9.3x62 bullet choice for Moose

Moose, despite their size are not tough to kill. They are not tough animals.
This! My hunting crew and I have knocked down a mountain of moose over the years with .308s, .30-06s and 7mm Rem Mags and none ran further than 30 yards. I killed my 52 inch bull with my .308 and he didn't get that far. It's what I'll be hunting moose with again this fall.
For what it's worth, my warthog ran farther to a perfect shot than any of our mooses!

The only thing I've put through mine so far is Hornady 286 gr, but I'm dying to try Nosler 286 gr Partition, Swift 300 gr, Woodleigh 320 gr, and Norma 325 gr.

I've also experimented a lot with my 45-70. I've finally completely settled on Missouri Bullet Company 405 gr hard cast lead for practice, and Beartooth Bullets Piledriver (525 gr) and Piledriver, Junior (425 gr) for hunting.

The rest...once I landed on something that gave me sub-MOA accuracy, I stopped testing.
I have to admit I only shot Norma Oryx, Norma Alaskan, Remington SP, Sellier&Bellott RNSP and PRVI SP. All in 286gr except I think the Alaskan was 250gr (?). The 286's seem to all hit close to the same POI at 100. maybe an inch off or so, depending. I saved the brass and have dies and will load some Woodleighs eventually, just because I have them. But I think for moose, I would not be afraid to use even the Prvi stuff which seems to be the softest of the bunch.

Interesting I have shot PRVI, Hornady, and Nosler all 286gr. They all group within an inch of each other. I used the PRVI on my Moose last year and he didn't make 20 yds. I am taking it to SA in 19 but will have the Nosler 286 Part. in it.

It must be that 9.3x62 is inherently accurate. I have pretty much the same results when trying different ammo of the same weight. I am taking it on my Moose hunt but only because I am also hunting Black Bear and the guide prefers the 9.3 over the .308 for larger wound channels.

@Windwalker

Midway has Nosler Partition 286 on clearance for $20 right now.

If you are coming to Newf, and are worried about ammo. Get your guide to order a box from withing Canada. Tradeexcanada.com is my favourite supplier for 9.3x62 ammo, components for reloading, and second hand gun, barrels, and actions. Rare in Canada to find anything that "complete" in one place, but they must have got stuck with a load of stuff. I have no connection with them.

Barnes makes a lot of bullets for stuff like 30-30 and 45-70 that are not run away trains on velocity, and they tailor the dynamic to those velocity levels for those bullets. The 62 is the commercial sweet spot for 9.3s, so I would have no qualms about using a TSX on Moose. I have loaded Prvi having both black bears and moose on my property, and am just getting going on load development. Unfortuntely in NB owning the property doesn't mean you can hunt it, so I can't give any reports.

My thinking on the Prvi is even if it separates into two parts, the core is enough to do the job. And while we are at it, imagine what it feels like to use your ribs and lungs to separate a 286 grain bullet at 2350 fps, you have to invest a lot of tissue into tearing the jacket from the core. Think it is difficult to open those clam shell packets everything that hangs on a hook is sold in these days... I has to be tougher to peel apart a 286 Prvi.

That said, you have to have an idea of what performance you are looking for. I am hunting for meat, so I want to blow through the lungs with the shortest wound channel. It is game over when an arrow from a 50 lb traditional bow takes that path let alone a bullet with significant killing power. But if you want to back up a client who botched the shot from any angle; or drop a moose from any raking angle that takes off with a medium wound after a deflection of the your original shot; or you need to be able to deal with large bears that may also be in the area, then something other than a TSX might be the ticket.

The Swift A-Frame is my favorite bonded core / premium soft.
(Great minds think alike).

I doubt it needs improvement but if it does, the only improvement I can think of would be to offer their heaviest ones in each caliber with a blunt (round nose) shape like they already do in their 500 gr soft for the .470 NE.

Again though, their regular ones (semi spitzer) are so extremely effective that my point (pardon the pun) is probably pointless.

"If it works, don't fix it".
@Velo Dog
Paul the only way the y could improve them is to produce more/ sell more for a lower cost so more people could afford them.
I for one would buy them if they were the same price as partitions but $180 for 50 in 35 cal is a bit rich for my blood. Even Woodleigh a 66 bucks for 50 is reasonable value.

In resurrecting an old thread, I wish Sierra would produce their Gameking bullets at ~240gr with their Softpoint Boat Tail.

Be a great moose and deer bullet that I think for 9.3x62

@Velo Dog
Paul the only way the y could improve them is to produce more/ sell more for a lower cost so more people could afford them.
I for one would buy them if they were the same price as partitions but $180 for 50 in 35 cal is a bit rich for my blood. Even Woodleigh a 66 bucks for 50 is reasonable value.
Indeed A-Frames are expensive for sure.

Indeed A-Frames are expensive for sure.
Aren't they just my friend, and it's worse here in the UK. I was recently wondering about using Swift A-Frames for hunting in a .44 mag lever action.

1616345757800.png

Currently the Swift website advertises these for:

1616345924571.png

So, at today's exchange rate of: $1.39 = £1.00

1616346226666.png

Virtually twice the price here in Merry Olde Englande. I appreciate we are a smaller market and have import costs. But nearly twice the price is robbery.

Scrummy

Aren't they just my friend, and it's worse here in the UK. I was recently wondering about using Swift A-Frames for hunting in a .44 mag lever action.

View attachment 394022

View attachment 394023

View attachment 394027

Virtually twice the price here in Merry Olde Englande. I appreciate we are a smaller market and have import costs. But nearly twice the price is robbery.

Scrummy
That is painful.
I do however feel a bit of your pain.
Here in Alaska, we pay extortion prices for shipping.
Once I tried to buy a particular electric drill via the Internet, from a company in Minnesota, at $60. US dollars.
They wanted to add on over $100. for shipping to Anchorage.
They kept their drill and I kept my money.
Then I bought the exact same drill in a local Anchorage hardware store instead.
Can’t remember exactly what I paid for it any more but it was somewhere around $90. - $100. shelf price.
They bloody our noses pretty well up here but it looks like they like to hit you even harder.

View attachment 394022

View attachment 394023

View attachment 394027

Scrummy
@ scrumbag
Your lucky mate I was looking at the 280 grain Aframe for my 444 marlin 10 years,ago and even back then they were dearer here in OZ than they are for you now.
Try the 225 grain Barnes TSX in your mag for deer.
Bob

late in the battle but living in the yukon as well i do like the oryx and woodleigh for moose. i tried only the oryx as well on bison and they worked,. the stronger bullet may be great but if you have another moose or cow not far you may hit a second with too much penetration ... something to think about.

I really enjoy my 9.3x62. I have settled on the 286 Nosler Partition for everything. I've had good accuracy with every bullet I've tried including the 250 Accubond and 270 grain Speer Hot Cor (most accurate). It's been a easy cartridge to load for in my experience and has not been at all tempermental. I would consider this a 250-300yd rifle which for me covers everything (BTW I'm not a sheep hunter!) I think this is a very suitable cartridge for Alaska and I don't regret buying mine at all - plus it has an interesting history.

Hard to argue with a Partition in most cases.
@Scrumbag
Scrummy I ain't seen any game say geeze I wish he used a different bullet. The 9.3 like the 35 Whelen just plain works well even with the old cup and cores.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg