A Proper Plains Game Rifle

MedRiver

Silver supporter
AH senior member
Reaction score
Full disclosure...I have never hunted Africa and presently have no immediate plans. However, recently I have started putting Africa more on my radar and have been thinking about a simple battery for when I do book a hunt. My heavy rifle is easy...and not really very heavy. It is a custom .400 Whelen built on a Montana 1999 action that my wife wanted me to commission for our 20th anniversary.

4SjVs5m.jpg

It was built more with Alaska in mind so is cerakoted and has a synthetic stock but I reckon it won't be the first synthetic rifle to ever line up on an eland or buffalo :) Duplicating .450/400 ballistics with 4 down in the magazine does not seem like a terrible option.

My plains rifle has taken up a bit more space in my head trying to decide what would be the most enjoyable for my first safari. I immediately thought about a full custom with fancy wood and all the trimmings. The more I thought about it, I really liked the idea of searching for a used rifle with some soul that would check a few boxes. I trade rifles as a hobby/side-business so I get to see a lot of neat stuff and have found that focusing my search really adds to the fun of a scavenger hunt.

My short list of cartridges would be 7x57, .30-06 and .300 H&H. Lots of other good choices but these just felt right. I really wanted a mauser action and prefer FNs...bonus points for ones with nice FN crests. Commercial or military would be just fine as long as the action was solid. I wanted nice (but not fancy) wood with good checkering and some character. As long as the stock was solid and not totally beat to hell I would be happy. I actually wanted to see some wear on both the wood and the steel. With no street credit of my own in Africa it would be nice if at least one of us looked like we had been there before :)

I actually was hoping for something with a little heft to it. I hunt mountains a lot here in NA and my NA hunting rifles have all started losing weight as I age and tire of packing 9+ pound rifles up the hills. For this though, I expect a lot of shooting from sticks and, like most, I simply shoot a heavy rifle better.

This past weekend a dealer friend of mine turned me on to an estate sale. We went over together and put an offer in on a package of guns. Lots of standard stuff with a few nice nuggets but nothing I was too excited about keeping for myself. We went out to our vehicles and he said..."hey, you wouldn't be interested in an old FN .30-06 would you?". We are good enough friends I didn't even pretend to be disinterested. He pulled it out of his car and when I unzipped the case I could tell this was something special. The butt plate was FN, the wood was solid with some honest wear, the stamping on the receiver was perfectly clear and underneath the weaver scope bases I could see a nice FNH crest just peaking out. The step-down barrel was beautiful with a nice front sight, complete with hood. The numbers on the barrel matched the receiver and the bluing was nearly perfect except right at the muzzle. I wouldn't have minded a little more metal wear but I guess you can't have everyting :)

He told me what he wanted for it which was way too low- so I offered more. Realizing he was up against a professional negotiator, he countered below me and the deal was struck. We swapped FFLs and I am now in possession of my "perfect" plains game rifle.

RSO3UYq.jpg

4U6fV8a.jpg

KJRCS7N.jpg

The stepped-contour 24" barrel is nicely weighted and finishes at .600" at the muzzle and I love the checkering.

RvwqS4M.jpg

ZoSHP9Z.jpg

1AsMJLN.jpg

e9z3Zrd.jpg

It wore an old 1" steel scope with fine crosshairs and no markings but is likely of similar age to the rifle. That will be replaced with something a little more modern but likely no more fancy than an older friction adjustment gloss Leupold 2.5-8, or 3-9. When I removed the bases I was even happier than I thought I would be.

N3fFGmb.jpg

The only thing that absolutely has to be changed is the trigger. I have been married long enough that I can put up with a lot of irritating things...but a creepy 8 pound trigger isn't one of them. If I can get it worked on and get a nice crisp sub 3 pound trigger I will be happy. If not, an aftermarket will be installed.

I believe I will even keep the original butt plate.

VQ3E0fk.jpg

The only really modern thing I have planned for this rifle is bullets. I am thinking a 168 TTSX will be tough to beat for the application. Just hoping I can work up a load using cheaper cup/cores that flies similarly enough that I can get lots of trigger time off the sticks.

Thanks for letting me share!

Attachments

• 1AsMJLN.jpg
    1AsMJLN.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 77
  • 4SjVs5m.jpg
    4SjVs5m.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 95
  • 4U6fV8a.jpg
    4U6fV8a.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 63
  • e9z3Zrd.jpg
    e9z3Zrd.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 70
  • KJRCS7N.jpg
    KJRCS7N.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 67
  • N3fFGmb.jpg
    N3fFGmb.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 66
  • RSO3UYq.jpg
    RSO3UYq.jpg
    406.5 KB · Views: 71
  • RvwqS4M.jpg
    RvwqS4M.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 74
  • VQ3E0fk.jpg
    VQ3E0fk.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 106
  • ZoSHP9Z.jpg
    ZoSHP9Z.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Both rifles are very nice! Thanks for sharing

168 gr ttsx out of a 30-06 will take any PG you want to shoot easily… my primary 308 load is 168 gr ttsx traveling at about 2700 fps… it’s killed everything from impala to zebra and a whole lot in between…

Sweet FN… great find! And sounds like you got a great deal on it!

Your negotiation tactics sound as good as mine! Beautiful FN!

Well done. A beautiful 30-06 and a 400W that is based on the 30-06. Sounds like a nice 2-gun combination for Africa. Best of luck with your future plans.

Nothing to fault on that PG rifle, right down to your hunting load! Without doubt as close to a one size fits all set-up for African PG as you're sensibly going to get.

Letting loose my bias, a 300H&H would always be better. But in the absence of one I think you have a great solution. :giggle:

I see there are front sights but the rear (iron) sight has presumably been removed? Probably to make the scope fitment possible.

.30-06 Springfield is a fantastic choice.

I know that you younger generations do tend to be a bit dismissive towards the old cup & core bullet design. But I did manage to do all of this with the Remington Core Lokt soft point in 180Gr & 220Gr weights.
IMG_1407.jpeg
IMG_1406.jpeg
IMG_1405.jpeg
IMG_1404.jpeg
IMG_1403.jpeg

400 Whelen, don’t hear that one every day. I’ve never taken two rifles, take the 400 and shoot everything including Buffalo. May want to see if there is a way to get your ph some ammo ahead of time as a backup to the airlines losing your ammo bag, pretty sure safari outfitters in sa won’t have 400 whelen on hand. It happened to me on a trip with my 500 Jeff, luckily they had 3 boxes of Norma softs in stock at the Pretoria store.

What is nice about a FN like this is that it was built with the likelihood of a scope being added, and does not have the pronounced drop found on so many of the earlier Oberndorf Mausers. Also no stripper clip slot to deal with trying to mount a scope. Were it mine, I would replace those mounts with Talleys and their dismountable rings. They have a rust blue like finish and old world look that works well with a classic rifle. Then mount a dependable modern scope and have the perfect PG rifle. OK, I agree - after fixing that trigger - as you know after market Mauser triggers are easy to find.

That FN is a lovely rifle. I have a similar .250 Savage and a 7x57, and waiting for a 9,3x62 license. Replacing the military two stage trigger with a Timney is simple plug and play.

Then mount a 3-9x36 Z3 or similar scope and you have the most reliable plains game rifle available, with the ability to hunt steenbuck through to eland.

Did you get the original rear sight with?

Lastly, that stock has a lot of potential if you strip the varnish and finish it with a traditional oil finish.

IMG_0941.JPG

IMG_0937.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanayadelhi01

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.