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 158
  • Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.57.24 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 11.57.24 AM.png
    398.4 KB · Views: 174
A real question here and this is coming from a guy who took a 308 with a brake on a recent trip (My young son was hunting and it worked well for him). No I'm not trying to be sarcastic I am genuinely curious and from the comments I feel like I can get a straight answer. DB's created from a short action rifle with a brake vs a long action or magnum rifle with no brake? I am aware that sound travels in a different direction when a rifle is equipped with a brake but I will tell you that if I send one from my 7mm or 300 win, both without a brake, and I don't have hearing protection on, my ears are ringing like crazy. I have been surprised by the lack of hearing protection by PH's with the importance of their hearing, especially when pursuing dangerous game. An unprotected ear, with our without a brake on your rifle, is likely to be damaged to some extent and especially damaging when its repeated regularly.

I have never had a rifle with a muzzle brake. But my towns shooting range is just desert behind a small mountain. 12 or so concrete tables and a metal awning.
When someone shows up with a muzzle brake on a rifle, I go sit in my truck til they are done. I wear hearing protection at the range and it is still like thunder under the awning.
I seen a guy knock his spotting scope off the table from the percussion once. A expensive mistake he made.

Thank you Jerome, this makes sense :)

In the spirit of contributing to the purpose of the thread, here are the suggestions offered in the Welcome to Huntershill booklet I developed for new clients.

Admittedly, I prefer to be the guy who has everything, rather than being the guy who constantly has to depend on others, so some will find a few things hereunder unnecessary, but to each our own :)

1617849794265.png

1617850004848.png

1617850780381.png

1617851093106.png

1617848573490.png

1617848654516.png

1617848701518.png

1617848738786.png

1617848775349.png

1617849199623.png

1617849438464.png

Old timers do not need any advice, and I am certainly not intending to give them any, but hopefully the above may be useful to first time safari goers :)

Last edited:
Thank you Jerome, this makes sense :)

In the spirit of contributing to the purpose of the thread, here are the suggestions offered in the Welcome to Huntershill booklet I developed for new clients.

Admittedly, I prefer to be the guy who has everything, rather than being the guy who constantly has to depend on others, so some will find a few things hereunder unnecessary, but to each our own :)

View attachment 396857

View attachment 396858

View attachment 396859

View attachment 396860

View attachment 396844

View attachment 396845

View attachment 396846

View attachment 396847

View attachment 396848

View attachment 396851

View attachment 396853

Old timers do not need any advice, and I am certainly not intending to give them any, but hopefully the above may be useful to first time safari goers :)
And as usual, for the most structured and complete response, turn to @One Day...

Thanks a lot for this, very helpful, will be printing these pages :) (and if you like I can make a translation into cm and kg for the metric version of this )

Since muzzle brakes took over the thread I have always wondered why more PHs and staff don't use electronic hearing protection. It is hard for me to believe that the brake on say a 300 is louder than the short barreled 500 in his hands. I think it's all somewhere around 135db. Not like they are getting away without loss of hearing just because there is no brake.

Any PHs out there that can weigh in?
What did you say?? I can’t hear you. Lol

PH's are very good about putting up with and catering to clients. It is what they do. I have no doubt none complained in your presence.

I know of no professional hunter that doesn't absolutely hate the things. Not one. Trackers don't even get a vote.
Red Leg, I am bringing my 460 S&W revolver for my upcoming trip in June. It is a 10.5 inches barrel from performance center. It comes with a muzzle break and it is loud and strong shock wave. At the shooting range, people will move further or wait until I am running out of bullet. The PH whom I know actually excited that I am bringing this revolver. This trip will be my number 3 with him.

Red Leg, I am bringing my 460 S&W revolver for my upcoming trip in June. It is a 10.5 inches barrel from performance center. It comes with a muzzle break and it is loud and strong shock wave. At the shooting range, people will move further or wait until I am running out of bullet. The PH whom I know actually excited that I am bringing this revolver. This trip will be my number 3 with him.
Different issue. You have a PH who is fully on board with your choice - not receiving a surprise - whatever he may think about muzzle brakes.

Glad I don't have to cool my heels at the range while you shoot.

I leave for Namibia on June 13 and am using the Outfitters guns and ammo. I know that I can only bring in loaded shells for the rifles that I import, in my case none. My question is can I bring in unloaded bullets, if I am not bringing in any guns?

I know you can in SA, I am not sure about Namibia. If you can, I am sure it will be a welcome present for your PH/Outfitter.

I want a PH that's going to treat me like a man not one that's going to hide his thoughts like he's dealing with a teenaged girl. So, how does one man tell another to not bring a rifle with a muzzle break the next time he comes to Africa? Something like this...

"If that's a threaded muzzle break, let's take it off before we go to the range."

"Oh, it's not threaded. We can deal with it but you might consider bringing a rifle without one the next time around. The additional noise isn't always a good tradeoff for a little bit less muzzle jump."

This PH gets as good or a better tip than one that quietly suffers or acts aloof every time I get on the truck with my rifle.

First, I do not own a gun with a muzzle brake, so I don't really have a dog in that fight, though I side with those who generally do not like them. The range is an unfun place when someone is shooting a rifle with one.

Pascal... thanks for that packing photo; I printed it off and used it as I considered how/what to pack, and in what bag. As a first-timer, it was very helpful.

I think the two biggest things I tried to bring - based on the treasure trove of information on this site - was a dedicated effort to practice off sticks/tripod, and no ego. I did make a concerted effort to practice off a tripod (that was as much like the one my PH uses) in the weeks before going. It was not a "duck to water" thing for me and I struggled. Still, after the first day over there, I could feel the practice paying off. I am glad so many recommended that I put in the time.

The ego... I made the conscious decision to walk into it with an attitude of "whatever my PH says." It's his playing field; he knows the animals. If I truly believed I put in my homework in researching him - and I did - I should be willing to trust him completely. So my hunting ego - or whatever ego I might have had, built on moose, caribou, and bears - got left behind. In my mind the approach worked well. YMMV

A hard part for me was packing so light; with fly-out trips here, you better have it if you think you're going to need it. Still, I managed on small check-in (could have been a carry-on, based on size) and my day pack. In the end, I'd have to say I had absolutely everything I needed, and was lacking nothing, so it must have worked... and in large part I have you fine folks to thank for that.

The one thing I DIDN'T do... I brought guns in calibers that might have made it difficult, had my ammo been lost. I decided to roll the dice. My PG rifle is the one I shoot better than any rifle I own; I decided that was worth the risk, being so far from home and there for my first time. And my buffalo rifle was the only one I own that has a bore size large enough to get away with as legal.

I have enjoyed reading the responses of others on here. I'd like to believe if (WHEN) I go back, I'll do so even more confident in the choices I make, and confident in guiding my daughter in her choices.

EVER PLAN TO ..I'M 74 WITH BAD SHOULDERS AND 3 STROKES..I ONLY HUNTED PLAINS GAME..nO INTENTIONS OF HUNTING THAT STUFF.I have killed all I need too..
Good to know.....I think the brake has affected your hearing you are typing in bold letters.....

Some mundane items to consider taking on trip, especially in more lonely country than South Africa. Pick up a couple small, backpacker rolls of Duct tape, keep one in your carry on and one in your checked duffle. You will use it for all kinds of things several times on a lengthy trip. I had one in my carry on confiscated once In fifty years. Also take something like Benedril cream and pills, you never know how you may react to new bug bites. Cortisone 10 cream helps too with bites and rash. I hunt a lot in Tsetse Fly country and if you have not been around them you have no idea what a nightmare they can be. Repellant have been discussed. Decades ago I stopped taking a swanky hunting knife and replaced it with a Leatherman type tool. The pliers, screwdriver, and bottle opener see more use than the blade.. i am 83 and have been enjoying annual, lengthy safaris all over Africa for over 50 years until this year. Just recently joined this forum and have loved vicariously experiencing everyone adventures.

Perfect attitude.

In your first post, you made a blanket statement with regard to muzzle brakes that based upon my experiences is simply is not true. It is an issue that I would urge you to dig into a little bit. PH's and Trackers rely on their directional hearing almost as much as their eyes to keep their clients and themselves safe - particularly hunting dangerous game. Getting in close with either ear plugs or tinnitus tends to defeat that intent. Muzzle brakes are terrible for everyone but the man behind the butt.

But you are absolutely correct. You are indeed paying the bill. No one will tell you to leave your rifle in camp and everyone will do very best to cater to your every desire. Again, I would simply urge you to dig into the issue and your assumptions a little before ignoring the welfare of the hired help.
I used brakes a couple times on big DG calibers but with practice I phased them out. I also was tired of making sure everyone’s ears were covered. I think so many guys don’t quite make the transition from the bench to the field in some respects.

I find this an abominable response @ack
Being the buyer of the hunt and having the money does not give one license to behave in such a way as to disrespect the preferences of the other involved parties.
I usually avoid confrontation, especially on an open forum such as this, but this had to be said.

V.
Especially to discount the real possibility of permanent hearing damage.

Funny enough on my first Safari back in 1997 my hunting buddies and I all packed super light. We just had our gun case and a fairly small duffel bag and no carry on. The outfitter commented on how light we packed. We just didn’t know enough to worry about it I guess!
Our mistake was not having some clothes in a carry on as most luggage and gun cases were delayed a couple days.
This is a great article despite its age and the muzzle brake derail.
Philip

+1 with what Happy said about having a cream for rashes. The ONE thing I didn't take I wish I had: something for my legs. On the first day I switched to shorts due to how warm it was. BIG MISTAKE. I am clumsy by nature, and double the age of my PH. Where he ghosted through the thick stuff without so much as a scratch, my legs came out of the day looking like they had been run through a pasta shredder. I'm just glad I went off my blood thinner a year ago... I'd have bled out. Something FOR my legs in the days that followed would have been nice, had I thought about it. Fortunately Wik's wife rescued me and picked something up in Grahamstown.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg