9.3x62 or something else??

My sons and I have used all three calibers, 8x57(160TTSX), 9.3x62(250TTSX) & .375H&H(300TSX), on Plains Game large and small in Namibia. None were found wanting and none outshined the other two. If you want the 9.3x62, which is a great cartridge, then I think I would re-barrel it instead of reboring it. I also think the simplest solution, if you want only a standard size action is to get a .375 Ruger. That way you will have all your bases covered for both Plains Game and Dangerous Game anywhere in Africa.

I have several 9.3x62's and have shot more game in africa with a 9.3 (x62 bolt gun or x74 double rifle) than any other caliber. It is a very well balanced round that in a modern action with modern powders and bullets make it capable of DG hunting. You must also remember that the 9.3/375 class of rounds are great killing rounds for thick skinned DG but not stopping rounds.

I looked at the 9.3x64 but the components are much harder to source so i went with the 9.3x62. If I felt the need for more than I can get out of a x62 i would build a 375/9.3 ruger wildcat.

My rifles have a long throat so I can load the bullets to the length of the magizine. I load to modern pressures 60KPSI in my rifles (All are modern) in the FN with a 25 in barrel I am getting 2752fps with a 250 gr accubond. Also load 286, 300, 320 gr bullets that all produce over 4000Lbs of muzzle energy. If I feel that I need more I will take a 416,404,458, or 500 class of rifle.

The two best powder I have found for the x62 is RL-17 and Big Game. I have heard good things about CFE223 but haven't had time to test any loads with it.

You can't go wrong with any of the rounds that are mentioned in this thread. See what you can source rounds and reloading components for the easiest in your area. Have the 8mm rebored and go hunt something.
@AZDAVE
It's good to see I'm not the only mad bastard around that is willing to load old cartridges to their FULL POTENTIAL. Yes it can be done SAFELY in modern rifles and you end up with an entirely different beast.
Congratulations on your wisdom to experiment with such things.
I would only use our loads in a strong bolt action it wouldn't end well trying to do the same to a beautiful 9.3x74. That would be insane.
Many may scoff at us and call us hotrodders but to me we are SAFE experimenters will to give the old a new life.
Bob

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen only in my x62 in my double I have a couple nice loads with 286 and 300gr Aframes and comparable solids that regulate at around 2380fps and are way below the SAMI specs. As you know double are a different beast altogether. If my 9.3x74 double isn't enough I will take the 500/416 double.

I started out using 4895 in my loads but have since switched to RL17 under 250 grain Bowler accubond's. Great caliber and got it in a CZ550 FS with Mannlicher full stock. Higher velocity and great accuracy. Good luck and give us a hunting report when you can.

I would like to reinforce the 9.3x62 followers, I have two! My loads achieved 2530fps with 320gn Woodleighs & 2620fps with 286gn Woodleighs using Re17. Pressures on both these loads were less than the listed maximum Varget (AR2208) load which I used extensively! Everyone needs a favourite....

He
My sons and I have used all three calibers, 8x57(160TTSX), 9.3x62(250TTSX) & .375H&H(300TSX), on Plains Game large and small in Namibia. None were found wanting and none outshined the other two. If you want the 9.3x62, which is a great cartridge, then I think I would re-barrel it instead of reboring it. I also think the simplest solution, if you want only a standard size action is to get a .375 Ruger. That way you will have all your bases covered for both Plains Game and Dangerous Game anywhere in Africa.
Hey thanks for the input I was just gonna post on here that I spoke to the gentleman that does the rebore job and he actually directed me the same route to the 375 ruger and going with the 9.3x62 and I have a couple rifles I will send to him for the work. He does a great job and has a good reputation and actually he rebored a lever gun I have to 38-55. I’m thankful for the advice and looks like this has been the best place to come.

If you do build that rifle for africa. Make sure you dont go alone. You will want to split your ammo, half in your partners bag.
That ammo will be hard to find there. Nothing would kill your hunt like lost luggage and no ammo.
Just a suggestion.

Hey I am wondering about going possibly with a 416 Remington mag and spoke to a smith today about a possible rebarrel on one of my actions as I’m wondering if I went with 416 rm and the 9.3x62 I just wonder how hard the 416 rem mag is to reload for? And my options otherwise are to have the rifle rebored to 375 ruger instead of the h&h due to action length.

@WoodencrossIII, another vote for the 9.3X62, I have two also (but in two country's) & two 338/06 also very good but I think better at the lower end than the 9.3's

416 Rem is ok but I prefer .45 if going bigger myself .

Say are you talking to Jess of JES rebores if so how the heck do you do that as no email & ever time I call (like 20 times) I never can speak to him,I even wrote a letter once & that worked may have to do it again ?

Yep it’s JES reboring doing the work for me and I don’t know I just leave detailed messages for him and he calls me back but I used to live in the next door state above his state where he lives in Oregon so might be cuz a local number I think I may go the 375 ruger and 9.3 from jes reboring

If you do build that rifle for africa. Make sure you dont go alone. You will want to split your ammo, half in your partners bag.
That ammo will be hard to find there. Nothing would kill your hunt like lost luggage and no ammo.
Just a suggestion.

Well. lost luggage and no gun would be just as bad if not worse. :oops:

Well. lost luggage and no gun would be just as bad if not worse. :oops:
I would like to hopefully think that they put more care on a registered case.
I love my rifle. It would suck for the hunt. But ultimately, I would miss the rifle more than the hunting with a rental would hurt.

To be fair, most bags/rifles are not lost forever, just very badly timed & hard to locate which can GREATLY inconvenience your hunt !

On that when the Airlines lost one of my bags in Gaborone, I got a local to help me out the back to a huge locked shed & it was amazing room stacked to the roof with bags, so if any one lost a bag in Gaborone & wasn't reunited with it, I think its out the back !!

@WoodencrossIII, another vote for the 9.3X62, I have two also (but in two country's) & two 338/06 also very good but I think better at the lower end than the 9.3's

416 Rem is ok but I prefer .45 if going bigger myself .

Say are you talking to Jess of JES rebores if so how the heck do you do that as no email & ever time I call (like 20 times) I never can speak to him,I even wrote a letter once & that worked may have to do it again ?
Hey just curious I’m still
Kicking over the cartridge I’m wanting to get into mostly have decided the 375 ruger and after speaking to JES reboring this is what he told me he could rebore my 7mm rem mag to in a weatherby, the Mauser he won’t do. Which was gonna be a 9.3x62. I’m trying to decide if this would be the cartridge I’m looking for or should I send a ruger I have in 270 to rebore to the 9.3x62? I also am thinking of purchasing a ruger number 1 in 458 win mag but I’m not familiar with it. I have a bunch of 458 cast bullets that we’re going for a 45-70 I had but no longer have? I currently have a .375 caliber but it’s a very different round 38-55 is what it is in a lever gun. I’m just wondering what would serve me best as an African hunt maybe a ways off but it’s fun to dream and to have some big guns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg