A Gun Which Lasted A Career & A Life Time

Very interesting Poton!
I have owned a lot of different rifles, shotguns and pistols. They all seem to have their own special purpose, but I have never really had a passion for any particular one. In my mind, it’s the hunt I have the passion for. The gun is merely a tool for the hunt.
That said, I certainly understand the idea of preferring a certain arm. I inherited a Winchester Model 12 12 gauge from my dad who inherited it from his uncle. I passed it on to my sister’s son (my nephew) who grew up with my dad and was named after him. Thus it went to a 4th generation.
We have been lucky so far here in the USA being able to own so many arms. It spoils us.

Very interesting Poton!
I have owned a lot of different rifles, shotguns and pistols. They all seem to have their own special purpose, but I have never really had a passion for any particular one. In my mind, it’s the hunt I have the passion for. The gun is merely a tool for the hunt.
That said, I certainly understand the idea of preferring a certain arm. I inherited a Winchester Model 12 12 gauge from my dad who inherited it from his uncle. I passed it on to my sister’s son (my nephew) who grew up with my dad and was named after him. Thus it went to a 4th generation.
We have been lucky so far here in the USA being able to own so many arms. It spoils us.
Thank you so much , Ridge Walker , for enjoying my article . I am an avid supporter of America's fire arms laws and the 2nd Amendment . I have personally seen the genocide which the Pakistani army carried out after disarming the East Pakistani population ( now Bangladesh ) .
I agree wholeheartedly with you. A few friends of mine own Winchester Model 12 shot guns in 12 calibre , here in Bangladesh and they are extremely popular for deer and water fowl shooting . And of course , the hunt itself is the most important aspect of all , rather than the firearm .
I own 3 firearms myself and can legally own a total of 6 without taking special permission in Bangladesh . This is not the most sensible of firearms laws , but for a third world country which is less than 50 years into it's Independence , l think that we are taking steps in the right direction , because 4 years later BSF will start authorizing the import of .45 ACP , 20 calibre and .30-06 Springfield calibre fire arms and ammunition . While it is still nothing to boast about ,
I think that this is at least better than many other Asian countries , where the firearms laws border on the verge of autism . For instance , in South Korea fire arms are sadly completely banned , and in India , imported fire arms are completely restricted .

Thank you so much , Ridge Walker , for enjoying my article . I am an avid supporter of America's fire arms laws and the 2nd Amendment . I have personally seen the genocide which the Pakistani army carried out after disarming the East Pakistani population ( now Bangladesh ) .
I agree wholeheartedly with you. A few friends of mine own Winchester Model 12 shot guns in 12 calibre , here in Bangladesh and they are extremely popular for deer and water fowl shooting . And of course , the hunt itself is the most important aspect of all , rather than the firearm .
I own 3 firearms myself and can legally own a total of 6 without taking special permission in Bangladesh . This is not the most sensible of firearms laws , but for a third world country which is less than 50 years into it's Independence , l think that we are taking steps in the right direction , because 4 years later BSF will start authorizing the import of .45 ACP , 20 calibre and .30-06 Springfield calibre fire arms and ammunition . While it is still nothing to boast about ,
I think that this is at least better than many other Asian countries , where the firearms laws border on the verge of autism . For instance , in South Korea fire arms are sadly completely banned , and in India , imported fire arms are completely restricted .
Friend Ponton
Another well written story. I find it disappointing that Eley lethal ball is no longer available. They indeed sound like an awesome cartridge. Eley produced other fine cartridges for the 12 bore.
I to still have an old rifle gifted me by my father. A single shot Anshultz 22 cal. It has to be manually cocked for each shot. I have fitted a red dot scope so I can still use it now and then. My father was given the rifle with a broken bolt handle and replaced it with the one in the photo while he was an armourer in the RAAF. I learned to shoot with this rifle from the age of 5. Fifty six years ago. I will pass it on to my son or daughter both keen shooters so they can hopefully teach their children..
Cheers friend Ponton
Bob Nelson
20200201_135450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Friend Ponton
Another well written story. I find it disappointing that Eley lethal ball is no longer available. They indeed sound like an awesome cartridge. Eley produced other fine cartridges for the 12 bore.
I to still have an old rifle gifted me by my father. A single shot Anshultz 22 cal. It has to be manually cocked for each shot. I have fitted a red dot scope so I can still use it now and then. My father was given the rifle with a broken bolt handle and replaced it with the one in the photo while he was an armourer in the RAAF. I learned to shoot with this rifle from the age of 5. Fifty six years ago. I will pass it on to my son or daughter both keen shooters so they can hopefully teach their children..
Cheers friend Ponton
Bob Nelson View attachment 328295
For a rifle of that age , it looks exceptionally well maintained , Bob ! It shall make a perfect gift for your young 1s .
The Eley Lethal Ball cartridges were manufactured by Eley until 1956 . All the Eley Lethal Ball cartridges which l used were old stock , which were still being sold by Eley until the mid 1960s when all the existing stocks were exhausted. On soft skinned game , the Eley Lethal Ball cartridges worked like a charm ! Think of it like a hollow point fragmenting bullet... but for shot guns . The Eley Lethal Ball bullets were capable of causing devastating damage to the vital organs of any soft skinned game .It would break apart , into 8 separate pieces inside the animal .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross