A question about side by side shotguns & rifled slugs

What are the specs on this Beauty ?? I wonder how it would shoot with Brenekke 3"Magnum Crush slugs??

I have since sold this rifle, but it was a nice gun, weighing in at about 7.5 lbs. Surprisingly, it shot regular foster slugs better than the Brennekes and various modern sabot rounds. Only problem was the foster slugs leaded the bejesus out the barrels after only a couple shots. Was fun to play with, though!

A paradox really isn't designed for "slugs." They use a "bullet" of specific weights with which the gun is regulated. For instance, my pre-WWI William Evans Paradox will put 4 rounds LxR/LxR under 3-inches at 100 yards. It also shoots perfect modified patterns with number 6 shot. I have used it to roll wart hogs for leopard bait and create a large pile of sand grouse from the same waterhole one afternoon in Namibia. Ross Seyfried recreated the original, paper hulled 740 gr load for this gun.

William Evans Paradox 12 bore
That is gorgeous

I have since sold this rifle, but it was a nice gun, weighing in at about 7.5 lbs. Surprisingly, it shot regular foster slugs better than the Brennekes and various modern sabot rounds. Only problem was the foster slugs leaded the bejesus out the barrels after only a couple shots. Was fun to play with, though!
Nice rifle/gun, what sort of money are they fetching @frog stealer ?

I think load up some nice hard RB & it would be bloody awesome !

Be nice if we could still buy a few packets of these from Wallymart ?

WR Explora Shells .jpg

Last edited:
Nice rifle/gun, what sort of money are they fetching @frog stealer ?

I think load up some nice hard RB & it would be bloody awesome !

Be nice if we could still buy a few packets of these from Wallymart ?

View attachment 517935

Bought/Sold mine for around $2k…I’ve been trying to buy a collector round of those exploras for a while, but they go for crazy prices!

Thank you, thats a good price for fully rifled gun, was it regulated well, Siace are not a bad builder of double rifles ?

Id love one myself, my 12bore double rifle weights 15lbs lol

Yes those Explora & Magnum Explora shells are expensive here also, I'm trying to get a full cylinder of .577 Webley-Boxer-Tranter to take some photos of my guns, I have 4 so far but now these are up to $250-300 each !

I still fancy one of these:

Thank you, thats a good price for fully rifled gun, was it regulated well, Siace are not a bad builder of double rifles ?

Id love one myself, my 12bore double rifle weights 15lbs lol

Yes those Explora & Magnum Explora shells are expensive here also, I'm trying to get a full cylinder of .577 Webley-Boxer-Tranter to take some photos of my guns, I have 4 so far but now these are up to $250-300 each !

I would stick with the old British made guns…the Siace was ok, but owned an H&H Paradox hammer gun from the 1880’s and it was much better regulated than the modern Siace.

I saw one of those break action two barreled pistols chambered in that 577 pistol round (or maybe it was .577 Snider?) in an auction a few years ago, I wanted it so bad, but had to stop bidding when it exceeded $10k!

That's interesting on the Siace, thank you.

That was most likely a Howdah Pistol, in a range of Calibers & Bores but not normally the the full .577 Snider round, but could be, yes I have been chasing one I could afford for some time myself.

Got two big revolvers in .577 Boxer instead at a insane price, I lost my mind lol !!

I've owned ten drillings, about the same number of BBF's and a few cape guns and one fully rifled 20 guage double as well as a bunch of double shotguns. My experience is that not all of any of these guns can be lumped together. Maybe ones made this century, but the rest were pretty much individuals. None of my German guns had a shotgun barrel that shot slugs to the sights. Several were accurate with slugs, but were neither regulated or were where the rifle barrel shot. The only one that shoots rifle barrel and slugs to the same place is of all things a Savage 24. Of all the Savege 24's I've owned, it is the only one. I've shot no slugs or buckshot or steel through my light barreled bird guns. My understanding is that the stresses are different for more solid masses than for the more fluid fine shot loads. It is not just the solder joints but the barrels as well. There are plenty of ringed and bulged barrels on older guns from steel shot. Back in the dark ages, when we got older Browning thin barrels, auto 5's and Superposed, in on trades, we gave them a careful look over. It was not an uncommon problem in the pre-steel days.
I say all that as a caution. Remember your hands and face are very close to an explosion each time you pull a trigger.
Bfly

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you