Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia, Zimbabwe, RSA (2), NZ (2), UK.
Very nice and it's not pink!

my wife shoots a Savage Ladyhunter in 7-08.
It is very pretty rifle, to say the least, but it was designed for a woman, not a child.
It takes into account that women's necks are usually proportionally longer than a man's or a child's.
also, it's not pink or frilly, just a light rifle with a stock design appropriate for a woman.

Now, my wife does have a sling that she weaved feathers into to style it likes she wants it to look, though.

my wife shoots a Savage Ladyhunter in 7-08.
It is very pretty rifle, to say the least, but it was designed for a woman, not a child.
It takes into account that women's necks are usually proportionally longer than a man's or a child's.
also, it's not pink or frilly, just a light rifle with a stock design appropriate for a woman.

Now, my wife does have a sling that she weaved feathers into to style it likes she wants it to look, though.
My wife shoots the same rifle and boy is she deadly with it. Last year was a 180 yard heart shot on her whitetail buck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why did Ladyhunter make me think of Ladyboy? Is it just me? Am I twisted? :cautious:

Didn't really think of stock design for women, but I suppose it makes sense.

That rifle,,Camilla,, is absolutely beautiful

With a name like Camilla, I think of Prince Charles' consort and I am less impressed than I could be ...

i think the Savage is better in one aspect, especially for smaller women. Savage is 5 pounds, the Camilla is 6.5 pounds.
Now, if you were to go up to a heavier caliber, then the 6.5 might likely kick less which would swing favor to the Camilla based on weight.
also, my wife loves the accutrigger. it has made her more accurate.
Both rifles look nice. Both are 20 in barrels, I hate my daughter's Ruger Compact with that 16 in barrel.

The Camilla
Vanguard%20Camilla%20copy_0.jpg

Savage Ladyhunter

0L2VgAUD6_qOvfrnKji.png

Attachments

• Vanguard Camilla copy_0.jpg
    Vanguard Camilla copy_0.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 0L2VgAUD6_qOvfrnKji.png
    0L2VgAUD6_qOvfrnKji.png
    73.8 KB · Views: 178
http://www.sportsafield.com/content/rifle-review-weatherby-vanguard-camilla

My natural cynicism would say this is a marketing ploy, but its good to see another manufacture looking to cater for the 'Dianas' amongst us.

Apart from 'youth' models that are condescending to women, I hope this will help more hunters get into the field and into the sport.

Our enemies have always sought to pit women against us. Anything that brings more women and youth into the fold makes the anti-gun anti-hunting crowd seeth with anger

My daughter is 5 foot tall and shoots left handed rifles:
A custom stocked Savage 110 in .243 for deer and such up close.
For larger game and longer ranges, she shoots a Weatherby Mark V in 7mm Weatherby Magnum; the stock did not need to be shortened.

Neither rifle is pink and both are very accurate; off the bench shoot 3 shot groups less than one MOA.
Her longest shot on game was a Montana mule deer at 400 yards - one shot kill with the 140 grain factory Weatherby ammo.

Hmm, Camilla might be fine to shoot in the lighter chamberings it comes in, but any significant move in caliber up from there and I don't think I'd want to shoot it. With that extreme drop muzzle rise and felt recoil I'd anticipate to be worse than it needs to be. Perhaps just my thinking.

Reactions: lcq
Hmm, Camilla might be fine to shoot in the lighter chamberings it comes in, but any significant move in caliber up from there and I don't think I'd want to shoot it. With that extreme drop muzzle rise and felt recoil I'd anticipate to be worse than it needs to be. Perhaps just my thinking.

light = nice to carry, not so nice to shoot.

I like it. And I suspect it has little kick.

My wife uses a LH Savage 110 in 7-08, its a great little rifle. The 7-08 is a great cartridge, anything you can take with a 7x57 you can take with a 7-08.

My wife uses a LH Savage 110 in 7-08, its a great little rifle. The 7-08 is a great cartridge, anything you can take with a 7x57 you can take with a 7-08.

Bought a Ruger M77 7-08 with a 16" barrel for Christmas last year! It's a sweet shooting rifle.

I have never had a problem shooting a regular (men's) rifle. For me it was never necessary to look for a special woman's rifle. The longest rifle I posses is 45" long.

I hate my daughter's Ruger Compact with that 16 in barrel

My wife has a ruger compact in .308 with the 16"bbl.. she isn't a fan either (although she shoots it well).. We added an aftermarket stock (boyds) to help bring the weight up and try to get the LOP closer to "right".. but it simply doesn't fit her well.. and she is a bit recoil sensitive.. so she keeps leaning back toward her .243...

I might have to give one of these rifles a try and see if they might work better for her..

Last edited by a moderator:
the more women hunting the better,my wife and i have been hunting pals since 1990.as handgun hunters she never had to worry about left or right handed weapons.she mostly shoots contenders.

With a name like Camilla, I think of Prince Charles' consort and I am less impressed than I could be ...
Bren..............different Camilla.............

"Camilla, in case you’re wondering, was company founder Roy Weatherby’s wife, and the new rifle’s name is an appropriate nod to the origins of the company, which is still family-owned and run."

My wife is shooting one of 2 rifles I restocked to fit her. One is a Ruger 338 RCM. the other is a custom mauser in 7x57AI. She doesn't like pink, both her rifles are in laminated red and black thumbhole stocks. I am building her a custom 9.3x62 custom mauser that will have an really nice carlo walnut stock for Christmas this year. Provided she doesn't procure my CZ 550FS 9.3x62 the next time we are at the range.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MckinleySv

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.