8 x 60

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Europe
Gentlemen (and ladies)

I have a 1926 Merkel DR in 8 x 60 JRS. (.323) I obtained her as a bit of a basket case in 2008 and since then have sorted her out. Originally made as 8 x 57 JR (.318) and at some stage re-chambered and "let-out" to .323) . I also have had mounts made for a 4 x 32 Swaro fixed focus scope that mounts on the original claw mounts.

It took a while as I spend a lot of time working away from home so things get done slowly..
Ammo is made from 7 x 65 r brass that is cut down and reformed. (reforming dies from CH tool and die in the States) The rifle regulates perfectly with Sierra Pro-Hunter 175 grn SP bullets sitting over Varget powder. (2600fps)

I have enquired from a couple of outfitters based in RSA about the suitability of this rifle for a PG hunt (these guys were offering a package) , their responses were surprisingly negative, not so much the calibre (which was not commented on) but the fact a double was ….quote…."a bit old school"

I would be grateful if any members would care to comment on suitability of not only the calibre but also the double rifle platform as being suitable for PG. NB I am not interested in long distance "sniping", stalking is my thing. Surely if people bow hunt PG why would anyone have an issue with an 8mm DR?

Cheers

Ade

Attachments

• Merkel 8 x 60 3_zpsztjzices.jpg
    Merkel 8 x 60 3_zpsztjzices.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 328
The guys I hunt with loved when I brought my 318wr bsw shul double down last year ......so if you want a contact PM me and I will fix you up ......

I took a Kudu cull bull with mine and some warthogs ..... love shooting with a double ......

Absolutely nothing wrong with using this rifle to hunt PG in RSA or anywhere else for that matter. So, IF you had an 8 x 60 magazine rifle it would be OK? ALL you have is more shots... but if you shoot well, all you need is ONE shot... go for it!
Find another outfitter/ PH combo..

The guys I hunt with loved when I brought my 318wr bsw shul double down last year ......so if you want a contact PM me and I will fix you up ......

I took a Kudu cull bull with mine and some warthogs ..... love shooting with a double ......
Kudu Cull taken with the double rifle !.jpg

Then tell them you are old school. That looks like a great rig. I was in Mozambique last summer with my Blaser S2 double rifle with .375 and 30-06 barrels. I shot buffalo with the .375 and sable, nyala, reedbuck, oribi, and duiker with the 30-06. Since it is scoped, like mine, I would suggest sighting in the right barrel directly on the target rather than splitting the difference. In other words, you are treating the first barrel as if it is a single shot. That will likely give you first round accuracy out there a ways (I can comfortably take a 250 yd shot with either cal in the S2 and, for instance, killed the sable at well over a hundred yards) and the instant second shot will be close enough because the gun regulates well.
showphoto.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Red Leg

I don't need to tell them anything. Seems they know it all already!

Will keep my money in my wallet as far as they are concerned.

Ade

8x60 Nice rifle looks like you did a great job of sorting her out. I have shot Sable and Cape eland with 9.3x74 and Warthog, zebra, and Cape Buff with my 450NE. On the eastern cape and in Limpopo. Both PH's thought it was great I wanted to hunt with a double. I would look for a different outfit and PH to hunt with. Look for someone that likes the challenge and wants to stalk up under a 100 yards/meters.

Looks like a great rifle to me! Hunt with what you are comfortable with!

that a fantastic looking rifle!

cant imagine why an outfitter would tell you not to use that rifle???

-matt

Obviously the guys you spoke to were making too much money. Amazing comments given the state of the economy and how many people actually want to hunt each year.
Obviously you have moved on to sympathetic PH's. Personally I would have thought they would have welcomed anyone with something a little unusual - even if only for photos for their website.
Good hunting.

as a handgun hunter they probably would laugh at me.oh well,it takes all kinds.

8 x 60

Great piece of kit. Made for work, not posing. Good on you for tidying it up and shooting it.

Thank you very much for showing it and telling us your story with it, so far. Hunting pictures, please!

Thanks for all the comments.

Attachments

• DSCF0754_zps0c25db07.jpg
    DSCF0754_zps0c25db07.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 158
Last edited by a moderator:
No, it's not appropriate, but for a different reason:

You'll never get a gun with wildcat brass through customs into Africa so you're dead in the water.

If you can get properly head stamped brass you'd be fine. Does Quality Cartridge, Bertram or Jamieson make brass for that load?

Firstly, it is not CUSTOMS that handles this issue...it is handled by the SAPS ( South African Police Service).
Further, I find your comment on the wildcat brass strange? Have you had an issue previously with such wildcat brass being refused entry into RSA?
In my experience of travelling abroad with firearms, the SAPS are interested in firearm license ( right to possess), calibre and serial numbers must match this license/ document to possess, the NUMBER of rounds being brought in/ taken out MUST correspond with the temp export/ import permit and then the calibre of ammo must also be the same as for the firearm being processed.
I would be interested to know of any other issue that has taken place previously with , for example, wildcat brass.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg