9.3mm Bullet wts vs Game wts

Hi Bruce.

With your addition there are now three of us, ironically all from Aus, shooting the 9.3x64.

You, Sambarhunter and myself.

I picked up a 9.3x62 in January this year, so I haven't hunted with it yet. 250 gr is probably enough pill for everything you might hunt down there except water buffalo.

9.3x64 matches 338win mag and 375 H&H almost exactly in the 250 gr bullets, at least on Nosler data. My swift data also shows 250 gr a-frames in 2600-2700 fps territory.

I have hunted diker-Blue wildebeest in a 9.3x74 and 9.3x62 with 250 Accubon's at 2380 and 2600fps. One only my water buck needing more than one shot, but the first shot was deflected. Since the A-frame is a tougher bullet you should have no problems with any of that class of animals.

My Eland and sable where take with 300gr A-frames from my 9.3x74 at 2380 at 75 meters. The eland was shot perfect on the shoulder it went ten meters and wobbled back 10 meters and dropped. Broke the shoulder took out heart and lungs and the bullet was found just under the skin on the opposite shoulder.

I have only shot 286's on paper but have a load with the 286 a-frame and matching swift solid that regulate to the same POI that will go on the next adventure

In your 9.3x64 i would feel comfortable with any of the plains game as a target, just put that first shot in the proper spot and enjoy the backstraps over the brai.

WRT Barnes bullets...seems like 2K fps is the minimum impact velocity for reliable expansion. I've been told by Barnes engineers that they'll reliable expand much lower than that, but field reports don't tend to support that. I expect they'd work pretty well in a 9.3x64, but it sure seems like you'll have to give up a bit of range for them to be effective since they eat up more case capacity than traditional jacketed bullets.

yes that is an issue with barnesx.
the 286 gn 9.3 mm bullet really uses case capacity due to length.
this length also raises the question of required rifling twist for stability during penetration.
going to the 250 gn barnes gives more case capacity, but in certain circumstances is it enough bullet?
this is where the 286 and 300 gn swift come into their own.
bruce.

one thought with the 9.3x64 is to use a 375 length acton.
this would be purely to load the 286 gn barnes such that the bullet is seated to a sensible depth in the case.
is the bullet of sufficient value to go to the hassle when that length action will use the 375 h&h anyway?
bruce.

can't help tinkering with my 9.3x62. The missus got me a Norma reloading manual for my birthday, and I just ordered the Woodleigh today to go along with the Swift manual I got about a month ago.

Oryx 325 gr looks like an interesting load - same mass and ~velocity as Hornady FTX for my 45-70, but with a much higher SD and BC. Might have to give that one a go on the feral hogs around here. I expect about the same thing out of the Woodleigh 320 gr RN.

I've got some load data from Ramshot for the Woodleigh at 2375 fps. I doubt that, but 2250 would certainly be nice.

There's a really long thread at 24hrcampfire on 9.3x62 reloading. A lot of those guys are completely sold on Big Game for 9.3x62, they go together like peanut butter and jelly.

BLC-2 is also a great powder for the 9.3, good velocity with lower pressure. Some guys getting 2500 fps with a 285gr projectile.

I've heard that, but I already have Varget, 2000-MR, and Big Game in the cabinet. ;)

I'm getting 2420 with 62 gr of 2000-MR and 286 gr Hornady. Max published is 62.4, so I expect another .4 gr won't improve velocity much beyond that. And truthfully, 286 gr at 2420 is quite a thumping on my shoulder, at least sitting at a shooting bench.

My Zastava is a bit heavier than that, but not heavy enough to blunt the @$$ whipping I get by about the 20th to 25th shot.

I’m having a Dakota Model 10 built in 9.3x62 right now. I have told Dakota that I want it to weight approximately 8 1/2 pounds without the scope and I’m having a 1” pachmayr decelerator pad installed. Does that sound about right based on your guys experience? I have a Ruger No 1 in 9.3x62 and at 7 1/4 pounds without the scope and it is just too light.

I'd say it depends on what kind of reloading you're doing. At 2200 fps and 286 gr bullets, my Zastava Mauser is fun to shoot. But that extra 200 fps...

Given powders like 2000-MR and Big Game and RL17 (maybe RL15), 2500+ fps and 286 or 300 gr bullets is on the table. 2600+ is do-able for 250 gr pills. The actions are perfectly capable of handling that, but they aren't as heavy as 375s. I'm going to have maybe 10-12 ozs added to my Zastava this fall or winter, plus a Limbsaver or Pachmeyer. I'm not worried about the field, but load development is challenging, given these possibilities. With my current setup, 20-25 rds is my limit for a day. I know that isn't 416 territory, but it is a consideration.

If you're happy at 2250-2300, 8 1/2 lbs should be fine. If you want to push it, well, it sort of depends on how recoil-sensitive you are. Shoot a light-weight 338 WM pushing 250 gr at 2600 +/-. Same thing.

All that, I wouldn't trade my 9.3 for anything.

I plan to reload the 286 gr to 2350 and the 250 gr to 2500. With the scope installed the rifle should tip the scales at just over 9 1/2 pounds.

Hi Bruce.

With your addition there are now three of us, ironically all from Aus, shooting the 9.3x64.

You, Sambarhunter and myself.
Make that four; another Aussie. I'll be setting up for Nosler Accubond 250s, and for the BIGGER animals, Woodleigh 320s. The should make 2400 fps....

four trandsetters from down under.
i am hoping to try some 300 gn swift aframes soon on camels.
possibly the 286 aframes would perform the same on this sized animals.
286 noslers have proven unrelaible and incosistent in terminal performance at around 2600, even though they have a good b.c.
250 swift and barnes will be interesting to compare in the future.
i think for buffalo, oz and african, the 300 swift might be one of the better choices.
for lighter game and where flatter trajectory is useful, the controlled 250s are of interest.
the 235ish bullets would do a serious job on pigs and deer.
bruce.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg