7mm Rem Mag

btheis13

AH senior member
Reaction score
I just booked my first safari in South Africa. I'm going to take my 7mm rem mag with me, so I'm looking for ammunition for it. My PH recommends Swift a-frame or Barnes TSX. Does anyone have either of these they would like to sell?

It sounds like you are shooting plains game, I also shoot the 7mm magnum, I would suggest a quality bullet but your decision should be based on what you are going to shoot. Swift A frames are sometimes difficult to locate, Barnes are great bullets but I’m not sure they are needed for plains game. I would also consider bullets such as Nosler Partition or Norma Oryx. Find what you can get then get some practice shooting it, particularly from sticks rather than the bench.

Swift A Frames and Barnes TSX are great bullets and I have used the swift A frame in my 338 WM and 375 RUM to take several game animals around the globe. My 7MM Mag shoots the 168 grain Nosler Accubond Long Range very well. I have used it in Africa and New Zealand to take Eland and Red Stag. Also shot several of the mid sized plains game like wildebeest and nyala. I would take any bonded (including Nosler Partitions which is technically not a bonded bullet) or monometal bullet that shoots the most accurate in your rifle

I used Barnes Vor-TX 168 grain in my 30-06 for my first two hunts. Dropped everything from springbok to kudu and zebra. Nothing went far. That said, looking at what Midway USA has I'd go with the Barnes Vor-TX in 160 grain for a 7mm mag.

It sounds like you are shooting plains game, I also shoot the 7mm magnum, I would suggest a quality bullet but your decision should be based on what you are going to shoot. Swift A frames are sometimes difficult to locate, Barnes are great bullets but I’m not sure they are needed for plains game. I would also consider bullets such as Nosler Partition or Norma Oryx. Find what you can get then get some practice shooting it, particularly from sticks rather than the bench.

Yes, impala, zebra, kudu and gemsbuck are the target species.
Thank you for the input. I can find Swift on GB. I plan to get multiple types and see what my Tikka likes best.

I very much agree with your PH. Barnes TSX/TTSX and Swift A-Frame are excellent choices.

Take a look at www.ammoseek.com for deals on these.

I know there will be hell to pay…
I would not consider the Nosler Partition a good choice because the core and jacket are not bonded together. Too many better options like the Norma Oryx or Federal TBBC. Although I’m not sure the TBBC is available in 7mmRM.

Why does ammunition manufacturers have to make things so confusing?

Barnes makes the VOR-TX Rifle 7mm Rem Mag 160 gr TSX Boat Tail (item #21529)
And
Federal makes the Barnes TSX 7mm Rem Mag 160 gr (item #P7RN)

Which one is the one that is recommended in all of the above posts?

Which ever ones shoots best in your rifle.

While it is the same bullet the loading and or velocity will be quite different.

I have been able to load 175 grain swift a frame that my 7mag loves. I have used it on 5 different safaris. it also likes 168 accubond long range bullets. One shot kill on an elk at 240 yards DRT in 2022. All of these bullets that have been recommended work well. It's which one your rifle likes the best!

On my first safari I used 180 grs Accubons out of a 300 Weatherby and they worked flawlessly. Shot everything from Impala, zebra to kudu. Shot a total of 6 animals

I very much agree with your PH. Barnes TSX/TTSX and Swift A-Frame are excellent choices.

Take a look at www.ammoseek.com for deals on these.

I know there will be hell to pay…
I would not consider the Nosler Partition a good choice because the core and jacket are not bonded together. Too many better options like the Norma Oryx or Federal TBBC. Although I’m not sure the TBBC is available in 7mmRM.
Federal packaged the 160 Grain TBBC in 7mm RM, but I am not sure they still offer it.

I like the 160 Grain Nosler Partition in the 7mm RM and have killed both deer and bull elk with this combination. It is effective and based on my experieince with PG it will work fine.. As a substitute for the SAF I would consider the Norma Oryx bonded bullet.

a lot depends on the rifle, what is the twist rate, my 7mm doesn’t shoot bullets heavier than 168 gr. very well, it’s 1-9 twist so doesn’t stabilize heavier bullets quite as well, it will shoot them just not as accurate as lighter bullets, it loves the 168 gr VLD and 160 gr. Accubond. I’ve taken Elk, Deer just fine with these, the Berger VLD has been flawless In all situations.

Federal packaged the 160 Grain TBBC in 7mm RM, but I am not sure they still offer it.

I like the 160 Grain Nosler Partition in the 7mm RM and have killed both deer and bull elk with this combination. It is effective and based on my experieince with PG it will work fine.. As a substitute for the SAF I would consider the Norma Oryx bonded bullet.
I believe you are correct...Federal no longer offers the TBBC in 7mmRM.

Never been a fan of the NP regardless of the caliber or intended target. I'm probably in the minority on this, but when there is a game animal at the other end of the barrel I believe they are owed better than that.

The Barnes TSX/TTSX, Swift A-Frame, Federal TBBC and Norma Oryx are in another league.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildegardH

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you