Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Idaho, Texas, Louisiana
Anyone ever load these? They sure seem like they'd be good medicine for feral hogs. The published data on them looks an awful lot like published loads for Hornady FTX 325 gr for 45-70, with about another 100-150 fps velocity out of the 9.3x62, and of course way higher SD in the 9.3 bullet.

You should be able to anchor them with that. I use a 223 with a 62gr Barnes, it kills them pretty dead.

Just to note, I am not being critical at all of the choice, it was more to point out, you can't go wrong with your choice of caliber or your load.

You should be able to anchor them with that. I use a 223 with a 62gr Barnes, it kills them pretty dead.

Just to note, I am not being critical at all of the choice, it was more to point out, you can't go wrong with your choice of caliber or your load.

I've killed more than a few with 22 LR and 17 HMR. It isn't the 10 yard shots I have in mind. ;)

I just think it would be fun to work up a "hog load" for the old 9-3

You sort of get to a point where you've got a bunch of guns that will all work for the same job. After that it's "hmmm...what do I want to take for THIS trip." And the older I get, the more I become a fan of "slow and heavy." :D

I have shot the 300gr A-frames but haven't had any of the heavier bullets to play with. Will be interesting to hear what folks who have loaded them have for data.

I've killed more than a few with 22 LR and 17 HMR. It isn't the 10 yard shots I have in mind. ;)

I just think it would be fun to work up a "hog load" for the old 9-3

You sort of get to a point where you've got a bunch of guns that will all work for the same job. After that it's "hmmm...what do I want to take for THIS trip." And the older I get, the more I become a fan of "slow and heavy." :D

No doubt about that, most all of us could cover entire hunting needs with 3-4 firearms, but none of us want to.

I've opted for a 286 gr. pill in my 9.3x62. Either a Hornady IL or Nosler Partition. I did a buffalo hunt (North American) and used it. That Partition at 2,500 fps punched through both sides...as did the second.

I don't know if I'd bother with any other bullet, even on Cape Buff.

The rifle I have that's taken the most Texas Hogs is a .257 Roberts with a 117 SGK at 2,800 fps. They just don't need a whole lotta killing.

Don't let that stop you from using what you want! A 320gr pill in a 9.3 most definitely will do the job.

286 gn @ 2500 in a 9.3x62.
not a bad load.
that would be good for 300 yds with a 200 zero if you were familiar with its trajectory further out, on all but very big game.
might be more generally effective than 300+ gn bullets.
in all honesty, that bullet wt has a s.d. of .3, and if you need more bullet you need more gun.
the 320 gn bullets are an attempt to make more of the calibre than it really is, and that is with cup/core bullets.
the single most effective pig bullet i have used is a 308 with 150 gn bullets, and that includes a failure with a nosler partition in a 338 mag, and a 200 gn 358 win.
270 win with 130 gn sierras has also been a good pig killer.
bruce.

Last edited:
After that it's "hmmm...what do I want to take for THIS trip.” And the older I get, the more I become a fan of "slow and heavy." :D

I totally understand. I’ve been taking my .450 out on night walks looking for pigs despite a scoped rifle being far better for use with a torch and chances are I’d be able to shoot more with a scoped rifle. But that’s not the point is it? It’s nice using THAT gun, the one you want.

Agreed on heavy and slow. Been getting the job done since the invention of firearms :D

I've opted for a 286 gr. pill in my 9.3x62. Either a Hornady IL or Nosler Partition. I did a buffalo hunt (North American) and used it. That Partition at 2,500 fps punched through both sides...as did the second.

I don't know if I'd bother with any other bullet, even on Cape Buff.

The rifle I have that's taken the most Texas Hogs is a .257 Roberts with a 117 SGK at 2,800 fps. They just don't need a whole lotta killing.

Don't let that stop you from using what you want! A 320gr pill in a 9.3 most definitely will do the job.

Wow - 2,500 with a 286grainer is excellent!

I have a 9.3 on order and would love that kind of velocity

Sure, Happy to share the data. This data comes originally from John Barnsness, aka, Mule Deer. John developed this load to meet the necessary energy requirements for Cape Buff in Zimbabwe (*and it juuuuuust gets there).

Please note; this data is well over book data. Please approach the limits cautiously. I get some case expansion but no primer indications of overpressure. Brass drops out with no stickiness (*which is the bane for my rifle). For safety, I use NEW unfired brass.

My rifle: Merkel Helix (*very strong action). 22" barrel.
Chrono: MagnetoSpeed II
Actual chrono'd velocity: 2,500 (on the button).
Bullet: 286 gr. Nosler Partion
Powder: Ramshot Big Game, 66.0 grains (I worked up from 60 gr., book max is listed at 62 gr.)
Primer: RWS Large.
OAL: 3.21"

100 yard targets (2" red-oval bull)
upload_2018-10-31_9-54-28.png

upload_2018-10-31_10-3-31.png

PS: as a reference point, I get 2,250 fps on Prvi Partisan 285 gr. factory ammo.

I just started working up loads for NAB 250 with Big Game. Going to go shoot them this weekend. I have some Partitions waiting to get loaded up, too.

I'll let you guys know. According to Ramshot, I should be able to exceed 2600 with the NABs. We'll see about that.

Hornady

The 320gr Woodleigh was designed for use in the much larger cased 360 no2 round. Not sure what the idea is behind the Oryx.

As with all calibre/ bullet combinations there is a happy medium between weight and velocity. Out of the 62mm case the calibre reaches its maximum potential with a 286gr bullet at 2300fps, give and take some, ie 250-300gr at 2500-2200 fps. Trying to push a 325/320gr premium bullet at enough of a velocity to open reliably from the 9,3x63 is a bit of a tall order.

The 320gr Woodleigh was designed for use in the much larger cased 360 no2 round. Not sure what the idea is behind the Oryx.

As with all calibre/ bullet combinations there is a happy medium between weight and velocity. Out of the 62mm case the calibre reaches its maximum potential with a 286gr bullet at 2300fps, give and take some, ie 250-300gr at 2500-2200 fps. Trying to push a 325/320gr premium bullet at enough of a velocity to open reliably from the 9,3x63 is a bit of a tall order.

At the distances I hunt feral hogs (under 75 yards), 320/325 will open up well enough with MV of 2200-2250. I've gotten to where I like to plug the nasty critters with my 45-70 and 425 gr hard-cast at about 1650, too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vilianagmp

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg