7x57 bullet choices

Discussion in 'Up To .375' started by Jeff Garcia, Jun 5, 2015.

1. Milan

Milan AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alberta, RSA
    Yes. It's looking like Hawk bullets or NP and Oryx for me. I did notice RWS velocities same with heavier bullets as those of S&B, PPU and American made ammo. It's good to know Norma also has slightly powerful ammo. I do like Norma factory ammo. Have not tried RWS yet. Maybe it's time. Again, I think in the 7x57 I'm not looking for more punch, just slightly flatter trajectory/more MPBR.

2. Clodo Ferreira

Clodo Ferreira AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hi Milan,

I don't understand your focus on a RNSP whith a lot of exposed lead, a form or shape factor, instead of a PERFORMANSE one!
    I am not trying to push, or sell!, the Nosler Partition bullet but, after use MANY type of 154 to 177 (yes, the TIG 177 grs), y couldn't find nothing better for your goal or needs, than that N.P 175 grs.
    Having said this, I would give a try to the heavy Nosler Accubond Long Range 7 mm bullet. If I remember well, there is a 168 gr one. This bullet should be GREAT for the 7x57 at 2650 f/s because is, like the NP, soft enough and strong enough to expands at low velocities and also penetrates at high velocities or very short range.

Good lucky in your search!!

CF

3. Milan

Milan AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alberta, RSA
    Clodo,
    I think you misunderstand...my focus on shape is desire to test if the RNSP works any worse or better than the other shapes. So performance is why I want bonded or thicker jacket one. I have an old rifle, using old cartridge design and I would like to see how the original old, long, RNSP bullets shoot out of it. I want them to be a bit tougher and I want to shoot them a bit faster than the current factory offerings because most agree that those are on the light side. That's all. An experiment really.

I know the new bullet designs fly better, stay together better and retain weight better than most of the old. So, if I just need to pick something that works, I have my choices covered. I can use 139 gr bullets and shoot flatter farther than original loads, I can use 156 to 162 gr bullets of good design to still shoot flatter than original and yet hit hard. But I'm also one of those old school folks that does not believe everything new is so much better and I also know that non-lead bullets like TSX, as great as they are, have been pushed because some idiots made an agenda to rid us of all lead. I love the monolithics but I don't want to see lead gone either. I for one never saw a problem with lead (be it leaded gasoline or lead bullets). Or even lead paint...lead dishes and house paint loaded with lead and babies licking it, well maybe I'm glad to see that gone.

So I wonder if I can push old school shaped bullet a bit faster than what is offered to match or slightly better the original intent and see if it gives me all the performance I need. 7x57 is new to me in terms of shooting/hunting use and I would like to learn more about it first hand. But I also do not hunt enough to try everything. So I just want to compare the light bullets I already tried to some mid weights and some old school design but pushed properly not to leave them disadvantaged.

Hope this makes some sense at least. It is hard to explain. If a friend asked me what to use for hunting, I would not say 7x57 due to it not being common around here anymore anyway. I would tell him 30-06, .280, .270. 7-08 or even some of the magnums. 300 WM will do all the hunting people like me ever do and it will do it very easily. But it is noisier and does have more recoil, etc. so I still tend to pick non-magnums and especially for new hunters/shooters. If a guy like me, more of a shooter and collector who hunts (than the other way around), asked what to use, I might recommend 7x57 to help keep the cartridge alive. If a friend who already has a 7x57 came and asked what bullets to use, I would steer him to someone who has hunted with this cartridge more than I have, but would not hesitate to still recommend NP or Oryx in the middle weights. The RNSP thing is strictly for my learning benefit and desire to test that particular combination.

But please do not fret, for my handloads to try, hopefully this winter, the mid weight and heavy NP as well as the Oryx and some other ones (162gr A-Max and maybe some Accubond or TSX/TTSX or similar) will get loaded. Then I still have to see what shoots well out of the barrel. So none of the suggestions have gone unnoticed or ignored and are really appreciated.

Many thanks.

ZG47 likes this.

4. Clodo Ferreira

Video/Photo:
    Hi Milan,

Sorry! I didn't wanted to be rude! And thank you very much for your detailed post, putting very clear your goal!
    Would be I t

5. Milan

Milan AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alberta, RSA
    I did not think your post was rude, nor did I take it as such. But figured my questions could confuse people so I thought I'd clarify. Any corrections of my opinions on the bullets are welcome as they are just that, opinions.

6. Clodo Ferreira

Video/Photo:
    Hi Milan,

Good luck!

CF

7. HWL

HWL AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway
    RWS 11,2g/173gr H-Mantel was my choice in 7x57R for a long time.

Always an exit hole and you could "eat to the hole"....(y)

HWL

ZG47 and Milan like this.

8. rookhawk

rookhawk AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    The Barnes 140gr is a hell of a bullet. My son used it last weekend on a deer and it made a 7mm entrance wound and a 1" exit wound with a clean pass through. I'd wager that 50% of its energy still remained. (shot from a 7x64 so it has a bit more gusto than a 7x57...but close enough)

If I were to hunt elk or to use it for game in Africa, that 140gr barnes is the perfect nexus of deep penetration, expansion, and flat shooting.

On the other hand, I've used the 175gr nosler partition in my 7x57 for DOZENS of african and north American animals. It works but the jacket separation and fragmentation is not 100% predictable or ideal. It was the best they had in 1970, it isn't the best any longer. (and the 175gr drops like a mortar round) As I mentioned in a prior post, the Swift A-frame deserves serious consideration also.

Milan likes this.

9. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Elite

good experiment milan.
    nothing worse than unanswered questions.
    bruce,

Milan likes this.

10. Milan

Milan AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alberta, RSA
    LOL...I'm the worst. It is funny what I tend to try to know and how I dismiss other knowledge. Maybe I should forget this and instead try to learn a new language. Probably more valuable knowledge.

bruce moulds likes this.

11. Mr. Zorg

Mr. Zorg AH Veteran

Video/Photo:

12. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
    I lament the ever increasing death bellow of, wood framed canvas back packs, round nose bullets and bamboo fly rods.

Milan and 7x57Joe like this.

13. Milan

Milan AH Enthusiast

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Alberta, RSA
    Thanks Mr. Zorg.

Mr. Zorg likes this.