9.3 x 62 and the 320 grain Weldcore

About the cannelure...in my experience, it's more of a suggestion on seating depth. When I reload Hornady bullets, the cannelure is well above the mouth. 9.3 is such a forgiving round, as long as it fits in the magazine and comes up even a skosh short of the lands, they'll shoot with a good degree of precision.

It has been a while since I did LD for my 9.3 with Hornady 286 and Varget, but if you seat the bullets to the cannelure, you're really limited on the powder charge. Seems like anything north of about 56 or 57 grains, if you didn't crimp with the seating die, you were going to have problems.

9.3x62 is just begging for ball powders like 2000MR and Big Game, at least with 285 gr or heavier bullets. In my experience, I'd go so far as to say if you're using anything other than those 2 powders for 285/286 or heavier, you're doing it wrong, with RL17 being something of an exception.

I imagine if I did some experimenting with CFE223 or Win748, I'd probably add those as well. I've just completely given up on extruded stick powders for my 9.3. With 2000MR and Big Game, you should get NLT 2300 fps on any heavy bullet, and up to around 2500, without any pressure signs. I bet you could probably do that with CFE223 and Win748, I just haven't tried those with my 9.3. No real reason to from where I sit, as I have good loads for Hornady, Norma, Partition, and A Frame with 2000MR.

YMMV
@sgt_zim
Use a 2 foot drop tube to fill it up with H4350 and a 320gn .
I get 2,455fps with 62gn of H4350 in my Whelen with 310s.
Bob

About the cannelure...in my experience, it's more of a suggestion on seating depth. When I reload Hornady bullets, the cannelure is well above the mouth. 9.3 is such a forgiving round, as long as it fits in the magazine and comes up even a skosh short of the lands, they'll shoot with a good degree of precision.

It has been a while since I did LD for my 9.3 with Hornady 286 and Varget, but if you seat the bullets to the cannelure, you're really limited on the powder charge. Seems like anything north of about 56 or 57 grains, if you didn't crimp with the seating die, you were going to have problems.

9.3x62 is just begging for ball powders like 2000MR and Big Game, at least with 285 gr or heavier bullets. In my experience, I'd go so far as to say if you're using anything other than those 2 powders for 285/286 or heavier, you're doing it wrong, with RL17 being something of an exception.

I imagine if I did some experimenting with CFE223 or Win748, I'd probably add those as well. I've just completely given up on extruded stick powders for my 9.3. With 2000MR and Big Game, you should get NLT 2300 fps on any heavy bullet, and up to around 2500, without any pressure signs. I bet you could probably do that with CFE223 and Win748, I just haven't tried those with my 9.3. No real reason to from where I sit, as I have good loads for Hornady, Norma, Partition, and A Frame with 2000MR.

YMMV
varget and imr 4064 may disagree for your statement on the 320 grains bullets into the 9,3x62 but i never tried big game in it while having 2 boxes but varget is working so great.

YMMV

Thanks.

Still harvesting PPU brass and getting used to the rifle.

Decidedly not my .270 Winchester or 6.5x55mm.

8>)

2360-2400 fps MV for the 286 gr. should give me a max ordinate of ~ 3" high @ 100 for a 200 yard zero, and a foot low @ 300.

Figure that should be fine.

Hodgdon - says 59.0 gr. of Varget should do that.

A lot cooler load than ~ 63.0 gr. of Big Game.

The 320 gr. WWC look to be 2260-2300 fps, 1.5" high at 100 for a 150 yard zero, and ~4" low @200.

Maybe 56-8 gr. of Varget.

Dies are still in the box, as the power choice, and primer availability, have been an issue.

Red

Last edited:
We’ve got 325gr Oryx I’d anyone wants to try them

We’ve got 325gr Oryx I’d anyone wants to try them

Speaking of 9.3mm Oryx....I shot the 232gr I got from you into water jugs today. Impacted at just a hair over 2,400fps.

97% weight retention (224 gr) and a 70 cal (perfect) mushroom.

I just ordered 300 more!
IMG_2183.jpg

Speaking of 9.3mm Oryx....I shot the 232gr I got from you into water jugs today. Impacted at just a hair over 2,400fps.

I just ordered 300 more!View attachment 539304
How many jugs did it travel through?

How many jugs did it travel through?
4, stopped by the 5th.

That large frontal area creates a larger diameter permanent wound channel, but at the expense of some penetration.

I intend to use this bullet on short-range whitetails.

I would probably use the 286 if I were going after Elk or similar.

I just ordered 300 more!
Thanks for the order! I think you might have gotten the last of it (there might be one box left). We have a good amount of the 232 Vulkan for a great price though. I'm planning on keeping some of it for when I get a 9.3mm rifle of my own..

That being said, we have 9.3mm Swift A-Frame bullets in 286gr in stock as well as 300gr.

Additionally, we should be getting some .375 cal Norma Oryx bullets in tomorrow.

I just ordered 300 more!View attachment 539304
i did a test that i posted on nosler bullet test forum and got 5 jugs shots at 20 m and 220 gr remained ... i used 57 grains on imr 4064for the load. a very good bullet if you can find any.

i did a test that i posted on nosler bullet test forum and got 5 jugs shots at 20 m and 220 gr remained ... i used 57 grains on imr 4064for the load. a very good bullet if you can find any.
LOL - My load was 57.5gr 4064 in the X74R. My bullet was lying on the table between jugs 4 and 5. Front jug was only 20 feet from the muzzle.

So our tests/results were very similar.

I did just buy another 300, but I think @RAVEN ROCKS PRECISION has some left.

Only to help feeding. It is very lightweight and can be popped off easily if not required.
My AHR 450 Dakota fed the Hydro fine without the cap, so I removed them to avoid any potential "nonconformance" related to caps in the unlikely event one came off during recoil/feeding.

Not a likely occurrence, but I believe in the KISS rule!

My AHR 450 Dakota fed the Hydro fine without the cap, so I removed them to avoid any potential "nonconformance" related to caps in the unlikely event one came off during recoil/feeding.

Not a likely occurrence, but I believe in the KISS rule!
I use them in my 338WM, 375 H&H, 416RM and 450NE. No caps for me either. My 9.3x62 in a model70 won’t feed them smoothly without the cap but haven’t tried them with the cap on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DesmondU66

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross