Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I'd say you have the rifle weight and loads about right. You could probably go down to 9lb and be fine, especially in the field when you don't seem to notice the recoil as much.
Thanks stug, I appreciate the input. I'm having fun playing with the new (to me) caliber!

PaulT

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
Hunted
Aus. N.Z & Zim.
Make that four; another Aussie. I'll be setting up for Nosler Accubond 250s, and for the BIGGER animals, Woodleigh 320s. The should make 2400 fps....

Awesome, the more the merrier !

I have only recently sighted mine in with a load developed using the 250gn T.S.X's.

I have no need to "stretch" mine in to buffalo hunting, so the lighter bullets suit me fine. My rifle shoots the 250' in to less than an inch routinely and at 2700fps they should prove dynamite on most soft skinned game.

The 9.3x64mm is really growing on me.

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
what game do you guys intend using 250s on?
the barnes would probably handle bigger game than the accubond?
bruce.

I imagine it'll work pretty well on anything in North America, including brown bear. It's certainly more than enough for everything else.

Hammergun

AH senior member
Reaction score
I took a 9.3x62mm to South Africa. 286 grain A-frames at 2500 fps thumped everything I shot at. I added weight to a Husqvarna Mauser to make it weigh 9 1/2 lbs. Comfortable to shoot and not to much to carry. I really like that rifle.

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
I took a 9.3x62mm to South Africa. 286 grain A-frames at 2500 fps thumped everything I shot at. I added weight to a Husqvarna Mauser to make it weigh 9 1/2 lbs. Comfortable to shoot and not to much to carry. I really like that rifle.

Do you mind sharing your load? I’m just working up loads for mine.

sgt_zim

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, Houston Safari Club Foundation, NWTF
Hunted
Texas, Louisiana
Do you mind sharing your load? I’m just working up loads for mine.

WAB, I've got a sheet from Western Powders for Big Game and the 9.3. If you're comfortable with the Woodleigh reloading manual, you'll be fine with this data sheet - they're showing 2500+ for 286 gr.

I bought some Big Game, but it has been too hot, and too many mosquitoes, in my reloading room to have worked up any loads. I'm also getting better than 2400 with sub-max load from Alliant Powerpro 2000MR

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Thanks for the help!

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I picked up a 9.3x62 in January this year, so I haven't hunted with it yet. 250 gr is probably enough pill for everything you might hunt down there except water buffalo.

9.3x64 matches 338win mag and 375 H&H almost exactly in the 250 gr bullets, at least on Nosler data. My swift data also shows 250 gr a-frames in 2600-2700 fps territory.
@Sgt Zim
I would have expected better out of the x64 and 375 as I get 2,700 out of the Whelen with 250 grainers.
Bob

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
I've heard that, but I already have Varget, 2000-MR, and Big Game in the cabinet. ;)

I'm getting 2420 with 62 gr of 2000-MR and 286 gr Hornady. Max published is 62.4, so I expect another .4 gr won't improve velocity much beyond that. And truthfully, 286 gr at 2420 is quite a thumping on my shoulder, at least sitting at a shooting bench.
@Sgt Zim
I'm the same with recoil off the bench but in the field I don't feel the recoil at all and dont even hear the rifle go off.
Bob

Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SSAA
Hunted
Australia
four trandsetters from down under.
i am hoping to try some 300 gn swift aframes soon on camels.
possibly the 286 aframes would perform the same on this sized animals.
286 noslers have proven unrelaible and incosistent in terminal performance at around 2600, even though they have a good b.c.
250 swift and barnes will be interesting to compare in the future.
i think for buffalo, oz and african, the 300 swift might be one of the better choices.
for lighter game and where flatter trajectory is useful, the controlled 250s are of interest.
the 235ish bullets would do a serious job on pigs and deer.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
Being the jet setting trend setters you all are mate next you know you'll be sitting around the campfire wearing footy socks and thongs (flip flops, jandals) and sipping chardonnay discussing the merits of the 9.3x64..
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReneeLear

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...
Boyd Brooks wrote on Skinnersblade's profile.
Ellwood Epps has 1 box of 25-20 in stock. Look them up on the web. They are located in Orilla Ontario.