8x68S owner's opinions

I wish I was as handy as you with all the projects you can do.
Rule303, most of the skills I taught myself , I found people who has skills are not always available to learn from. I am extremely fortunate to have a Mentor like Johan Greyling a gunsmith by trade and unbelievable skillful person whom I am able to learn gunsmith skills from and a lot of other skills as well. He is a great friend and mentor , I am fortunate to learn from the best.
Other projects/skills I taught myself although I do have a Technical skills background studying different Engineering subjects for four years , many years back .

I had a feeling it was something like that. Ah well … go forth young man. Will your trailer be hidden behind a row of trees when you do your old style hunts OR will that wait until your 70th birthday:unsure: :A Banana: :A Stirring:?
I already converted my luggage trailer , a seven feet Challenger trailer upgrading it , most important upgrade was the three 100 watt solar panels secured to the trailer lid with a National Luna deep cycle battery power box (the grey box) with a Victron MPPT 100/30 solar controller that is plugged into my Snomaster 80.5lt fridge /freezer in the trailer..this setup is a precursor to what my 4x4 Off road trailer will have installed on its roof rack with a 270 degree awning ( 2.4meter arms) as well as a shower cubicle build completely from stainless and aluminum.

This setup ( the solar panel) already tested while attending the 1885 era Black powder hunt this year. My wife and her sister stayed in an old German build hunting house without 220 or gas stayed just fine using only the solar set up...

Fortunately we have a 1885 Era hunting camp as well as a new age camp not too distant from the 1885 camp.....

I went back and pulled up this thread as I have 8x68S on the back burner. Have been rounding up items for the past few years:

8mm barrel short chambered in 8x68S, it is a LW. 26 1/2 inches long.

8x68S finish reamer, a new never used JGS. with floating pilot.

Reloading die set with a "Benchrest Seater", has the micrometer seat adjustment.

Some 80 or so new cases, Norma.

Bullets galore, a couple hundred Norma, and a big box containing 1000 185 grain Remington's designed for the 8mm Rem Mag. Plus 500 175 grainers (PSP) intended for the 8mm x 57.

Already on hand is a box full of M98 actions and several P14 and P17 Enfields. A Mark X Mauser is in the stash along with a couple M70 Winchesters. Leaning towards a M98 but others will be considered.

4 nice Walnut blanks to choose from.

And, found a set of like new 8x68S improved reamers & headspace gauge. 30-degree shoulder. Manson floating pilot reamers, a resizer and a finisher. For those that read German it is called an 8mm Hetzenauer

Now recovering from prostate cancer, the treatment went well. Awaiting right knee replacement, surgery in about 2 months.

So, when the medical issues are complete, I should be able to tackle this project.

Thanks to Gert Odendaal for all work in posting his build!

Anyone know how to print the whole thread? I would like to have a copy of everything for the bench when I start my build.

Last edited:
Oh, Yea, and a backyard retirement shop full of tools!

wRCIJhD.jpg
5uNj91l.jpg
61fyd47.jpg
EPTogQa.jpg
iT1Ctb1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a steyr manlicher in 8x68s - basically a .300 WM on steroids. Little bit larger diameter bullet. Ballistics are slightly worse, but muzzle energy is slightly higher. Can't go wrong with this caliber

Here is the gun. I have not had it re blued or restock as I want to keep it as original as possible. I also try not to use it too much in fear of wearing out the pipe. I now my old man sent many round through it.
P1020352.jpg

P1020350.jpg

The scope is an old Zeiss but still very good. You can only adjust it vertically. Horizontal adjustment is done on the claw mount.

My old man left it in Zambia with a friend before he passed away. 8 years later I collected it and took it to Denmark. When I test shot it in Denmark it was still spot on even after sitting that long!
That's a really cool rifle

Ammo and components can be a problem off and on was by take, so I packed it up and sent to another and opted for the 338 Win..I have an 8MM-06 Ackley IMP thats wasting away in the gun cabinet but I like the gun so at some point will rebarrel or rebore?? 9.3x64 maybe.

I use the S&B 196gn SPCE projectiles in RWS brass in mine, I didn’t have any issues getting component. Haven’t seen loaded ammo aside from RWS stuff I bought a few years ago
gumpy

Rule303, most of the skills I taught myself , I found people who has skills are not always available to learn from. I am extremely fortunate to have a Mentor like Johan Greyling a gunsmith by trade and unbelievable skillful person whom I am able to learn gunsmith skills from and a lot of other skills as well. He is a great friend and mentor , I am fortunate to learn from the best.
Other projects/skills I taught myself although I do have a Technical skills background studying different Engineering subjects for four years , many years back .
Gert I thought I would check in and ask how your 8x68s project is coming along. I also thought I would share some of the things I have done and am doing with the 8x68s. As you may know my 8x68s is a Blaser R8. It’s barrel is 24.75” and it has a 1:11 twist rate. It also has a fairly long throat so I am able to seat bullets a fair way out.

Currently I am playing with the 247gr Shock Hammer. It is a all copper bullet and is 1.657” long and the manufacturer recommends a 1:10.5 twist. Shooting at 100yds things look good. Now I plan on shooting at distance and through some milk jugs to see how well it does. Applying the manufacturers B.C. to the speed I am getting it could very well have a 500yd range.

Here are some pictures. The 220gr SGK is the load I used to take an elk with a few yrs ago. This load should be good for 500”yds. The 250gr Woodleigh should be good for around 250yds. I am also showing my 8mm RM with a 198gr Hammer for comparison. It does about 3050fps and took a nice elk at 585yds a couple of years ago.

IMG_0956.jpg
IMG_0957.jpg
IMG_0958.jpg
IMG_0959.jpg

Gert I thought I would check in and ask how your 8x68s project is coming along. I also thought I would share some of the things I have done and am doing with the 8x68s. As you may know my 8x68s is a Blaser R8. It’s barrel is 24.75” and it has a 1:11 twist rate. It also has a fairly long throat so I am able to seat bullets a fair way out.

Currently I am playing with the 247gr Shock Hammer. It is a all copper bullet and is 1.657” long and the manufacturer recommends a 1:10.5 twist. Shooting at 100yds things look good. Now I plan on shooting at distance and through some milk jugs to see how well it does. Applying the manufacturers B.C. to the speed I am getting it could very well have a 500yd range.

Here are some pictures. The 220gr SGK is the load I used to take an elk with a few yrs ago. This load should be good for 500”yds. The 250gr Woodleigh should be good for around 250yds. I am also showing my 8mm RM with a 198gr Hammer for comparison. It does about 3050fps and took a nice elk at 585yds a couple of years ago.
How did you find the SGK 220 to perform for you? Its the best shooting bullet in my 8x64s and seems to get to full speed easier as well.

I like the 220gr SGK. It probably has the best ballistics of the 8mm bullets. I have only taken two animals with it. One was a Mule deer and the other a young Elk. The Elk dropped to the shot at around 350-400yds. The Mule deer was around 70yds straight on. Shot at the base of the neck. The bullet took out about six inches of the neck/spineal column, decentigrated in the thorasic cavity. The Cavity was soup. Living in California I am trying to switch over to all copper bullets in the rifles I shoot.

I had planned to take my 8x64s to Africa this year, but plans have changed sadly. I was working on loads with the Barnes Triple Shock, and they show promise both in 180 and 200 gr, but dont shoot as well as the SGK does.

Have you tried 160gr TTSX? My son has used it, on two trips to Namibia, in his 8x57is and it never once disappointed him. He has taken Gemsbok, Kudu, Wildebeest and Zebra with it.
No I had not, I tend to like heavy for caliber bullets and a 160 is pretty light for 8mm though I have no doubt it is quite capable.
I sort of set 180 as minimum.

I’ve had good luck with VVN550 and RL16 in the 8x68s with 180gr TSX. Hammer Bullets make a lot of 8mm bullets. I have been shooting them of late and like them so far. They list ten different bullets weights, worth a look. I took a nice elk with there 198gr Hammer Hunter, in my 8mm RM, at a little under six hundred yds. DRT

But the 220gr SGK should be fine also. What kind of velocity are you getting with it.

I’ve had good luck with VVN550 and RL16 in the 8x68s with 180gr TSX. Hammer Bullets make a lot of 8mm bullets. I have been shooting them of late and like them so far. They list ten different bullets weights, worth a look. I took a nice elk with there 198gr Hammer Hunter, in my 8mm RM, at a little under six hundred yds. DRT

But the 220gr SGK should be fine also. What kind of velocity are you getting with it.
In my 8x64s I drive the 220 to 2730fps with a couple different powders. My rifle likes Hunter and Norma URP about best of anything.

That's impressive velocity. Is that out of a 24 inch barrel?

I have my 8mm-06 shooting 200gr Nosler Accubonds at just shy of 2800 fps with RE17. I was thinking on playing with the 220gr SGK. I've had several boxes on hand but never used them on game yet.

q7ATGnu.jpg

CdmqO1a.jpg

I have my 8mm-06 shooting 200gr Nosler Accubonds at just shy of 2800 fps with RE17. I was thinking on playing with the 220gr SGK. I've had several boxes on hand but never used them on game yet.

View attachment 591402

View attachment 591401
Yes, aZastava 98 Mauser rechambered from 8x57. Your load is not exactly a snoozer either.
I never tried much work with that Accubond, the Partitions shoot pretty well IIRC, but really the SGK shoots better than anything in my rifle.

View attachment 591402

View attachment 591401
Hmmm, a LGS here has a sporterized M98 with a 24" barrel, nice looking walnut stock, picatinny rail with scope rings in 8mm-06 for $392us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LavadaMacG

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.