Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA, RMEF
Hunted
USA, Namibia
I've been searching around for some good Africa hunting books and I've finally made it through a few of them.

Green Hills of Africa - Ernest Hemingway - This is an account of his first safari to Africa in the 1930s. As an adventure story it's great. He captures the essence of the thrill of hunting and sharing good times with good people. The book builds to the suspense of finally getting a nice Kudu, which he had a difficult time accomplishing. This is probably the definition of a "classic safari" in many people's minds.

The Man-eaters of Tsavo - John Patterson - The story of these lions is told in the film "The Ghost and the Darkness" I've visited these lions twice in the Field Museum in Chicago. Reading the book was of course better than the movie. For once, real-life events were probably more gruesome than what was portrayed in the film. This book isn't terribly too long and goes on to describe several of Patterson's lion hunts after he finally got the two Man-eaters.

African Game Trails - Theodore Roosevelt - I've finished about 60% of this one. This is a first-hand account of ex-president Roosevelt's year-long hunting/collecting trip to East Africa exactly 100 years ago. His take on life is refreshing and interesting, if a bit dated. I have a greater respect for the man, but it's probably a good thing that times have moved on. The adventures do make for an enjoyable read. His hunting party consisted of at least 200 people and he shipped most of what he shot back to the Smithsonian. Reading between the lines it seems that the real purpose of the trip was to do a safari in monumental style while getting the fat cats of the day to fund the trip "for the museum". His usual technique was to throw lead until something was wounded and then run it down for several miles on horseback to finish it off. He must have gone through several thousand rounds during his trip.

Under Kilimanjaro - Ernest Hemingway - I haven't started this one yet. So little time.......

Those three (and others, including all of Robert Ruark's books) are the basics for anyone interested in African hunting literature, of course, but as you mentioned about "African Game Trails," all are terribly dated. There are dozens of excellent contemporary books written by professional hunters/outfitters and international hunters that you should consider. The two major publishers of this genre are Trophy Room Books and Safari Press. Both are based in California and have websites listing their titles.

Bill Quimby

Bill,

I'll eventually work my way toward more modern stuff, but for enjoyment of good litterature, it's pretty hard to beat the old classics. Those old guys went up against some pretty nasty critters in some pretty primitive conditions without much backup. There was no air evacuation or satellite phone. Life today has gotten a bit too soft IMO.

Bryce,

All books you mentioned are great reads, do get hold of Capsticks writings too , real good accounts of great hunting days in Africa are depicted.

Monish

Bill's too modest to mention he's a helluva a writer and has a book, "Sixty Years A Hunter," for sale. It's a very good read with plenty of African hunting adventures. Better yet...he's still alive which makes getting an autographed copy far less expensive and more convenient than some other books mentioned;)

Just finnished bills book, a great read and a great life

Badger,

How do I procure one ??? any links ?

Monish

Monish,
You can find Bill Qimby's book "Sixty Years A Hunter" by clicking here.

Monish if you are inquiring about a link for Bill Quimby's new book...
Bill Quimby's book link
Should you purchase this excellent autobiography you will not be disappointed.

Last edited:
Jerome,

Thanks a lot Safari Press is ultimate for hunters.

Monish

my book

If you are interested in an autographed copy, please email me at

billRquimby@frontiernet. net

Bill Quimby

Bill,

Mailed you .

Monish

Hunting Icons of Africa by Peter Flack

This is the new book of Peter Flack, very good, we learn many things.
you can find it on Rowland Ward web site.

Attachments

• IMG_2072.jpg
    IMG_2072.jpg
    495.5 KB · Views: 187

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!