A Survey Of What Do African Professional Hunters Want You To Bring

Bert the Turtle

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Not exactly sure why anyone cares what color clothes the client wears. The tracker is going to be in a blue jumpsuit. And not sure what the concern is specifically regarding a light tan. That’s the color of the grass where I’ve hunted. And the color of a lion.

But I generally agree with the advice of the post.

for every “what should I bring?” Post there should be 100 “how should I prepare myself” posts. If you can walk 10 miles a day, use at least marginal fieldcraft, and shoot straight from field positions out to 150 yards, you’ll have no problems at all.

Happy Myles

Gold supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Chad, Benin, Ethiopia, Ruwanda, Burugi, Mo, Cameroon, C.A.R.mozambique, Namibia\, So Africa, Congo, , Botswana,, All No America, All Central ASia, Mongolia
Funny enough on my first Safari back in 1997 my hunting buddies and I all packed super light. We just had our gun case and a fairly small duffel bag and no carry on. The outfitter commented on how light we packed. We just didn’t know enough to worry about it I guess!
Our mistake was not having some clothes in a carry on as most luggage and gun cases were delayed a couple days.
This is a great article despite its age and the muzzle brake derail.
Philip
Phil, you only need a baggage delay once to make sure you have hunting clothes in your carry on. Many decades ago I bolted out of a meeting just in time to catch a plane while I was in business clothes. I arrived in Bangui, Central African Republic and no baggage arrived period. On the way to get my small charter plane we stopped at roadside stands and I bought second hand clothes off bushes. One sock came to my knee the other barely my ankle. What a hoot! The C.A.,R. was not a sophisticated hunting area in those days. I wore my Bruno Magli designer luxury dress shoes for three weeks and they worked great in jungle and swamp after Bongo and in the savannah for Lord Derby. The shoes took a beating and I have them in my hunting room. Have hunted around western Africa several times since then and always chuckle thinking about that first adventure. also when i arrived the army was driving around shooting up things, apparently they had not been paid in several months and were showing their displeasure. Sort of put a damper on going shopping. Kindest Regards and thanks for humoring my rambling.

Last edited:

Rare Breed

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
The ones that fit inside your ears are cool..but expensive..
The others are too bulky and hot...
You cannot afford to miss certain sounds when closing in...
Not practical....
I can already see the tracker tossing around with ear muffs instead of concentrating on the task at hand....
IvW always listen to your thoughts given your experience. Would love to hunt with you one day

Gemsbok Gangsta

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DU SCI NRA
Hunted
Namibia 2009/East Cape 2016/NW province 2019
Had great success with 165 NAB bullets out of my 30-06 each trip!! Pretty funny though when I look at my first trip compared to the 3rd my packing sure does look different:).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BryceBiz

Latest profile posts

flatwater bill wrote on KHOMAS HIGHLAND HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
I hope your hunting season has started off well. I am coming to Namibia for the 7th time in late April of 2022. I am bringing two friends who have never hunted outside of the USA. I have several questions, but before I write them all, I will wait to see if you receive this. Please give a shout................................best regards.........................Bill...............Idaho, USA
My name’s Wyatt Baker. I’m a card-carrying NRA member, an avid outdoorsman, long-time angler, and a big Patrick McManus fan.
Does anyone know where to buy a chamber reamer to convert .458 win to .458 Lott? I hear it is very easy to do—?
Gerry Addison wrote on KKovar's profile.
Do you still have the set of gaiters you talked about on the site? Gerry
Ihuntbiggame wrote on Krist Atanasoff's profile.
Hi Krist, I’m interested in your Sako , can you please send me a email with a better description and your asking price . Thank you. From. Mike