Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
Moose, despite their size are not tough to kill. They are not tough animals.
This! My hunting crew and I have knocked down a mountain of moose over the years with .308s, .30-06s and 7mm Rem Mags and none ran further than 30 yards. I killed my 52 inch bull with my .308 and he didn't get that far. It's what I'll be hunting moose with again this fall.
For what it's worth, my warthog ran farther to a perfect shot than any of our mooses!

Milan

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Alberta, RSA
The only thing I've put through mine so far is Hornady 286 gr, but I'm dying to try Nosler 286 gr Partition, Swift 300 gr, Woodleigh 320 gr, and Norma 325 gr.

I've also experimented a lot with my 45-70. I've finally completely settled on Missouri Bullet Company 405 gr hard cast lead for practice, and Beartooth Bullets Piledriver (525 gr) and Piledriver, Junior (425 gr) for hunting.

The rest...once I landed on something that gave me sub-MOA accuracy, I stopped testing.
I have to admit I only shot Norma Oryx, Norma Alaskan, Remington SP, Sellier&Bellott RNSP and PRVI SP. All in 286gr except I think the Alaskan was 250gr (?). The 286's seem to all hit close to the same POI at 100. maybe an inch off or so, depending. I saved the brass and have dies and will load some Woodleighs eventually, just because I have them. But I think for moose, I would not be afraid to use even the Prvi stuff which seems to be the softest of the bunch.

Graham Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Alaska Canada US New Zealand Scotland South Africa Zimbabwe
Interesting I have shot PRVI, Hornady, and Nosler all 286gr. They all group within an inch of each other. I used the PRVI on my Moose last year and he didn't make 20 yds. I am taking it to SA in 19 but will have the Nosler 286 Part. in it.

markferrigno

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, Poland, Czech Republic, Hungary, Germany, Slovania
It must be that 9.3x62 is inherently accurate. I have pretty much the same results when trying different ammo of the same weight. I am taking it on my Moose hunt but only because I am also hunting Black Bear and the guide prefers the 9.3 over the .308 for larger wound channels.

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
@Windwalker

Midway has Nosler Partition 286 on clearance for $20 right now.

Tam Dl

AH veteran
Reaction score
If you are coming to Newf, and are worried about ammo. Get your guide to order a box from withing Canada. Tradeexcanada.com is my favourite supplier for 9.3x62 ammo, components for reloading, and second hand gun, barrels, and actions. Rare in Canada to find anything that "complete" in one place, but they must have got stuck with a load of stuff. I have no connection with them.

Barnes makes a lot of bullets for stuff like 30-30 and 45-70 that are not run away trains on velocity, and they tailor the dynamic to those velocity levels for those bullets. The 62 is the commercial sweet spot for 9.3s, so I would have no qualms about using a TSX on Moose. I have loaded Prvi having both black bears and moose on my property, and am just getting going on load development. Unfortuntely in NB owning the property doesn't mean you can hunt it, so I can't give any reports.

My thinking on the Prvi is even if it separates into two parts, the core is enough to do the job. And while we are at it, imagine what it feels like to use your ribs and lungs to separate a 286 grain bullet at 2350 fps, you have to invest a lot of tissue into tearing the jacket from the core. Think it is difficult to open those clam shell packets everything that hangs on a hook is sold in these days... I has to be tougher to peel apart a 286 Prvi.

That said, you have to have an idea of what performance you are looking for. I am hunting for meat, so I want to blow through the lungs with the shortest wound channel. It is game over when an arrow from a 50 lb traditional bow takes that path let alone a bullet with significant killing power. But if you want to back up a client who botched the shot from any angle; or drop a moose from any raking angle that takes off with a medium wound after a deflection of the your original shot; or you need to be able to deal with large bears that may also be in the area, then something other than a TSX might be the ticket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlorrieVar

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Tally-Ho Hunting Safaris wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.
Lkhntr wrote on Warpig602's profile.
On the vx6 2-12 what does the zl2 stand for?

Thanks, Oliver
bowjijohn wrote on AfricaHunting.com's profile.
Many thanks for re formatting my article for the forum

I served my time in both the bush and during the bush war

I hope it did it justice

Education is where it is at - without it the wild places are history

You - sir - are well placed to make a difference

J